+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17
    Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I wouldn't mind it if they had two stations in the main room next year solely for cutting down on atrocious setup times. Stream on one set, setup/last-minute practice on the other.

I don't know what the logistics of them acquiring a whole second set of capture equipment is though given it's a charity event.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    I wouldn't mind it if they had two stations in the main room next year solely for cutting down on atrocious setup times. Stream on one set, setup/last-minute practice on the other.

I don't know what the logistics of them acquiring a whole second set of capture equipment is though given it's a charity event.
    Somewhere around a quarter of the funds raised don't go to charity so they probably have the cash to blow.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

soundwarning

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post

Yeah, I'm feeling like there should be enough nerds where setting up four full-time stations with all the appropriate consoles shouldn't be an issue. The only thing(s) that would change is the runners using their own cartridges and controllers. Since switchers are a thing, what the feed picks up is just a matter of pressing a button to the currently active console. I just kind of groan thinking back to the SotN run where it seemed held up by a guy using a 16" pink princess CRT TV. Mandatory for the run? I'm finding that difficult to believe. Either way, cutting down on all the moving parts would give them way more time to stream more games/runs. And if the issue is commentary, I'd doubt you'd have a shortage of volunteers even if it is just to MST3K the run in progress.

...but maybe I'm just a bit bias since I actually have my consoles set up in this manner, including the ability to stream to my PC. Only reason I actually don't try to make myself a personality out of it at the moment is because my PC is too old to actually handle the process well. :/

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

That would be totally cool if not for the limit of probably choking themselves on bandwidth. Try to imagine not only the whole stream itself that is capturing everything, but the donation station connected, other loose tablets and laptops connected to it for monitoring chat and running the stream and then anyone else that is also connecting to it. Maybe if they were on fiber but they're probably running some shitty 50meg connection there which drys up pretty fast with that many things connecting onto the LAN, not to mention setting up the switches and the sub netting of everything if you want it done properly would be a fucking nightmare. What they are probably running with isn't your typical plug into a router and go along your way.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

The only thing(s) that would change is the runners using their own cartridges and controllers.
    AFAIK this was already a rule, per https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/...agdq_2015.html

Bring your own controllers and games. Each runner is expected to provide these essentials for their run. Consoles will be provided by GDQ staff for the marathon room, but we encourage you to bring your own console to use for practice. For PC games, you are expected to bring a copy of your game on a USB drive. A cheap keyboard and mouse will be provided, but if you have peripherals with which you are more comfortable, you should bring those.
    I'm not sure what the deal was with the pink TV. It's possible they only had the extra CRTs set up specifically for races, so it might not have mattered. There's a picture on SDA forums of a ridiculous amount of CRTs they keep in stock for the event. I assume with how big it has gotten that they have some local storage they keep equipment in for AGDQ and SGDQ separately so they're not constantly shipping tons of equipment across the country twice a year.

I agree that the logistics for races should be improved and I'm sure they're going to discuss it for SGDQ. One solution might be "have fewer races", but they were popular enough this year that as long as they can get competitive players and good commentary it's worth doing as many of them as can be supported.