FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Regardless of how this movie turns out....PUPPIES

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

50% on RT and falling.

Not surprised based on what these reviews are saying. It's basically Pacific Rim made by people who didn't understand what made Pacific Rim great. RIP what could have been my favorite franchise.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah after seeing spoilers imma pass on this. I'll just buy the BD/DVD later this year.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

They're cashing in on Boyega's Star Wars fame and merchandising. Really hope this doesn't become a pattern with him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I was a pass before, hard pass now. I'll get it on Netflix. GF is seeing it tonight or tomorrow.

My friends that went last night said they wouldn't have hated it if it wasn't a Pacific Rim movie. Their opinion was that the director missed the point.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Each review I watched said the film did something terrible/funny/unexpected with Charlie Day's character but I can't find any info on what was done. I think that's my only point of interest of the movie beyond robot vs monster fights
    Spoiler: show
    which it sounds like there's only really one of.

If anyone goes, I'd appreciate a break down of what's up with Day.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Heard this was a fucking bomb.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It was entertaining but I can see some people being disappointed with the direction they took it. I enjoyed the action but it doesn't feel like the plot matured much since the first movie. It's not as dark and there's hardly any character building.

Charlie Day Spoiler:
    He's in an internal battle and losing with the Kaiju that he drifted with in the first movie. He's the antagonist of this movie.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Movie was shit. Charlie Day spoilers incoming.

He's the main bad guy.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Burning beat me to it.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I kind of want to watch just for that Charlie Day plotline...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    I kind of want to watch just for that Charlie Day plotline...
    yeah I'm in the same boat. Is it worth a $5 Tuesday? Is Charlie's acting worth $5? Is everyone else's? I am curious if it has some redeeming features.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragontyr View Post
    yeah I'm in the same boat. Is it worth a $5 Tuesday? Is Charlie's acting worth $5? Is everyone else's? I am curious if it has some redeeming features.
    Expect it to be more like Transformers instead of Pacific Rim 1. If you feel that's worth $5 you're golden.

Ugh. Thanks. I think that can wait until home media.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragontyr View Post
    I'd say maybe. I mean it don't cost me anything but time so I thought it was worth it. He was pretty good though.

My take on the movie was they basically tried to have a real plot and build characters... but only in the first half and with way too many characters to care about anyways and the obviously nefarious stuff was obvious. Hell the movie even has someone ask how the heck they didn't know this was happening lol. And then they basically abandon that to unintentionally hilarious Charlie Day show (seriously dude goes full well him but as a main bad guy) with some Kaiju fights which were well shorter and not nearly as good as the ones in the previous film. Namely the colors from the first that gave it that unique feel are all now well you've seen the trailers and none of the mechs have the same sense of weight and momentum they had in the first... or buildings that just easily get pulled down one after another on top of a Kaiju.

All the pilots were pretty meh to terrible so wouldn't really try to care about them anyways. They still shoehorned a speech in before the big fight but it was terrible. It was great that they actually reference how great the speech from the first one was even quoting part of it... though that was way earlier by Charlie. New hotter Asian replacement for Mako Mori was actually pretty decent after she stopped being a bitch and got in the damn robot... well just when she started being actually helpful

Edit: almost forgot this but I almost feels like they knew they were fucking with us. Between making a show that was clearly more designed to sell product than be well good. To completely rewriting concepts like oh yeah gotta be kids they form connections better and not better for marketing. Or trauma causing drift problems? Well apparently Mako Mori's brother watching her die in front of him doesn't count I guess since he only cared for about 30 seconds and no one else at all did. Other rectons etc. To referencing things the audience is probably thinking to flat out playing the trolololo guy video when going into battle <.<.

Saw it last night and I wasn't expecting too much. I didn't hate but it isnt that good. The action scenes from the jagers made them seem like transformers and not the lumbering hulks from the first one. Liked the kaiju and jager designs. Kinda wanted to punch all the kids in the face cause they are all annoying.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries