Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Fillers usually come in groups while they prep the next arc lol

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'd much rather a group of filler like this instead of a random episode interrupting a fight or something.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eurell View Post
    I'd much rather a group of filler like this instead of a random episode interrupting a fight or something.
    This. Otherwise we get whatever happened to Naruto, and fuck that noise. These short spurts of fun are fine, if future arcs are like this last arc, then shit is too emotionally intensive to be turned up to 11 all the time. I can't deal with a dead Bulma every week god damn.

It's good to decompress from an arc, Super doesn't drag shit on like DBZ did so a few full filler episodes are good. Less Pilaf and co. when shit gets real though is probably my only real complaint.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I swear one of the movies had a flashback within a flashback. I'm glad we're not seeing that level of ridiculousness in this new series.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    This. Otherwise we get whatever happened to Naruto, and fuck that noise. These short spurts of fun are fine, if future arcs are like this last arc, then shit is too emotionally intensive to be turned up to 11 all the time. I can't deal with a dead Bulma every week god damn.
    Literally the only time I didn't hate this in Naruto was surprisingly during the last battle and they cut back to the past for history on the Sage. Cutting away from the middle of the plot in every other moment in Bleach and Naruto has annoyed me to no end.

I stick my dick in Crayfish
    BG Level

Well to be fair, in bleach when there was a flashback mid fight, it was because a bad guy was going to lose, and they were giving him some background/depth so his death had some meaning.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Naruto became unwatchable in my opinion when every other episode was spliced with some filler garbage. I'd very much prefer what Super does.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The nice trend with Jump manga based animes lately is that they aren't doing the "continues forever" format like they did with Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc etc. Haikyuu, Hero Acadamy, Assassination Classroom, Shokugeki, Nisekoi, even Gintama and Bakuman (and a few more I'm sure I'm forgetting) too are all going/went into season/cour format and having breaks inbetween so they don't have to drag out each episode and worry about catching up to the source material. It's definitely made a big difference in the animes too. Much higher quality, a lot closer to the source material, no unnecessary fillers or dragged out moments.

Gintama is an especially interesting example. Started off with the "continues forever" format and even in the anime itself they broke the 4th wall talking about how they were going to catch up to the manga too quickly. But when the show got cancelled after 4 years, they started bring it back for a couple of cours every year or two and just focused on a couple arcs with some side story shenanigans. They made the transition and I'm very happy for it.

But fuck this live action Gintama shit I'm seeing float around. Not looking forward to that >_>

Fillers are fine when done right. The problem is, most aren't. Getting mad that something isn't in the source material always struck me as a bit silly. Of course, getting mad because it contradicts the source material, or maybe in the rare case upstages it, is understandable. Frankly, I'll never quite get those that insist manga is the superior medium when so much potential sensory output is lost and a lot of us here can acknowledge that things might get cut for the sake of deadlines or even editorial disputes. And while anime isn't immune to this once it's greenlit and production starts, most of the time they do at least have the source to serve as a storyboard.

tl;dr It's easy being an armchair artist.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's not a matter of superiority. Personally I prefer manga simply because I like reading and cause it takes me a couple of min to read a chapter vs 20 to watch an episode. That way I can follow a lot more series too because I would never have the time to watch as many anime as I read manga.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

My main issue with fillers is that for series that are based off some other source like a manga or LN or whatever, a filler will never move the story forward. And often times if the original author/creator isn't involved (which used to be the case pretty consistently but not so much frequently it seems), the fillers wouldn't even add anything to a character's depth. At best, you might get a reinforcement of a lesson previously learned but generally it's fluff content that shows off a recent achievement that's already covered.

For example; the 2 years of Naruto fillers before the timeskip, seemingly every single filler arc ended with Naruto Rasengan'ing the baddie. You'd get fillers that would bring in characters that maybe don't get as much screentime as usual being minor characters, have an arc that features them, show off their same move they already did in the show prior, and have the arc end with nothing new added and no story progression with Naruto winning via another same old same old Rasengan. So it feels like a waste of time.

But I mean, that's for shows from a source. For Super though, the anime is ahead of the manga and pretty much carving it's own path. So they can take liberties with the fillers and while the plot might not necessarily always go forward, they can at least contribute to character growth or hint at the next arc or just give something that adds to the show in general. So it's not always all bad.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The only filler I've ever appreciated is the Zanpa arc in Bleach, and that actually involved Kubo too.

(and the DBZ driving license ep ofc)

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Great form, still has it.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Great form, still has it.
    Yamcha got abused the whole episode

Do they watch TFS? Because omfg that's hilarious...

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Do they watch TFS? Because omfg that's hilarious...

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    The sub with this was great

" I remember seeing this pose somewhere". "Bitter memory"

Heh

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

Golden episode. That pose at the end, Yamcha taking in the beauty of the sky and believing he wont make it to the next base alive. There is nothing Team Four Star could do to this episode.