BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fealty Testing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Fealty Testing

So people often use fealty to resist things like charm. The other day I popped it a resisted a couple of charms then for the first time with it up managed to get charmed by an AOE charm move. And for also the first time on a charmga move I saw a partial resist. As in I uncharmed really early then awhile later everyone else did at the same time like normal.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I think each charm move functions a bit differently, so it's hard to say with Fealty.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Back when Yugl and I were testing Breath damage and stuff I had a thought that Mijin Gakure might be a Breath Attack since it's HP based(like all breaths are).

Could add to that compendium of questions:

-Is Mijin a Breath Attack.
    -If so, do "Enhances Breath" equips enhance damage.

Minor derail...

Since Fealty blocks Meteor/Comet/Mijin Damage, does it do so because it reduces "breath damage or reduces non-elemental damage? I kind of want to say it does the former because there's no 'defense bonus' against non-elemental attacks known to the player. UNLESS "Non-Elemental" is actually an 'Element' for the sake of flags and programming. By this, I mean when they 'check the box' for an attack's element during design, a spell or ability that we know as 'Non-elemental' could either mean it has a flag checked for it called "Non-Elemental" OR it could mean that "Non-Elemental" is the state being that the 8 mutually exclusive magical element properties a spell may have are left blank/unchecked. If the mob version of Meteor/Comet were reduced by Fealty AND Mijin is reduced by Fealty, it could mean there's a "Non-Elemental, Magic Defense Bonus" attribute which only Fealty confers to players or that they're all the same damage type i.e Breath, although that sounds awkward since nothing else stops those kinds of attacks. Since we know Fealty does not give MDT or MDB(you still take normal damage from regular spells/abilities) it must give a special kind of defense(I'm almost positive Meteor/Comet ignores MDT/MDB and only dINT reduces damage)the Fealty thing could mean one of 4 things.

1) Confers a defense specifically against the spells Comet, Meteor, Mijin Gakure
    2) Meteor, Comet and Mijin all share a certain property, which Fealty grants defense against--
    2a) That defense is against Breath Damage specifically(this assumes Meteor/Comet are 'breath damage'.
    2b) That defense is against 'Non-elemental damage, either magic or breath damage inclusively.

Reason being that since Fealty reduces damage of those 3 known abilities/spells there must be a property they all share that's mutually exclusive from MDT and MDB because a spell like Fire V will do full damage but Meteor will be drastically reduced. If it was MDT, other spells would obvoiously be affected and as far as players are concerned, we have not seen any Fire Elemental Damage -X% or anything specifically of that nature. Although absence of evidence is not evidence of absence as SE is constantly releasing newer stats i.e Magic Accuracy/Magic Evasion gear did not exist prior to CoP and Enemy Crit-% was not known until Merit were released.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

PC comet is dark damage, is the NPC version different?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Without derailing Byrth's post further, I'll just say the mob version of Comet(has Meteorite animation ala Carbuncle) is different from the flavor of Comet that was released at 95 cap. As far as I know, only AV used the old Comet, during Manafont(this is the non elemental version and is a different spell ID in than the one that deals dark damage for BLM95. The .dats are weird and has "Comet"(AV/Mob version) named Meteor and "Meteor"(the AV/KB/Botulus spell) named Meteor II and the BLM95 spell called "Comet" and the Carbuncle Bloodpact called "Meteorite". Confusing @_@

edit

Meteorite and Impact are different animations apparently. Impact is newer and the comet hits the target from the front and its a medium sized black comet. "Meteorite" which was used by AV as "Comet" and as Carbuncle as "Meteorite" hits the target from the rear and is a smaller redish Comet as seen here:

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'm pretty sure the old Comet spell (also used by Anguis, Iratham, Lady Lilith, Promathia and Shinryu) is dark based like the old Meteor spell.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

That Comet is dark based because those mobs are casting the level 95 BLM spell(the one where the comet crashes down then falls apart a second later). That spell animation came out in a WoTG/Abyssea update, I remember seeing it on Spira's Wilddragonchase website around that time. Before those mobs, AV casted Comet too and it was a Meteorite animation(because the new animation used by Iratham/Anguinus didn't exist yet). As for Meteor, I'm not so sure, it's possible but I haven't seen any testing. I wonder why Fealty blocks it then.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Fealty also grants resistance to Alexander's Divine Judgment, apparently, if that's any help.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I remember now yes, AV's Comet animation was Meteorite in the past, this was very long ago. Now it has the same animation as all the NMs I listed previously (I forgot to add Surtr) but it's not the level 95 Blm spell, as far as I know/remember only Smierc and Samursk uses the new version.

Meteor :
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...se/Meteor1.jpg
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...se/Meteor2.jpg
    My level was set to 75 to avoid any possible resists due to the level difference. I have somewhere on an external hard drive pictures of Diabolos / Dark Spirit receiving low damage Meteor from Anguis, AV, Botulus Rex, Rani and Tupilaq but I'm to lazy to search them right now.
    On a side, Diabolos is also very resistant against Doom effects (which is not surprising).
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q52/papesse/Doom.jpg

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Perhaps Fealty has a built in, hidden Migawari/Scherzo effect we've never known about? Always seemed to work on potent magic damage. Maybe it has an invisible "Mitigates the impact of severely damaging magic attacks".

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Not the case, it still reduces gimp mijin/resisted stuff too. Doesn't resist comet by the way. Is Divine judgment bigger than 20' aoe? Only other theory I have is something related to the mechanics of large aoe magic damage. It reduces astral flow right? I can't remember.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Gotta be something that all of those spells and abilities have in common, AoE damage I assume?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Yeah, I can't think of a single damaging attack that fealty resists that isn't aoe. Never really tested extensively to see if it resists chi blast/spirits/etc though.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Fealty Testing

Not sure if this was already known, but Fealty does not make you immune to enfeebling magic. Fighting AV alone on PLD, whenever he would Chainspell/Soul Voice with six wyverns out, one of them would eventually land a charm on me

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    Not sure if this was already known, but Fealty does not make you immune to enfeebling magic. Fighting AV alone on PLD, whenever he would Chainspell/Soul Voice with six wyverns out, one of them would eventually land a charm on me
    It can also give you partial resists which I've never seen without some kind of meva type buff. Like back when I was going on pld for that one vwnm that does AoE charm everyone else would uncharm at the exact same time but occasionally with fealty I'd uncharm at exactly twice as soon as everyone else. I'd guess it just puts you at capped resist rate

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    The wyverns charm with Maiden's Virelai right? As far as I know, Fealty has never granted resistance to any kind of bard song.

Regarding charm in general, there are types of charm fealty works on, and others it doesn't. It's really weird.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I've had charms be resisted normally before. At level 99, even without Adoulin gear, JoL's charm usually lasts less than 5 seconds, and often breaks immediately.