Thread: Tax (W-2) Form Question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Mannoroth

Tax (W-2) Form Question

First off, sorry, I was hoping to find a tax thread or something in GD, but didn't see anything. Seems the RQT was also locked in '13, so there's that. If this question is easily answered through google searches or anything of the sort, I guess delete it and I'll take the hint. Anywho...

I guess my question is simply, can an employer refuse to hand a W2 over, for any reason, legally? I have moved since I left, and for the two years that I was there in January we just went into the GM's office and signed for it there.

A friend of mine in a similar situation went in and our GM told him to basically fuck off, and that's too bad that the address was different, and that it wasn't his problem. Said he was going to mail it to the old address on file regardless. Also refused to let him sign for it in person, although having it ready, because he was no longer an employee. Although, a GM at a second store he worked at within the same company, had no issues whatsoever helping him out.

I realize that I can handle it all in February or whatever if I don't receive it due to it being mailed incorrectly, however I would like to avoid that and just receive it this week, and get it out of the way.

CrApplebees, if anyone is curious. GM is also a coke addict, so catching him when he's happily sniffling would be in my best interest as well...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Its illegal, though they have until jan 31st to give it up.

Employees who are concerned that their employer is improperly withholding or failing to withhold federal income and employment taxes should report their employer by contacting the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. In cases where the employer withheld employment taxes but failed to deposit them, or failed to issue W-2s, the employee should contact the employer to request the W-2. If the employee is unable to secure a W-2 from the employer, the employee should complete and attach Form 4852, Substitute for W-2, to their tax return using the best information available to calculate the wages and the withholding. This information can often be secured from pay stubs.
    http://www.irs.gov/uac/Employer-and-...ax-Enforcement

Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page
    Missing Your W-2? Here’s What to Do

IRS Tax Tip 2013-10, February 8, 2013

It’s a good idea to have all your tax documents together before preparing your 2012 tax return. You will need your W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, which employers should send by the end of January. Give it two weeks to arrive by mail.

If you have not received your W-2, follow these three steps:

Contact your employer first. Ask your employer – or former employer – to send your W-2 if it has not already been sent. Make sure your employer has your correct address.

Contact the IRS. After February 14, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 if you have not yet received your W-2. Be prepared to provide your name, address, Social Security number and phone number. You should also have the following information when you call:

• Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
    • Your employment dates; and
    • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2012, based upon your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if available.

File your return on time. You should still file your tax return on or before April 15, 2013, even if you have not yet received your W-2. File Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, in place of the W-2. Use the form to estimate your income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. The IRS may delay processing your return while it verifies your information.

If you need more time to file you can get a six-month extension of time. File Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File US Individual Income Tax Return. If you are requesting an extension, you must file this form on or before April 15, 2013.

If you receive the missing W-2 after filing your tax return and the information on the W-2 is different from what you reported using Form 4852, then you must correct your tax return. File Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return to amend your tax return.

Forms and instructions are available at IRS.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
    http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Miss...-is-What-to-Do

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Mannoroth

Thanks for the response, that helps!