+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Fiber     submit to reddit submit to twitter

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    At one point I had wished that Google was coming to MN, we were in the running at one point, but now we've gotten something better, US Internet. Better speeds and a better price structure compared to Comcast and the other local provider. Only minus side is that their service only covers a small part of the city as Comcast is fighting tooth & nail to shut it down.

http://fiber.usinternet.com/
    I'm not surprised at this at all. Comcast was initially pressured into starting their 100 Mbps service due to the advent of Verizon's FiOS. We need Google to speed their timetable up so the status quo can change yet again. Of course Comcast is trying to shut them down -- they are offering what Comcast knows should be a much cheaper service. Comcast charges an arm and a leg because most places they hold market share. With services like this and Google Fiber coming in, it forces companies like Comcast and AT&T to forgo their shitty services and actually provide legitimate internet speeds. The ironic thing is that I know there are a few companies who can do it much better than Google Fiber, but Google has the clout to get a lot of this current bullshitting changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Wheel22 View Post
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/4041708711.png

This is what $76/mo gets me and is the fastest option I have in my area. Kill me, please.
    And you basically got that speed because 4Mbps/1Mbps is the bare minimum speed that ISPs can give to their customers if they are receiving government subsidies for infrastructure, as mandated by the FCC. The FCC just passed law that mandates that the bare minimum should be 10Mbps/1Mbps, so you can expect a bump in speed... eventually.

---

It's all bullshit at the end of the day. Consider NASA, who runs their services on 90-100 Gbps. That's 100 Gigabits, not Mega. Let that sink in. There has been many studies on their speeds through ESNet and for the most part the researchers came to the conclusion that typical family homes don't even need half of that in this age. Just the fact that they run it at 100 Gbps says a lot -- we as private citizens should be getting much more in terms of speed than what is offered. I agree with the FCC commissioner that 10Mbps is too low, but take it a step forward from his proposition of 25Mbps minimum. We really as citizens and private customers should be getting 50Mbps minimum. Services like Netflix and Hulu are already spotty if you want 1080p definition but are on a 10-15Mbps connection. And these days, a typical household will have 5+ electronic devices going at any time of the day, all which require internet access and take up bandwidth.

I, for one, welcome our new Google Fiber Overlords.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Hopefully it comes here to San Diego someday, but I'm not holding my breath. At least I'm not in Florida anymore where it's not even on their map.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    This explains why you have guns available. Are we going to have to disavow any knowledge of you if an ISP office in Oregon gets shot up?
    Funny you should say that. My ISP is Cavenet and the owner also runs a gun store right next door. Supposedly they're negotiating for a 20mb/s from Hunter but whining over having to install $20,000+ in upgrades across their broadcast sites.

Honestly the worst part is the godawful 100+ ping that makes cowadooty and bf4 rage-inducing to play.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Here's mine, L.A. to Montreal
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/4044963271.png
    Only plus side is it's $41/mo. (Also, it seems I have .5 more up than I used to.)

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Speeds are one thing, but speed is all but meaningless if you are stuck behind a data cap.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsuko Stark
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I heard you guys were talking about terrible internet.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4045101634.png

Quote Originally Posted by warc View Post
    I heard you guys were talking about terrible internet.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4045101634.png
    Holy shit, i'm so so sorry for you.... My verzion 3G is almost faster than that... LTE normally sites around 20 d 10 u. That's when you can tell their is bullshit going on, when the phone speeds are faster than home.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

I'm getting 200 Down / 20 Up from TWC for 67/mo (after taxes). It's not the greatest deal but it's good for TWC... However, I feel like they throttle me a lot since the bandwidth keeps dropping a lot while streaming movies from Netflix and Plex. I never had this issue with Optimum's 101 Down / 35 Up.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Holy fuck at those slow speeds. Won't see me bitching again.

This is about $85/mo, but it's bundled with a basic cable plan. From what I've read, Austin, TX is getting, or already has Google Fiber. San Antonio too. Houston will probably be last since it's so huge. I hope you guys get it first though, man...

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

lol, you'll see why we are happy about having Google here:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4046172694.png

I pay $170/mo for 12mbps, including a 200-channel package. The internet alone is $56/mo. If I want the "fastest" available, it's $71/mo for 24mbps. That would raise my bill to about $200/mo as opposed to Google giving me all my channels and 1000mbps internet for $120/mo.

Fuck AT&T, Comcast, and anyone else in the ass when Google installs in my house in the next couple of months.

edit: Fixed some of the numbers. My brain ain't working this morning.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Moved recently and now am suffering from my apartments shitty proprietery internet which is ~7mbs down and ~0.8 up speed, so frustrating. I'm desperate to find a way around it for something better. This is the fastest package they offer lol. Not as bad as Warc at least I guess?

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    That's pretty much the same pricing as Google for the 1Gbps tier.. but are those really accurate prices from Comcast? Jesus, no wonder everybody hates them.

This is what I get from Cablevision.. $39.95 tier plus 4.95 for "boost". And I was always under the impression that they sucked, but I guess it could be a lot worse.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4039875737.png
    Cablevision is a bit hit or miss apparently, depending on where you are. It's really great here, this is the same plan as you have:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4046854219.png

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Man I never realized how shitty AT&T were until I visited this thread.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

For a lot of us, it's the lesser of two evils. I know in my case, it's them or TWC since we live just outside Cox's service range.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsuko Stark
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    Holy shit, i'm so so sorry for you.... My verzion 3G is almost faster than that... LTE normally sites around 20 d 10 u. That's when you can tell their is bullshit going on, when the phone speeds are faster than home.
    I have to share this connection with several other users as well. Trying to play FFXIV on verizon's level3 bullshit + netflix + mobile users.. its a nightmare. I can't wait to move out. Verizon is also my ONLY option.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm in Anchorage. These are the ISPs I have to choose from. Either unlimited usage, but slow max speed DSL (and max speed was 15 Mbps until 2 months ago, with 3 Mbps as the slowest offered), or really fast speed cable modem, but a relatively low usage cap, with a fee per MB over the limit.

http://www.gci.com/internet/plans

http://www.alaskacommunications.com/...-Internet.aspx

Also, DSL is no longer available to most of the city, since less than 10 Mbps was removed from the offering, and I live in an area that can get 10 but not 15. Cable modem is available almost everywhere. Luckily, I get a discount with one of them that just internet is no more than $49 a month regardless of the speed, because of an employee in the household. This is the best-connected city in the state. Outside of Anchorage, the DSL ISP is MTA, and they have a monthly usage cap as well, and overage fees similar to GCI's.

Alaska Communications does an ad campaign showing that they let you use it as much as you want, and their retail locations in Anchorage have a "GCI wall of shame" with bills people have gotten for overage fees of $500-2000 in one month. GCI's ads slam Alaska Communications for having slow speeds, saying how your videos will load without waiting or buffering on their cable modems. I think I'd prefer slower max speeds and being able to download as much as I want without additional cost than having to constantly watch my usage and that of my housemates. Especially since the minimum speed for DSL now is the most I could get just 2 years ago, and I was doing fine on 4 Mbps.

GCI used to be unlimited usage before 2010, when they raised max speeds above 10 Mbps.

There are no national ISPs here unless you are using a cell phone tower for your internet connection, and then it's AT&T or, as of 2-3 months ago, Verizon. I really wish something like Google Fiber would come to this state, or we'd build out our own municipal fiber network. Both GCI and Alaska Communication have fiber in town and are laying more, but the speeds being provided by that fiber are lame, or they're giving a ridiculously low usage cap for modern ways people use the internet.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Speeds are one thing, but speed is all but meaningless if you are stuck behind a data cap.
    With my "actually" 50mbps internet speed, I had a 300gig monthly cap, with my broken 100Mbps internet speed that my ISP supposedly does not support.. my cap has disappeared ... if I try to check it i just get " No data found". Kind of wondering when my ISP will notice my apparently hax0red cable modem speeds.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm so jelly ;_;

I got jelly too when I did a search for Salt Lake. Just a couple old postings from back in June... then two recent postings from December! Here we come!
    https://www.google.com/about/careers...&jid=52025002&