+ Reply to Thread
    So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

CAR AUdio: Ya know, because i'm all about that base.

Audiophiles,

I used to be big into this when i was younger, then i realized what a total waste of money it was in the capacity that I was into it. So I sorta let the hobby go when i got rid of my 98 civc.
    I had some pretty sweet swag, but alas, times have changed and I haven't a clue whats' top of the line, or mass produced bullshit.

My situation:
    I just bought a UK spec 2005 Honda CRV EX, with the nav, however, it didn't come with the nav disk, I downloaded a fiel of a supposed compatible nav disk (v2.11 western europe) but i'm still not having any luck getting it to work right.

So i can listen to the radio, and play cd's. cause that's what people in 2015 do ....right? no. It's a double DIN head unit. Easy enough to remove (i did, and cleaned the dvd lense for the nav disc) but I have no idea what a good replacement would be.
    Here's a list of things I'd like:
    -Bluetooth
    -ability to play DVD's or hell, even blu-rays
    -European navigation(or the ability for me to download maps and shit for it.)
    -HD screen (nice resolution)
    -the ability to use the steering wheel remote

I looked at some clarions, and they're nice, but they all have so much fucking stuff with them, i have no idea what's good anymore. Did Eclipse go out of bussiness? Also I won't be running this stuff through an amp, just using the factory speakers (yeah not diving back into it that hard...yet)

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

>base

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Good news: Shit is cheaper than it was in the mid-90s.

Bad news: Quality is inferior as well.

Some notes: Alpine moved their assembly overseas in the mid-90s and Rockford Fosgate did the same in the late 90s, early 2000s (yay China). I would avoid both. In addition, about 3-5 years ago the wiring harness that is used for aftermarket head units was changed. If your car already had an aftermarket head unit in it, it will probably need a new wiring harness again because they recently changed.

Keep in mind I'm in the US and your note specifies UK/EU. I'm not sure if the wiring harness issue is the same overseas.

Personally I would recommend Pioneer. They make an interesting integration with apple called CarPlay.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/page/produ...play/home.html

Also, I have the US variant of this head unit:

http://files.pioneer.eu/files/brochu..._AVICX1_EN.pdf

However, that's fairly old and I'm not sure if you can get it any more. If you can and it's less than 600 euros, I would jump on it. You can download the updates for navigation and one touch install them. It's pretty hot.

Personally though I'd look most seriously at the CarPlay integration. Cheaper overall and the maps should stay updated through your Apple updates. However, I'm a fan of iPhone/iPad so that might not work for you.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Seconding Pioneer for head units. Not a fan of any of their other products, but their head units are top notch for the price. I can't comment too much on the new apps like Buffy was mentioning since I've been using my AVH 4200 for about 5 years, but these are the navigation units they have available right now:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...GPS-Navigation

Personally I live in Hawaii and don't need navigation so I have no experience with those decks, but just look through and see which has the options you want. I don't know of any decks that have a blu-ray player, but if you want to retain the steering wheel controls you will typically need a separate module specific to your vehicle. I opted to not retain them because I didn't want to pay a few hundred dollars.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    >base
    Glad i wasnt the only one upset by this, as a musician who plays "base"

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i used to go base fishing with my step-grandpa. the ones we caught were always too small so we ended up eating bluegills and perch instead.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fr34k View Post
    Seconding Pioneer for head units. Not a fan of any of their other products, but their head units are top notch for the price. I can't comment too much on the new apps like Buffy was mentioning since I've been using my AVH 4200 for about 5 years, but these are the navigation units they have available right now:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...GPS-Navigation

Personally I live in Hawaii and don't need navigation so I have no experience with those decks, but just look through and see which has the options you want. I don't know of any decks that have a blu-ray player, but if you want to retain the steering wheel controls you will typically need a separate module specific to your vehicle. I opted to not retain them because I didn't want to pay a few hundred dollars.
    I have a Pioneer AVH X5600 that I really like. It has a DVD player, touch screen, bluetooth, etc. I also put in Sirius satellite radio. It does not have Nav though. The AVIC line has the Nav available.

To keep steering wheel controls isn't so bad if you find the right wiring harness. Mine had wiring to install a steering wheel control module. The only thing that does not work on my wheel is the voice calling. All other buttons work.