+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Also iirc up until what's his face did Elba was the only one who had solo piloted and it fucked him up so bad he had to stop piloting. And that weird black market guy's attempts to drift solo fucked him up even worse.

Also is that a giant robot with a fucking light saber?
    In the comics, they explained that his partner lost consciousness during the Kaiju fight seen in the flashback/Mori's dive in the first film.

Also in the comics, him and his partner were discharged because she got terminal cancer from piloting Coyote Tango, a Mark-1. The cancer may have been the reason for loss of consciousness and thus they didn't want to risk a copilot suffering the mental overload.
    Pentacost also contracted terminal cancer after his discharge.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    In the comics, they explained that his partner lost consciousness during the Kaiju fight seen in the flashback/Mori's dive in the first film.

Also in the comics, him and his partner were discharged because she got terminal cancer from piloting Coyote Tango, a Mark-1. The cancer may have been the reason for loss of consciousness and thus they didn't want to risk a copilot suffering the mental overload.
    Pentacost also contracted terminal cancer after his discharge.
    Ah. Well they could've explained that better in the Film. Now how did the altoids help the cancer!?!

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The problem I have is that it just looks cheaper. From what I've read about the story, somehow there's like junkyard built Jagers and shit. Like you could assemble one in your garage. The first movie felt gritty and real and lived in. This one is so fucking colorful... I just... it feels like it's going to be a cash grab. I don't want spunky teens, I want grizzled adults. Ugh.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

1st one was one of my favorite summer movies ever and I couldnt wait to see it. Initial feeling I have towards this is about the same as I felt seeing the the independence day resurgence trailer. Kinda a meh / oh god please dont be terrible and forever ruin it for me. Just a first trailer though so still holding out hope.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

is the sexy asian broad gonna be in this

Quote Originally Posted by BorkBorkBork View Post
    1st one was one of my favorite summer movies ever and I couldnt wait to see it. Initial feeling I have towards this is about the same as I felt seeing the the independence day resurgence trailer. Kinda a meh / oh god please dont be terrible and forever ruin it for me. Just a first trailer though so still holding out hope.
    ID resurgence is exactly what I thought watching this, I loved the first movie so I will just avoid this probably

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Supposedly she will be but they didn't hint at her during the trailers and she's a returning character, so she's probably just gonna be some background character.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

She's in the trailer isn't she? Walking in white?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Hmm that might be her but I couldn't tell.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Details from NYCC panel, a lot of it we already know, but there is some interesting info;

The panel included the director Steven S. DeKnight, and a few members of the main cast including John Boyega, Cailee Spaeny, Scott Eastwood, and Burn Gorman. Here’s my recap:

General Worldbuilding Tidbits

• Pacific Rim: Uprising is set 10 years in the future after the last film. DeKnight said that they wanted to show a “new generation of Jaeger pilots who have known nothing but chaos.”
    • Previous characters slated to return, as seen by the trailer, include Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi), Dr. Hermann Gottlieb (Burn Gorman), and Dr. Newt Geiszler (Charlie Day).
    • The new main “trio” seems to consists of the main lead, Jake Pentecost, and the late son of Stacker Pentecost (John Boyega), Jake’s best friend and Jaeger pilot Nate Lambert (Scott Eastwood), and tech-savvy Amara Namani (Cailee Spaeny).
    • 10 years later, the Pan-Pacific Defense Corps (PPDC) has come together to work as an international fighting force, with all of humanity working together - i.e. Jaegers are no longer coded by specific country, like the Russian Jaegers, Australian Jaegers, etc.
    • This also allowed the opportunity to build Jaegers from the ground up, since they were all previously destroyed in the first film. It was jokingly claimed, “we cancelled the apocalypse and then un-cancelled it to make this movie.”
    • DeKnight discussed how Del Toro originally set the table with Pacific Rim as a “fantastic visual feast,” so the goal with the sequel was to honor the original, but also expand the universe at the same time.
    • John Boyega claimed that they weren’t trying to “rewrite what Guillermo Del Toro did, but rather to build upon and expand this universe, and where the humans are at now.”
    • Boyega also talked about how he came onto work behind-the-scenes creatively on the film as a producer. He described Pacific Rim as one of the only franchises he’s come across where the fans are hopeful and “sacred science fiction ground.“
    • Going in, Boyega felt like he had the same creative passion as DeKnight. When they met in LA for the first time, they went over the specific Jaegers and basically what Boyega wanted to see after Pacific Rim. He claimed that “I believe this is everything you want Pacific Rim to be.“
    • One of the goals of Pacific Rim: Uprising is to explain exactly what happened 10 years after the first film, but not necessarily be a complete detachment to the origin story. It was highlighted that there are a lot of young teenage characters in the cast and hopefully that’ll be something that new viewers can relate to.
    • According to DeKnight, one of the overarching themes of Pacific Rim is: “It doesn’t matter who your parents are, the color of your skin, your religion, or sexual orientation, you can make a difference and be a hero. It’s the human inside the Jaegers that makes you super."
    • Pacific Rim: Uprising was filmed both in Australia and China. The cast pretty much agreed that as a director, DeKnight runs a "relaxed” and “creative” set - it was a tough schedule, but the actors all felt that they could still have creative input.

New Jaegers

• DeKnight called them all “badass,” with Gipysy Avenger leading the charge.
      • Gipsy Avenger: Has a lot of upgrades, including a Gravity Sling which allows the Jaeger to reach out and grab buildings, cars, etc. and hurl them directly at the Kaiju.
      • Bracer Phoenix: This is the brute force Jaeger. One of its special abilities, above many, is the fact that it’s a three-pilot machine. Therefore, the third pilot can drop into the chamber and operate a pair of massive guns called the Vortex Cannon.
      • Saber Athena: This is the most advanced Jaeger in the fleet that uses Plasma swords. Also described as a “little experimental,” and “incredibly swift.”
      • Titan Redeemer: Has a special weapon called the “ball of death,” which is attached to the end of his arm. According to DeKnight, this was “pretty damn cool."
      • Guardian Bravo: Is another brute force Jaeger that has a special weapon called the "graphine arc whip."
      • Scrapper: Described as a "little guy,” that’s been slapped together. Since in the future, there are a lot of people pilfering and stealing PPCD technology to make their own Jaegers.
    • During the Q&A, an audience member asked if all the new Jeagers run on analog. DeKnight claimed one Jaeger is built on sticks (lmao), but the general idea is that no EM-powered Kaijus will be able to take down the Jaegers in this film.

Jake Pentecost (John Boyega)

• Boyega stated that he “loved the first movie and one of the reasons was Idris Elba.” So, he understood the big shoes that he had to fill. Boyega claimed he understood this responsibility, but "we [the cast] all worked as a unit, and Jake Pentecost doesn’t exist without the other characters. This is also a great ensemble piece.“
    • When the moderator asked if Jake is trying to live up to Sacker’s legacy, Boyega jokingly claimed: "Hell no!” He went to explain that “the greatest heroes don’t accept legendary status. It takes a tussle and a turn and for Jake’s position. Where we find Jake in the beginning of the film is in very different circumstances from his Dad.”
    • Boyega described Jake as a “stealer, a hustler, and lives in half a mansion. He’s really a guy that doesn’t want to live up to the Pentecost name.”
    • Jake is bought back into the PPCD in a very unique way through his connection to Cailee Spaeny’s character Amara. So, Jake is bought into this adventure and decides that he’s gotta “step up,” after realizing that the “Pentecost name still means something to people."
    • During the Q&A, an audience member asked Boyega what’s the most rewarding part of being a sci-fi icon. He claimed that he doesn’t feel like one, but working on both Pacific: Rim Uprising has been exciting, since it’s allowed him to jump into various elements of sci-fi that he loved growing up.

Nate Lambert (Scott Eastwood)

• Eastwood described him as a Jaeger pilot who’s one of the best out there. Yet, he’s still "the tip of the spear,” and really nothing without his best friend Jake.
    • Jake and Nate still have issues in this movie to work out from the past, so Eastwood felt that coming back around and dealing with a lost time with these characters was something cool to explore as an actor.
    • Eastwood also emphasized that while yes, there is plenty of action in the film, it “has a great story first and foremost.”

Amara Namani (Cailee Spaeny)

• This was Spaeny’s first film that she was ever cast for. So, she was definitely intimidated and a bit terrified, but knew that fans were so supportive of the first film.
    • Spaeny didn’t actually watch Pacific Rim until she got the audition for the sequel, and really took it upon herself to dive into the universe in order to understand and respect the original film.
    • In terms of Spaeny’s film experience, there was also diving into tons of stunts and action and lots of skills that she to catch onto , since she was participating in a whole world that’s already been created.
    • But Spaeny felt that both DeKnight and the cast were very supportive and helpful, whenever she had questions, so it was really easy for her to dive into Cailee’s character. She also bonded with DeKnight since this was the first feature-length, theatrical film that he ever directed.
    • Spaeny described Amara as very “independent,” and super “badass.” She’s also a tech-savvy person.
    • For Amara’s backstory, her entire family was killed in the first wave of Kaiju attacks. So, Amara really “takes it upon herself to dive into Jaeger tech and make sure that when Kaiju do come back, she’ll be ready to fight and protect herself."
    • While Amara’s past is very different from Jake’s, Spaeny claimed that both of them still see a lot of things in similar ways.

Dr. Hermann Gottlieb (Burn Gorman)

• Gorman said he was very excited to be back in the sequel, which felt like "being back in the playground.” He also joked, "I’ve been lucky enough with this face that God gave me to play a few jerks on screen,” when an audience member briefly highlighted his past roles on Torchwood, Revenge, Game of Thrones, and The Dark Knight Rises.
    • Gottlieb still has problems with personal hygiene. Gorman claimed, “let’s just say that he hasn’t changed his socks since the last film."
    • In comparison to Charlie Day’s character (Dr. Newt Geiszler) who has moved onto the private sector, Gottlieb chose to stay behind with the PPCD and arguably their most important scientist at the highest level at this point. So, Gorman joked that Gottlieb now, in effect, has a "really great budget,” to work with now.
    • However, DeKnight makes it clear that where we find Gottlieb is: “as a man still very much affected in what happened in the previous film in terms of his drift and communication with the Kaiju.
    http://chr0medome-113.tumblr.com/pos...-to-attend-the

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

One of the goals of Pacific Rim: Uprising is to explain exactly what happened 10 years after the first film, but not necessarily be a complete detachment to the origin story. It was highlighted that there are a lot of young teenage characters in the cast and hopefully that’ll be something that new viewers can relate to.
    NO. STOP. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DON'T WANT.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Supposedly she will be but they didn't hint at her during the trailers and she's a returning character, so she's probably just gonna be some background character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    She's in the trailer isn't she? Walking in white?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It was highlighted that there are a lot of young teenage characters in the cast and hopefully that’ll be something that new viewers can relate to.
    Oh boy can I ever relate to a bunch of actors with little to no experience.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I guess I fucking hate Boyega now.

“They were like, "What did you feel about the first film," and I told them straight up the stuff that I didn't like and the stuff I wanted to see more of,” says Boyega. “I wish the robots would hurry up, just hurry up.”
    "We've got better upgrades. The robots are moving much more swift. Yeah, we're like ballerinas up in there, it's fantastic."
    I can't link the articles because the site name that shall not be spoken but you should be able to find them.

He completely fucking missed the fucking point of why they were slow.

Here's s'more:
    “The way that Steven and [Executive Producer] Cale Boyter have been talking about it is that they want to have Borne Identity fights but with giant robots,”
    "Production Designer Stefan Dechant refers to the original Pacific Rim as the “technicolor” Pacific Rim for its hyper-saturated look."

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Well shit, he totally fucked it up now didn't he.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Is it too late to recast him for Michael B. Jordan?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well this is a first. Don't think I've gone from full hype to don't want to even see it before a movie even came out

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

BG overreacting, what else is new.

Still gonna see it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character