Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I love the GitS series, more than most of you here probably... its my second favorite Anime of all time, but I can't really think of a single Live Action Hollywood Anime/VG movie adaptation that wasn't utter shit, so I can't hold out hope that this will survive the horrow of Hollywood regurgitating anything with brand recognition.

Plus, as an adaptation of something people enjoy, with an already largely existing lore/history... It has the same problem a lot of video game movies have. They put people in charge who will skim the "About" section of the wiki about the anime, and make some shit up that kinda fits into the universe but actually really doesn't. Then they cast people who are big names, in an attempt to draw out the crowd who will watch anything (Actor) is in*, regardless of the material, while caring not a spit about how much they actually fit the universe of their source material, thus alienating a crowd of people who might of actually been interested off the bat.

I get why they do what they do, I get why casting a big name actress/actor is the top priority, Movies are a business and a big name is going to attract more people to see the movie that they might not otherwise be interested in... I just don't have to like it ._.

But fuck do I hope it turns out good... there's always a chance it might be an exception to the shit tier stuff we get.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Idk man. Didn't Lucy do well? That was a shit action movie with ScarJo.
    It did do well. Scarlet in an empowering role with enough eye candy to keep you watching. It even has a sequel greenlit which makes fuck all sense.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    It did do well. Scarlet in an empowering role with enough eye candy to keep you watching. It even has a sequel greenlit which makes fuck all sense.
    ...Is she in it? Because wot.

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    I love the GitS series, more than most of you here probably... its my second favorite Anime of all time, but I can't really think of a single Live Action Hollywood Anime/VG movie adaptation that wasn't utter shit, so I can't hold out hope that this will survive the horrow of Hollywood regurgitating anything with brand recognition.

Plus, as an adaptation of something people enjoy, with an already largely existing lore/history... It has the same problem a lot of video game movies have. They put people in charge who will skim the "About" section of the wiki about the anime, and make some shit up that kinda fits into the universe but actually really doesn't. Then they cast people who are big names, in an attempt to draw out the crowd who will watch anything (Actor) is in*, regardless of the material, while caring not a spit about how much they actually fit the universe of their source material, thus alienating a crowd of people who might of actually been interested off the bat.

I get why they do what they do, I get why casting a big name actress/actor is the top priority, Movies are a business and a big name is going to attract more people to see the movie that they might not otherwise be interested in... I just don't have to like it ._.

But fuck do I hope it turns out good... there's always a chance it might be an exception to the shit tier stuff we get.
    I don't get it tho, for the exact reasons you just described.

The majority will go to see it because [Actor] is in it, and those who are actually familiar with the source material (for most stuff like this, an extremely, extremely small number of people) are going to hate it.

So why even pay the money to license an existing property just to bastardize it into a piece of shit film that has barely anything to do with the source material and sucks all on its own anyway?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I don't get it tho, for the exact reasons you just described.

The majority will go to see it because [Actor] is in it, and those who are actually familiar with the source material (for most stuff like this, an extremely, extremely small number of people) are going to hate it.

So why even pay the money to license an existing property just to bastardize it into a piece of shit film that has barely anything to do with the source material and sucks all on its own anyway?
    I thought about that and I thought about that and all I can assume is that they think Scarlet has more recognition than "Ghost in the Shell" to the movie viewing audience. And they're probably right.

But then its why back to "Why even license it" and I just give up trying to figure it out... but its probably because they ran out of original ideas and they're just hoping there are a few GitS fans out there who will eat this shit regardless...? Can't imagine the memory spawn someone would have to have to be excited for an Anime/VG Live action adaptation movie considering its been a consistent shit funnel though.

I look back at all the "Brand recognition" flops and have to wonder at what point do they stop. Answer: never.

My usual concern with this is that telling some kind of cyberpunk detective story in 90 minutes probably won't go well. Especially if they even attempt to flesh out the accompanying cast. Some kind of Batou love scene is probably a given (bonus points after saving her from drowning). No Tachikoma fight scene would be a shame. Making the dive experience some kind of trip is probably required, too. The less combat goes bullet time, the better. Wouldn't expect nudie optical camo, either.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The big question really is "why bother licensing it"

Its not like all the individual components of the sci-fi in GITS dont exist on their own. Afaik everyone who had any previous knowledge of dbz, airbender, etc all thought it was horrendous. The only people who enjoyed it enjoyed it as some random movie.

My best guess is trying to sell the idea to production companies is easier when it's based on an established property, original ideas are always going to be a harder sell.

Unfortunately the product is almost always crap, so idk why it keeps working.

An original script inspired by GITS could have been good, and you wouldn't have people who were actually fans of GITS automatically disappointed by the fact that they took the already established world and characters and completely changed them just to fit into whatever mold was needed for the film.

Anyone who knows the names Motoko and Batou will be immediately turned off by completely unrelated iterations of them, and anyone who's not familiar won't know the fucking the difference, so why bother?

Hell, even people not familiar will take one look at the white lady named "Motoko" and make a face anyway.

edit: and the crux of the problem with so many film adaptations of.....anything really is:

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    My usual concern with this is that telling some kind of cyberpunk detective story in 90 minutes probably won't go well.
    ^
    Between establishing the world and setting, the characters, the tone, etc, it's just not something you can do in so little time unless you have an extremely skilled director willing to ask more of the audience.

You don't have time to say everything, you need to show rather than tell, and you need to trust your audience to actually see and think in order to grasp everything.

A GITS movie could have been a modern Blade Runner, but it's far more likely to just be a generic future-ish action film.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

What was the term like for when they cast Will Smith for every summer nineties movie? Or what it still whitewashing because white people love them some Will Smith?

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Love me some ScarJo, but this shit will be bad. Ultraviolet bad.

I think it'll at least make it's budget back from her alone, plus international sales, unfortunately.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

China LOVES shitty big name scifi movies, so it'll be huge over there alone no matter how turdy it is.

I'm just hoping they keep the setting in an asian city environment rather than new yorking it.
    I don't actually think it'll even be there bad. There are some great choreographers/cinematographers out there.

Getting a really well done version of stuff like this:

would be fine by me.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Is the movie going to be based in a US city? Then it makes sense to use a white lead. Is it going to be in the original manga/anime setting in a Japanese setting? Then it's dumb to use ScarJo.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The whole things dumb, she's literally a cyborg, she can pick whatever skin colour she wants. Plus most anime characters don't look particularly asian they seem ambiguous.

I'm wondering what the rest of the cast looks like.

Ron Perlman is a shoe in for Batou, no idea for the rest of the cast though.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    The whole things dumb, she's literally a cyborg, she can pick whatever skin colour she wants. Plus most anime characters don't look particularly asian they seem ambiguous.

I'm wondering what the rest of the cast looks like.

Ron Perlman is a shoe in for Batou, no idea for the rest of the cast though.
    Those 'ambiguous' are actually designed to be an American reflection because of their fascination.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kanriel View Post
    Is the movie going to be based in a US city? Then it makes sense to use a white lead. Is it going to be in the original manga/anime setting in a Japanese setting? Then it's dumb to use ScarJo.
    I highly doubt it'll be set in Japan. Just like Akira will new set in the USA. It's almost like Hollywood wants to appeal to its biggest consumer base.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    I highly doubt it'll be set in Japan. Just like Akira will now be set in the USA. It's almost like Hollywood wants to appeal to its biggest consumer base.
    Or they try to be adaptive in lieu of simply copying an established film/anime. If they follow the film to a T you're gonna hear complaints about not being original (or copying and all the negative connotations that come with it), and if they try to be original you're gonna hear complaints about "butchering the original content". Look at the shit Watchmen got for trying to be both.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Beat Takeshi to play Daisuke Aramaki.
    Hooray, a Japanese actor in an American live-action anime adaptation!

Too bad they couldn't get Ron Perlman to be Batou.
    Right you are, Ken!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I only know that name for Takeshis challenge JonTron video but damn if it doesn't give me a sparkle of hope

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Very accomplished actor and longtime host of Takeshi's Castle (localized/bastardized in the west as MXC: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge!)

He claims not to be a fan of manga/anime.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Whats weird is that Michael Pitt is cast as the laughing man - so they're drawing from the manga/animated series and not the first film.