Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    It's funny to me because before I came here I never even bothered to look at internet speed as a deciding utility to base if I want to live there or not. It is now lol
    yeah, when i move.. it will be a deciding factor for me of where I move, based on the internet speeds/quality of an area... >.> could care less about anything else O_o

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    It's funny to me because before I came here I never even bothered to look at internet speed as a deciding utility to base if I want to live there or not. It is now lol
    For me it is a little, but in the area we're moving to once you consider all amenities my wife and I are looking for with an apartment on top of what's available, the one that only has Uverse is the best overall option. There are a few better places we'd love to have, but no availability until July to August and we're looking to move in the next 4-6 weeks.

On topic of providers I think Michigan only has Comcast, Uverse, and WOW. Maybe some smaller providers, but nothing competitive.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Move to Nashville then Gulk :D

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Just as an update my fiber jack is installed, I expect it to be connected to the main hub within a couple weeks.

Cloak & Dagger
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Demenic Altreas
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

So, since a few people are having Google Fiber installed I figured I'd ask this: Have any of you guys had your whole house wired to support Google Fiber? What did you install? How much did it cost? Are there specialized contractors that do this?

This month I'm closing on my first home in Lee's Summit, MO which is signed up to have it installed sometime this year, but the house does not have any prior ethernet running to any room outside the living room to my knowledge. Honestly I'm fine with WIFI for mobile devices, but for my desktop and consoles, I'd rather have them wired and be able to have them in multiple rooms (mainly living room, and 3-4 bedrooms). Obviously I'd love to have this thing figured out before they install the fiber jack, but I feel I'm completely lost. HALP

I don't have fiber, but to answer your question, you don't need anything special to support fiber speeds once it is in your home. Using a normal Cat5e cable can support the speed google is giving you. You don't need fiber run throughout the house.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Demenic View Post
    So, since a few people are having Google Fiber installed I figured I'd ask this: Have any of you guys had your whole house wired to support Google Fiber? What did you install? How much did it cost? Are there specialized contractors that do this?

This month I'm closing on my first home in Lee's Summit, MO which is signed up to have it installed sometime this year, but the house does not have any prior ethernet running to any room outside the living room to my knowledge. Honestly I'm fine with WIFI for mobile devices, but for my desktop and consoles, I'd rather have them wired and be able to have them in multiple rooms (mainly living room, and 3-4 bedrooms). Obviously I'd love to have this thing figured out before they install the fiber jack, but I feel I'm completely lost. HALP
    You get a single drop per jack, so unless you're closing on a mansion it's all you need.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    I don't have fiber, but to answer your question, you don't need anything special to support fiber speeds once it is in your home. Using a normal Cat5e cable can support the speed google is giving you. You don't need fiber run throughout the house.
    I don't understand how this is possible, since ethernet has a max speed of about 100 Mbps, and Google fiber advertises 1 GB.

BG Level

They give CAT6, I believe.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

After some google-fu, this appears correct. Cat6 can support up to 1 GBps, Cat6a can support up to 10 GBps. So cat5 no, cat 6 yes, which would look the same to the unaware.

BG Level

Cat5e can support it.

Source: I have fibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    After some google-fu, this appears correct. Cat6 can support up to 1 GBps, Cat6a can support up to 10 GBps. So cat5 no, cat 6 yes, which would look the same to the unaware.
    I said Cat5e , notice the e on the end. It has been the standard cable for many many years. It supports 1Gbps.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    CAT5e also works.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

CAT6 and a decent router will allow you to run 1 gigabit to each wired device in your house. Most systems aren't going to have drives fast enough to use a full gigabit per device, but 100 megabits is slow enough to be the bottleneck if you with with CAT5 cable instead.

You don't have to have the wires run inside the walls, though that is nice to have a jack in every room without cables being visible.

BG Level

Google just sent me this e-mail and free t-shirt :D

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Nashville seems awful so i'm glad you at least got a shirt out of it

BG Level

Its better than most places I've been, which is a lot. I won't be here by the time its available anyway, but hey, free shirt!

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I didn't get a free shirt when I went to interview for them.

Yes, I'm bitter. I probably wouldn't ever wear it anyway.

Still looking forward to the service here though. fuck time warner.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Comcast has announced that they'll be offering 2 Gigabit service to all the major cities they provide service to by the end of 2015. Unbundled, the cost will be $300/month.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

300/month no thanks lol. I'll take fiber's rates for 1gb. Google overlords need to expand

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast