+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Moving to Thetford england. how do I British mate?

So as the shit goes, I only know demo and lin from BG are gonna be around London. Any other BG peeps I got questions. Need to find a comic book/ magic the gathering shop. Are there recreational football/soccer clubs all over for old ass adults? Are we gonna get snow this year? Do the red coats celebrate Christmas? Can I go hunting in england? What's a good 6-8k dollar car to own? What about a truck? Need something I can pay off in 3 years. What's the coast like on the east side of the island? Is the chunnel scary?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

This movie will teach you everything you need to know about being a Yank in Jolly old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNLlviIH5s

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

whatever you do, don't 'ave a giggle

I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath for a couple years back in '07. Can't really talk to the comic book shop, but I did play on the base soccer team and we traveled all over the country playing local adult league teams. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Went to a local pub afterwards usually to relax. You'll probably get snow/ice during the dark/cold months. Yes they celebrate Christmas. Never went hunting, but they do have pretty restrictive gun laws (i.e. nearly impossible to own a gun). A lot of good cars in that range (BMWs, Peugolt, etc.), and the roads are kinda small for a big truck. Didn't use the chunnel; just used Ryan Air to fly everywhere (super cheap).

If you're a soccer fan, definitely try to get to a few games. Went to a couple Arsenal games and it was pretty awesome.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

don't join a 2 bob mob

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    don't join a 2 bob mob
    wat dis?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Still waiting for that phone call.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...34/9266932.jpg

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

You have chosen... poorly.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

brandon, your in fuckings king bay or something..... i am now even further.... i am a shitty internet buddy, but ypur facebook stuff make a me smile

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

wtf is with the govt names, yall niggas

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Norwich isn't far from there and they have a decent soccer team, currently in the Championship league (one below the Premiership, Mancherster United, Chelsea etc) if you want to catch a pro match. You would easily be able to join a soccer team, from Pub teams (Sunday League) and there is an abundance of lower tier teams and 5-7 a side options pretty much all over England.

Great Yarmouth is along that stretch of Coast, never been myself but i know a lot of people go there in the summer for vacations/days out.

In terms of comic book stores & MTG you may need to go into Cambridge or Norwich to get somewhere half decent, i can't say for the South, but up North comic book stars are fairly sporadic.

Plenty of Cars available, all shapes n sizes... Just have to look around, pay off time depends how much you can pay monthly or whatever. Trucks and bigger vehicles will cost you more in road tax (an annual payment to the government, increases with Co2 emissions of engine i believe)

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by shepardG View Post
    brandon, your in fuckings king bay or something..... i am now even further.... i am a shitty internet buddy, but ypur facebook stuff make a me smile
    Nah I'm in Groton. Closer than ever! I'm too single to get myself stationed in King's Bay.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Mind the gap. Don't do Oliver Twist impressions. Fuck Piccadilly, go to Savile Row. Going to Hartford and asking directions to the Rainbow 6 base will not end well. Black Sausage is a trap, Bangers and Mash is OP. Chavs are everywhere. Kababs are everywhere.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

DON'T JOIN A 2 BOB MOB

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

even fight my bill?

WAT FISTICUFFS

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

GO TO TIMBUKTU?

AND BACK AGAIN

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

WE'D RISK LIFE AND LIMB

TO KEEP YOU IN THE SWIM

Thetford appears to be a nowhere town in the middle of Norfolk.

You have the advantage that you won't be related to the locals. Incest is rife in those parts. For a nowheresville like that I would look to the nearest large town for comic-bookery. Football clubs (It's not soccer. Only you Yanks call it that.) are fairly common in any small town. Local amateur leagues happen. My brother-in-law plays for a local rugby club and my brother plays cricket at similar amateur level. There's often a local government website that'll have relevant information like training days, try-outs, and all that.

Be prepared to drink a lot of beer if you join one. We lead the world in functional alcoholism, mainly on the backs of our amateur sportsmen.

Snow - prepare for disappointment. Normally a few meager snowflakes in the middle of January. Christmas - yes we do. All the gifts. All the turkey. All the booze. Christmas Day is an excercise in conspicuous gluttony. Haven't had redcoats since the mid-nineteenth century. Sticks out like a sore thumb on the battlefield so we switched to khaki.

Hunting: https://www.gov.uk/hunting/overview
    Unlikely to get a firearms license as a foreigner, and you can't use anything else, so I'm gonna say "nope." Vehicle? I don't feckin' know, it's the same sodding things as you have in the Land of the Free but with the steering wheel on the right instead of left. Nobody drives trucks really. Buy a Ford. Start thinking of things in real money: $8k is more like £4k so budget accordingly. The coast is crap. Nobody's called it the Chunnel since the '90s. It's the Eurostar and it's not scary. Well, people in Norfolk might find it scary but they're still getting used to this new-fangled "don't marry your sister" business.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Regarding comics and the ilk, you might be better off looking at http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/ or independent shops.

Football - can't comment, I'm female and find it boring as hell.

Snow - possibly might be? I live in northwest England and usually it's always the south that gets hit. If it doesn't snow at Christmas it may in Jan/Feb - that seems to be our new winter period.

Hunting - I know nothing really. There's fox hunting if you're posh enough.

Cars - I'm on my 3rd VW Polo. They're decent enough, good mileage, tend to hold their value. My current one was £4k (about $6.2k) for a 9 year old but fairly low mileage. You wouldn't really need a van unless your job demands it, eg. lugging large things around, equipment etc.

The coast is probably a tad wet, windy and chilly at the moment.

Never been in the Channel Tunnel. I'd imagine if you're claustrophobic you won't like it. The last and only time I crossed the English Channel was on a ferry more then 20 years ago. I fucking loved every second because we were in a gale and we were going up and down like on a rollercoaster. Most everyone else was upchucking.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by AoE View Post
    Nah I'm in Groton. Closer than ever! I'm too single to get myself stationed in King's Bay.
    groton is still in fucking america, i googled groton, and saw new london or some shit and was like OH HELL YEAH, and then zoomed out and was like...WELP....

sad face me