Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

LPL is on right now and we don't have a thread for it. King just shitstomped EP. Penta for Fizz, ridiculously one-sided.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

GE Tigers have become the first team that I want to root for since the season 3 KT Bullets. They can shift gears smoothly between games from an AoE CC team-fight comp to a high mobility pick comp. Lee's jungling has been spectacular, ganking not based on lane matchups, but rather by which of his laners will need the most help getting through a weaker mid-game. Smeb's Gnar play has been the best I've seen out of anybody, and I can't imagine anyone leaving it open for him any more. I'm really impressed by them, and already have valentine's circled on my calender because of their match against SKT.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Been watching the link pasted here for Jin Air vs Samsung, first time watching and it's actually entertaining!

Some noob questions about the setup if someone can enlighten me:

1. Is it required to have a fixed 5 person role? (Top, Support, Jungle, Mid and I forget the other) - I understand this is a different level to the generic games I play online, but it feels strange to me that it seems to be pre-announced so the opponents can see
    2. Where the players are sat, there seems to be 2 additional dudes... (Adults?) behind them. Are they game marshals/team managers?
    3. Initially I thought the Samsung team name was a joke, then I saw one of the player's uniform with some of Samsung's products on there haha, I thought that's kinda cool.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

1. Currently, yes. There are 5 roles. Top, Mid, Jungle, Marksman (Also called AD Carry) and, Support. Each role has specific things that they do. It's a bit of a long explanation.

2. Coaches usually. There are also referees and officials making sure rules are adhered to.

3. Korea has VERY major sponsors for esports. Samsung, Airlines, Phone companies. It's much more integrated into the culture.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Pray is looking like a top-tier ADC again this season. Part of it is a lot of ADC talent going to China and NA, but his play with Gorilla has been spot on against every bot lane duo they've matched up against.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

The first game in the JinAir vs. SKT series was like eye bleach after watching EU. Sucks that I have to go out for a few hours, so I'll have catch the rest of tonight's matches on VoD later.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

Bengi back to his old awful self and kkoma has to seriously work on his pick/ban strategies.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

I don't understand why Kkoma keeps blind picking Xerath for Faker's games, and leaving Gnarvan up. It's going to be a bad strategy when they go up against GE Tigers, especially with how godlike Smeb's Gnar is. Bengi looks lost in the early game even on early game champions like Lee Sin. The first half of the season is winding down, and SKT is looking less and less like the team that was expected to waltz back into their spot as the top team in Korea.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

SKT might be done fucking around. Faker in for game 1 against Samsung, and a strong pick/ban.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

SKT this season feels a lot like DIG 2014, strong mid/top, decent enough bot, awful jungler.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Bengi wasn't that bad in the second game where he focused more on deep warding and counter jungling than ganking. If they just have him try that style more instead of getting overly aggressive, they will be fine. When you have Marin and Faker, you don't need your jungle to try and hard carry. Too often he goes for aggressive plays early in the game and either wastes a ton of time and falls behind, or botches the play and creates a bad situation for his team.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Tonight's GE uniforms are... interesting.

EDIT: God damn, this GE Tigers team is incredible lately. Dominating every game from the pick/ban. One match left in the first half against SKT, which should be a great set.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

All hail GE Tigers, our new kawaii overlords and future world champs.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Coco sets new competitive CS record on Jayce with 726 in a game a few seconds shy of 80 minutes.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That Edward 2nd game was just a steam roll never seen a game forfeited before have to say the Chinese and Koreans really make the Na/Eu lcs look like toddlers in the park

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I dunno, korea seems so sloppy at the moment, I don't even feel like the top 2-3 teams would be more than slim favourites over clg/tsm/fnc/sk/ele/c9 at the moment.
    China as well, their teamfighting is great but their overall strat/comps are just so fucking off the wall.
    There's a lot of ego/yolo in china that wouldn't work out I feel like.

That said - the real strength in korea is not the players, it's the coaching staff - most of whom were ex BW players, have very strong mechanical skills, and really know how to drill players.

You see it all the time - really strong korean players, coming to NA/EU and looking pretty average - because they lost their support staff who were doing a lot of the thinking for them.
    Korea will be a lot stronger again next split I imagine, and will probably win worlds again.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

This is something Monte and Clement Chu talked about a lot on the newest SI, and I agree with their points about it. The strength right now in Korea is in their pick/ban phase and champion pools. Like Gryffes said, the coaching structure in Korea makes sure that their players are proficient with any and all currently strong picks. They also know how to exploit a weakness in a player's champion pool, as Shy has been repeatedly exposed for not having a solid Gnar. There are currently a number of champions who are very strong at multiple roles, and can fit into multiple team comps (Kass, Lulu, Lissandra, Ezreal, Morgana to name a few), and the Korean pick/ban strategy is to try to simultaneously hide your intended comp while countering the other teams' comp (overall comp strategy, not lane match ups) via these strong flex picks.

A lot of the poor play by western teams lately has been due to them being slower in picking up the current power picks, combined with a lack of compositional planning during pick/ban. We see a lot of players picking the strong champions, and clearly not being able to play them at a high level as Wickd has shown with his atrocious Gnar play, for example. The general pick/ban strategy for western teams continues to focus too much on lane match ups, and not enough on overall team composition with a plan on how to play out the games. I suspect this is why we see a fair bit of Graves in the west, yet he is non-existent in OGN. He's a great early lane champion who is too immobile for a pick comp, too short range for a poke comp, and doesn't offer enough sustained damage for a heavy-engage team fight comp (the three most prominent comps at the moment).

On paper it would be easy to look at Elements, C9, TSM or SK and think that they match up favorably against GE, JinAir or SKT. However, I don't think any of the top western teams right now would survive pick/ban against the top Korean teams. Oh, and SK needs to learn how to put down a ward for fuck's sake.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm fed up of seeing corki picked up tbh way to many missed skill shots then a dead adc but this is only spring there is always summer to run yet (chance of new champs as well)

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Wisdom is terrible.