+ Reply to Thread
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

noob question about runes/masteries

Can't find a concrete answer anywhere so I figured I'll ask here. This part of the game is confusing me the most. I understand the benefits of the runes/masteries/tree, but was curious over a few things:

I have a RL friend that is level 30 and basically got all his stuff and just plays. I'm a crappy level 6. When I play with him, naturally I'm probably in with 9 other Level 30 players. So what I noticed is I'm currently incredibly squishy as I basically have none of those perks protecting me; I seem to die nearly instantly. When I reach level 30 myself and apply all the runes/masteries) would I be able to be "on par" with the other players and be less squishy? Or would it still depend entirely on my dudes/rune and mastery choices.

When I play solo, I actually feel "equal" to my enemies (i.e. I can actually fight them)... I hope I can retain this "feel" at level 30 lol

2. Can I reset my masteries as many times as I want? Or once I set one would it mean I need to pay IP/RP to go at it again

3. The runes; I noticed I have to buy them to fill up my pages. My question/concern here would be that I noticed there's many many runes that I can mix and match with. So, for example, if I buy X1 rune and X2 and apply them but then later on, I want to replace X1 and X2 with Y1 and Y2, would the X1 and X2 then be placed back in my "inventory" for use again, or do I need to buy them again?

4. I'm guessing each dude has a cookie cutter rune/masteries build presuming I'm not doing anything "special", hence my concerns of #2 and #3

Thanks!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

#1 yes you also have 20 pages of masteries so you can build for 20 different champs (a few will share the same page still mostly supports) and they are free to reset

#2 you can rune a basic rune set for each role but most champions run a set rune page to help their play style

#3 yes cookie cutter as hell but there is room to try new things (your #1 was more a statement then a question so the numbers are off by 1 on this lol)

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Haha, shit, I can't count.

So for #2 (3), I can also reset my runes as much as I want and reuse what I brought ya?

Initially I had the illusion that because I'm playing with level 30 players, I was sucking hard in general, but then I realised they probably capped their masteries/runes hence they have a significant advantage over a naked level 6 player. Still won that match though, I got farmed for easy kills but because it used the opponent's stuff, my 4 guys were able to then punish them freely.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

Here's a good cheat sheet for rune pages: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...015_season_as/

I'd suggest to start small and progressively increase your pages based on what you play the most.

I'd say you need about 3 full T3 pages in general. AD AP and Jungling. 4th for tanky supports like Braum and Leona. With those 4 you'll be more than fine.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I have a RL friend that is level 30 and basically got all his stuff and just plays. I'm a crappy level 6. When I play with him, naturally I'm probably in with 9 other Level 30 players. So what I noticed is I'm currently incredibly squishy as I basically have none of those perks protecting me; I seem to die nearly instantly. When I reach level 30 myself and apply all the runes/masteries) would I be able to be "on par" with the other players and be less squishy? Or would it still depend entirely on my dudes/rune and mastery choices.
    I wish i could find the video from when i started playing. in it had a full build runes/mastery Ashe with AD/AR/MR up against a blank Ashe. The blank Ashe got chunked taking ~25% more dmg at lvl 1 (in
    game items the same). It then showed full build vs full build and it was even.

To put it in perspective a full build runes/mastery Vs a blank build is at about a ~700 gold disadvantage and at lvl 1 in game that is HUGE. Also, people usually use runes to buff their early game to get to the mid/late game.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Aevis: Thanks for that link! I'll examine it.

Lilfoo: thanks for the heads info there. Glad to know this as I was slightly fearful of level 30 players thinking they were just good and using XYZ to kill me. Now that I somewhat know it was the stuff behind the scenes doing the work I rest a bit more assured!

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

Don't forget that once you are level 30 you are facing everyone, not just those who turned 30 too. So you suddenly play people who have 100's of normal/ranked games under their belt and your MMR still needs more games to even out.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

As stated earlier, most people run with early-game rune sets that buff their early game. Something like AP quints and AP Glyphs gives you roughly 26 AP - which is a lot at lvl 1, but is almost negligible at lvl 18 with full build. Same with Armor, most people run with either flat HP runes or flat armor runes. Flat armor runes gives +9 armor. On a champion like Orianna that starts with 17 armor, that's almost a 50% increase in armor.

There are runes that scale with level, that helps more at late-game than flat runes. But most people don't run with those, since for most champions, a good early-game usually means a good late-game. Additionally, since most people run with a rune set to help their early-game, not doing so puts you at a slight disadvantage. Naturally, you can still beat them early-game if you're good or counter them, runes just makes it easier.

There are some scaling runes that is standard for most people to use though, and that's scaling magic resist glyphs. Mostly since AP-based abilities is a problem late-game and not early-game. Scaling runes even out to be about equal at lvl 6-7, and 3x better than flats at lvl 18.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Thanks for the explanation, I see what you mean about the runes. Didn't think those little numbers would be that big of a boost during the early stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Aevis View Post
    Don't forget that once you are level 30 you are facing everyone, not just those who turned 30 too. So you suddenly play people who have 100's of normal/ranked games under their belt and your MMR still needs more games to even out.
    Ya I'll just have to clench teeth and last it. I'm sure by then I'll be rather average, so I should be able to hold my own.

I've remapped my QWER keys to my PS2 controller and the 2 summoner spells to my L1/L2 so and my confusion has been reduced; I have a rather flat/basic keyboard so it wasn't doing the job and I was getting a bit tired of it. I feel better already haha!

edit: like yoshi P here https://twitter.com/crimsondramon/st...80681235947521
    (that is how I heal on FFXIV too lol)