+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 66 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

They won't be added to the normal job pool. They're added as a % chance on ability summons. It's no use hoping to pull mythic ninja, when the other jobs are more reliable.

There's especially no use pulling for them outside of an event, considering they seem to release ultimate cards every other special event. Much better to pull on those, since you can get an ultimate, a limited card, and limited job then.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well I got Viking which is... ok I guess? Was hoping for Dancer but w/e.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Tidus and Cloud are not solely warrior jobs. Tidus gets magic bonus from warrior and mage while Cloud is warrior and ranger (Mage Lore and Thief Lore, last panel, page 8).

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

So I installed the steam version and am messing around with it.

I've read up a bit, so I know the common things (save magicite for the gift box, hold elixirs for farming on the 8ths, etc.), and I've avoided spending any non-farmable resources.

I've cleared chapter 1 and just a bit into chapter 2, and while I haven't died yet, it's been cutting it closer and closer.
    I jumped over to the first FF7 map and I'm about midway through that as well, but again I can see a wall on the way.

The only thing I can see doing atm to try to ease things is to grind ch1 bosses for augment mats, get everything to 2 star, fusion up ability levels, and max the levels on cards. (Also Job/Skill panel)
    But I've done a couple so far, and it hasn't seemed to cause any big breakpoints in power.

So with all these other areas to go to, and not wanting to use tickets on the wrong things at the wrong time, basically I ask:

What should I be doing right now?
    What should I absolutely not do until [some flag point]?

You've got the right idea on augmenting, but what you target is also a factor. What job you chose will ultimately influence what should and shouldn't be doing at the moment. As a general suggestion, I'd say to pick one conal card (should cost 4 orbs at 3 star) and 2 single targets of the other elements for your job from the ability shop. Since you're still low, the 4th card should probably be Cure. 5th player card choices should prioritize haste or maybe even a second cure. Nonetheless, alongside leveling/augmenting/unlocking your cards, you'll want to get your job up, too. This is best achieved in the 2nd gigantaur land, but you're also not going to have the cards/augments to really hyper-focus on an element and walk away with like 150k seeds per 3 tablets. Still, that's a somewhat more distant goal.

Anyway, don't feel bad about doing the story content on easy if you're having a hard time. I personally felt chapter 2 was rough for a mage since jobs with wind orbs weren't common when I did it, and you had a lot of soulflayers and similar. Nonetheless, finishing the chapter will up your card level maxes just like ch1 did, so that'll give you a tad more power to work with. At this point, I'd suggest working your way through the silent ruins since that came out before chapter 3. This is a seed area, so specific types will get a bonus daily with all on sunday. This'll probably be the greatest contribution to your job growth for now. Once you full clear here, do the 2nd seed zone since I think this also came out before ch3.

But yeah, hold your elixirs for mobius days or events where they're doubled. If you're wary about doing the level 5-6 fusions for your chosen abilities, this is also a good time to do them for the 20% boosts. Starting late as you have, it's just going to be a slow and steady process. Growstars will be a block unless you buy them, but I find going 4>5* to be an easier process, only energy intensive (roughly 400 energy per pneuma doing the medium difficulty element zone, but you'll also get gobs of other augment mats). I'd probably prioritize one ST ability going to 4* first, then your conal, and by this point, probably shifting from Cure to your own Haste and 4*ing that. Unless events give out more stars, you'll be a couple months for that alone.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Save your growstart for as long as possible. Focus on one class (ranger, mage or warrior) in the beginning, and get one of each element of the Sicarius MP cards for the class you focus on when you can. They will last you a long time (as a matter of fact, I still use them a majority of the time for SP). The upside of Sicarius cards is that they are relatively easy to obtain, are high-damage, and don't cost Growstars to augment.

Right now, I'm sitting on 14 Growstars, and I've got every single one since the release, and used them extremely sparingly. You get roughly 1 a month from the Mobius box. That's pretty much it. Sometimes (rarely) you get them from chapters, events and MP store. Only spend Growstars you are sure you will use for a long time — for me, that has been cards like Knights of the Round, Hermes, Zidane, and other powerful event cards, like the dark cloud card from this event.

Personal opinion on the sicarius cards is that they're not good at taking down the orange gauges compared to counterparts like Earth Sword or Fang, which I find crucial taking on certain mobs on Hard like the big bombs or shadow blanks. As well, augmenting them up to rank 10 is going to be very MP energy intensive, especially if not their cycle, if you don't use ability cards and/or take advantage of mobius day. So, while I understand the logic of sitting on growstars until something useful comes along, sitting on a dozen plus strikes me as wasteful in its own way.

As is, I imagine his summoning tickets are probably going to go toward job pulls, as getting off the starter jobs is a decent boost of power on its own. So, while he may luck into some native 4* here or there, they might not be the useful types or can't be farmed for the moment. Either way, still stand behind Haste being the first card he should try to 5*. Every class can use it and it's not hard finding a KotR or YRP in friend cards.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Maybe it's an issue on other classes,but I have had no problem getting yellow bar down on ranger classes. On trash mobs, even on hard mode, it takes me at most 2 attacks to bring yellow bar down on a mob. On bosses it can take up to 5-6 but in those situations you can use a "Break defense down" card.

Cloak & Dagger
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Demenic Altreas
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If you're using one of 3 starter jobs, stop. Use whatever summon tickets for a job pull. Keep pulling until you find a job you like. Any non-starter job will seem weaker for the first panel of leveling or so, but after that their stats raise much higher than the starters. Using starters to clear content is not impossible, people have done it. It certainly makes things a lot more difficult though.

Also, once you have a class built up a bit, go into multiplayer and farm 1 star MP bosses. Specifically the player started rooms that have the life raft in the upper corner. This means 20 bonus magicite if you win. This can be done 5 different times per day. This essentially doubles the magicite you get daily. It'll add up quick and let you spend your magicite on whatever you wish. Some use the excess magicite in a month's time on extra job or ability pulls. Others use it in the item shop to buy growstars or save up for the big growstar pack.

I saw that an above poster recommended a cone AOE. I would have to disagree with this. I do not favor cones at all, same with most of the playerbase to my knowledge. They're okay for starting out, but I wouldn't use them in the long run. Single target or 5-star AOE are what you want for damage long-term. Honeslty, until you get into the latest few chapters and events, AOE isn't needed. It honestly still isn't. It just makes things a lot easier and quicker. You can clear everything with single target abilities for damage.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Ranger classes tend to be breakers. Don't worry so much about elixirs as they are given out pretty generously. I have 120+ and I try to use one or two a day and a few on Mobius Day. How many summon tickets do you have? You'll get 6 with your first Mobius box. Personally, I think the Onion Jobs are fine and cards matter more.

OK SAM VS SAM With 240 deck (rando deck, not even good for OK/SAM)
    6508 VS 6047 HP
    655 VS 1087 Attack
    354 VS 439 Break
    567% VS 387% Magic
    6 Crit
    7 VS 8 Speed
    4 Defense

So, it is weaker, but it's not like you're running around naked level 1 VS fully geared BiS. Let me know and I can run MP for you. I'll run SCH/WHM/Cloud and you can take whatever.

Edit: Probably go OK Warrior since you should have a Masa from VII event and that thing is super awesome.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Imo the best use of summon tickets right now is an ability card summon considering you can also pull two Legend jobs from there.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Imo the best use of summon tickets right now is an ability card summon considering you can also pull two Legend jobs from there.
    This. Because ability cards, I think, matter more, plus the bonus chance for job/supreme.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    If you intend to pull for legend jobs, it's better to save your tickets for the next event imo. Gives you more bang for your buck, considering you get the card(s), event card, chance for legend job, and Supreme card (when it's in the pool).

Honestly, the current legend jobs are sub-par. Cloud only gets good when he gets the custom panels. The next few legendary jobs, however, will be great. Lightning, Hope, Zidane and Snow are all awesome.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I meant for new players. There's really no reason to waste 6 tickets on a job summon if you're new when those tickets could get you ability cards and decent jobs at the same time.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

So it seems summon tickets are really fucking contentious.

I upgraded the OK card to the Knight panel and that eased things up.
    I've finished the first map of FF7 now, and I'm up to the ch2 tournament.

I can't find any access to a silent ruins on the globe map, is it the area past the cockatrice on the ch1 map?

It's locked until you finish ch2.

Daniel Rand
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Almost done done farming midgar rebirth for cloud card. This has really been a pain glad its almost over

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    What should I be doing right now?
    What should I absolutely not do until [some flag point]?
    I would pull a job (if you haven't). Buy hermes and barrier (choco) from ability shop and max them/growstar. Work on Sicarius cards from MP for damage.
    With a 8* maxed job with haste and barrier you should clear all content pretty easy on normal difficulty. save as many tickets as you can, should be in good shape with a nice stockpile by the time you get the hang of the game and what you want to aim for. as another poster said i would wait for supreme card pull so you have a chance at legend job and supreme card.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

As a side note: Dancer, Dragoon, Scholar, Rogue, Berserker, and Occulist are all excellent solo jobs due to their "Drive Heal" abilities. If you pull any of those, you should be able to clear all content on Normal even without barrier.

I use Dancer and Rogue for everything. Among those two jobs, the only element I'm missing is Darkness, which should be covered by Occulist and Berserker, whenever they are released this month. It doesn't hurt that the Rogue weapon is beyond amazing with its 15% Prism Draw.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I don't think we're getting Occultist this month. The real one at least.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah, only Rogue and Berserker has been announced officially. Wouldn't be the first time they've made a mistake though, they announced Berserker as a rogue, failed to mention the new cards a few updates back, falsely stated that the magicite timers would be shortened, and falsely announced summoning tickets in MP. They also didn't announce the Tidus job until like the day before it was released, or perhaps I have that mixed up with another announcement.