+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Fiber     submit to reddit submit to twitter

We've reached our 300 GB cap hella quick this month: 285/300 as of the 11th. I wish there was a reasonable alternative here in the area I live in Miami. /lefuck

Cloak & Dagger
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Demenic Altreas
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Getting Google Fiber tomorrow in my house. I'm told the default Google Fiber router isn't the best and routers are not something I'm extremely familiar with. Does anyone have any solid recommendations on routers with great WIFI that work well with the fiber speed, especially for online gaming? I've stuck with running an ethernet cable along walls to my gaming pc until now, but the wife is tired of it. Also, I know wired is always preferred for online gaming, but I'm stuck for a while until I can get cables ran to other rooms in the house. Trying to keep my wife happy. :/

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Haven't had any issues with my router.

Anything Azus works pretty well for routers.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

There is a newish high speed wireless standard called ac. So instead of 802.11 a/b/g/n/etc, it's 802.11ac.

So if the Google Fiber router's build in wireless is AC, you need to get yourself an AC adapter for your PC and you'll be fine.

But why you wouldn't run a wire to your main machine anyways...

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    But why you wouldn't run a wire to your main machine anyways...
    Yah he answered that. Happy Wife, Happy life.

Fk that. Let her choose the colors on the walls. That or just run them under the house (assuming it's yours).

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/...ing-fiber.html

Exploring Fiber for Chicago and Los Angeles

Today, we’re inviting Chicago and Los Angeles to explore bringing Google Fiber to their cities. As we’ve explored bringing Fiber to other metros across the U.S., we’ve worked to refine our checklist and prepare for building our network in different places. Now, we’re ready to use that same process to work with two of the biggest cities in the country. Home to a combined 6+ million people, Chicago and L.A. are the two largest metros we’ve engaged with to date. And with the help of gigabit Internet, Chicago and L.A. can boost their creative cultures with Internet speed to match their size. .

Chicago and Los Angeles will join 18 metros where we’re serving customers, designing and building networks, or exploring the possibility of Google Fiber.
    In Chicago, fiber Internet will help bolster a fast-growing startup scene by fueling incubators like 1871, venture capital funds like Chicago Ventures and hundreds of small businesses. With the help of the city’s leadership, Internet speeds can help attract more tech talent and add to the 40,000 tech jobs that exist across the Windy City. In L.A., faster Internet may mean that indie musicians and YouTube stars can spend less time worrying about bandwidth, and more time creating their next project. The same goes for SoCal techies; just last month, L.A. TechWeek brought thousands together to discuss how tech can push the limits of fashion, healthcare and more. Whether it’s filmmaking or entrepreneurship or more abundant bandwidth at home, Chicago and L.A. are the perfect cities to show us what’s possible with gigabit Internet.
    As we kick off our usual checklist process, we’ll work closely with city leaders to collect detailed information about each metro area. From Venice Beach to Wrigley Field, we’ll study the different factors that would affect construction—like city infrastructure and topography—and use that information to help us prepare to build a local fiber network.
    While we can’t guarantee that we’ll be able to bring Fiber to Chicago and L.A., this is a big step for these cities and their leaders. Planning for a project of this size is a huge undertaking, but we’ll be sure to keep residents updated along the way. Check out google.com/fiber and enter your email address to receive the latest news.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

GIVE ME NOW! Though AT&T said yesterday that they are starting to set up fiber in LA. Though fuck AT&T. I went to get my mom's cell phone activated and they wanted to know how my internet situation was. I told them I was getting 50down/5up and they asked if 18down would work better for me. I was about to punch the rep right in the face for being a zombified idiot.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Reminds me of the brighthouse rep that came to my house a few days ago.

"Would you like to get faster internet? It may be a bit more expensive but it'll be the best you can get here"

Me: I get 300mbps for 70/month

Him: Alright you have a good day, take care

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Dubs: Checkem

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Fk that. Let her choose the colors on the walls. That or just run them under the house (assuming it's yours).
    If its not; drill hole in ceiling/floor to run them through attic/basement, buy white cable and tack it along trim, or paint it.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

WAAAAAAAAANT

But it's probably going to mainly be around the Santa Monica area.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Comcast to bring "Mainstream" 1 Gigabit service to Minneapolis/St Paul within the next year, a 2 GB Up/Down service is currently available for $300/mo
    http://www.twincities.com/technology...ce=most_viewed

This was left on our front door! :D

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

https://greenlightnetworks.com/

It's not Google Fiber, but still fantastic if you're in the Rochester, NY area and can get it; and it's a local business to boot. My neighborhood just came online last month. I opted for the 100 Mb down for $50/mo because there's no way I'll be able to utilize the 500 Mb ($75) or 1 Gb ($100) plan by myself.

It was quite satisfying calling Time Warner the afternoon after I was hooked up to cancel service. I told them directly where I was taking my business and what level of service I'd be getting. True story, they tried to counter no less than three times offering me their 50 Mb plan for $65/mo (I was leaving the 30Mb plan at $78/mo). I had to do my best to not laugh at the retention rep.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
    https://greenlightnetworks.com/

It's not Google Fiber, but still fantastic if you're in the Rochester, NY area and can get it; and it's a local business to boot. My neighborhood just came online last month. I opted for the 100 Mb down for $50/mo because there's no way I'll be able to utilize the 500 Mb ($75) or 1 Gb ($100) plan by myself.

It was quite satisfying calling Time Warner the afternoon after I was hooked up to cancel service. I told them directly where I was taking my business and what level of service I'd be getting. True story, they tried to counter no less than three times offering me their 50 Mb plan for $65/mo (I was leaving the 30Mb plan at $78/mo). I had to do my best to not laugh at the retention rep.
    You should have! I can imagine the conversation.

Xanthe: So, I'm sorry to do this (pfft, not really), but I'm going to GLN for their services of 100mb/$50.
    Time Warner: Niggah wut, y u no stay 4?! I givz u 50mb/$65. Iz good, iz normal. Com onz?!

http://imgur.com/E7YVwSl

tried HTTPS but image still won't come up -_-;

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Google has acquired Webpass and will now be able to offer service in San Francisco, San Diego, Chicago, Boston, and Miami.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast