+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Google Fiber     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    It's just slow downloads for me. Dropping under 1 mbps on this connection is fucking weird.
    my shit is just weird man
    http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6497066233.png

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

niiice

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Baller. Whatchu gonna do will all dem interwebs bruh?!

Moved away from GF but luckily Centry link has gig where i moved, though it costs more ;(

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

New house, 950 up/down on new verizon "1 GB" service.

That's usually about as good as you get on speed tests.

Something has to do with Ethernet overhead that prevents it from actually getting to 1GB.

Basically like a HD, you lose something like 5% just by formatting it.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yah they say 940 in the fine print. I wasn't complaining, I was being happy.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Here I was happy about 240 dl 12 up lol

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Thing is, that's probably just as good tbh. Quick thing you find out about having 940+ DL is that nothing else you connect to has that kind of speed. Kind of a bummer if I'm being honest.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    Thing is, that's probably just as good tbh. Quick thing you find out about having 940+ DL is that nothing else you connect to has that kind of speed. Kind of a bummer if I'm being honest.
    Well I definitely noticed download speed upgrades going from 100 to 200, so I'm sure it could go up a bit more. Not that theres really an issue when I can dl 5 gigs in 3 mins

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Well I definitely noticed download speed upgrades going from 100 to 200, so I'm sure it could go up a bit more. Not that theres really an issue when I can dl 5 gigs in 3 mins
    I never saw any improvement going from 300 to 1gig. But the biggest thing is upload. If you're uploading something it screws EVERYTHING over if you don't have enough.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Lost my half price internet with losing the ISP job, so now I'm back at $80 a month for 6.5 megabits down and 768 kilobits up, fastest I can get without a restrictive monthly usage cap with overage fees, and a much higher price. I really wish Google had picked my city...

Quote Originally Posted by bungiefan View Post
    Lost my half price internet with losing the ISP job, so now I'm back at $80 a month for 6.5 megabits down and 768 kilobits up, fastest I can get without a restrictive monthly usage cap with overage fees, and a much higher price. I really wish Google had picked my city...
    Google announced they were coming to my town (Durham, NC) a few years back. Still can't get it. Haven't even seen any work or anything. They did send me a shirt though... Since then AT&T has announced and rolled out GigaPower (their version of fiber basically).

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Google is transitioning to high speed wireless. They acquired a company from San Fran that offered high speed service via dish. But now instead of competing with Comcast for fiber lines, they are competing with Verizon & AT&T whom are rolling out 5G wireless internet.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Google is transitioning to high speed wireless. They acquired a company from San Fran that offered high speed service via dish. But now instead of competing with Comcast for fiber lines, they are competing with Verizon & AT&T whom are rolling out 5G wireless internet.
    TMobile blamed them "transitioning to 5G service" as the reason for my spotty internet and speeds on my phone. Fuck all these providers and their shaddy tactics.