+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I stick my dick in Crayfish
    BG Level

Non Religious Dating Religious.... Possible?

So I've been single for a while (dating a lot, but nothing super serious) and I met a cute potential candidate recently.

Cute young asian doctor, great chemistry between us. No kids, seemingly sane (we'll see).

Problem is: I'm a rather stark atheist, and she's Christian (and not just a Christian in name). She apparently comes from a really religious family and it's part of her life..

Does anyone have experience with inter-faith (or lack of faith) relationships? Is it doomed? Should I just cut my losses and give up on a potentially good catch?

I don't want her sticking with me with the dellusion that she'll one day convert me... and I don't want to continue down that path if I know she really wants me to convert.

I'm also concerned that the sex won't be that great since she won't be as open minded/experienced :/.

Any thoughts? Experiences? Sage Advice? Fuck you's?

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

it's not doomed. As long as you're not a pig-headed twat and are willing to let her do her thing, and can come to an understanding that you don't want to share in THAT section of her life, it should be fine. but you need to talk to her, and let her know, and see what she thinks.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

has she mentioned anything about trying to convert you or is that a future worry?

also don't pass up on sex, religious background has pretty much NOTHING to do with that.

As long as you don't plan to have kids, it can work out as well as any other relationship, providing both of you are understanding and don't try to push your views on the other. If kids enter the mix, it will be a fucking nightmare, and I wouldn't even enter the relationship if that's one of your goals.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

It can work, but it depends on the individuals. As Abandon said, best advice is to talk to her to see where she's at. If she's okay with dating someone who doesn't share her religious views, then yeah, if you "let her do her thing" it can work. But if she's not, and you're not willing to consider her religion, it's best to have that talk and figure that out before either of you becomes committed.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

kids dont actually fuck things up one bit, as long as that talk happens. my parents got it right. let us decide what we wanted, but gave us knowledge on the religion, and let us do research and make the choice for ourselves. Jesus got 1.5/3 from my brood, not bad my nigga.

BG Level

That is kind of scary to me. I'm pretty opposed to introducing children to religion (taking away their critical thinking skills before they're capable of truly assessing the information being presented).

Maybe I should just move on :/...

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

We need pictures of her to give you proper advice.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Eh, if you can't accept her religious views move the fuck on.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

On this front I've figured out you will have to show some support like it's any other activity they are interested in. How much is required/how much you're willing is on an individual basis; some want to roll in twice a year for Christmas season and some other thing, some want low key in for an hour every other Sunday, some want to be there for six hours every Sun with song and dance, and three weeknights to support the community and half the third world countries.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    kids dont actually fuck things up one bit, as long as that talk happens. my parents got it right. let us decide what we wanted, but gave us knowledge on the religion, and let us do research and make the choice for ourselves. Jesus got 1.5/3 from my brood, not bad my nigga.
    mine too. i went to sunday school and whatnot, but at home i never got answers like "because god made it that way" or whatever.

anyway, honestly the fact that you even need to ask this tells me that you don't think you can get over it, and that kind of thing is really a self-fulfilling prophecy, so i'll just go ahead and give you the answer you want: it's doomed.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Yeah... From experience, if they're very devout with their religion, they'll eventually try and push it onto you.

Two of my Chinese friends got married last year, one heavily Christian and one not. Not to each other, but they did date for quite awhile. I'll give you one guess why it didn't work out. Unless she clearly expresses it doesn't matter what side you're on, it'll be a pretty bumpy road.

Quote Originally Posted by Inshiya View Post
    That is kind of scary to me. I'm pretty opposed to introducing children to religion (taking away their critical thinking skills before they're capable of truly assessing the information being presented).

Maybe I should just move on :/...
    You're jumping to worrying about the kids before you even start the relationship... Why don't you see how things go first and then if you actually get to the point where you're going to spend more than a month together then worry about "down the road" things...

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

someone above nailed it. bruh, take that shit one day at a time. KIDS KIDS KIDS and you aint even seen the titties yet. relax, bro

BG Level

I'm at a point where I don't want to "see how it goes" until we're at a point where we both really care about each other and then go "oh well we have this huge issue that we can't get over."

I appreciate people's perspectives, but has anyone made one of these relationships successful?

Is anyone here currently (or previously) been in a non-faith -> faith relationship?

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

You really just have to talk to her and see how important it is/how much of a deal breaker it could be. I know people where it's been successful and I know Christians who wouldn't even consider someone who also isn't. Nobody here is going to be able to tell you. Gotta communicate w/ her really

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

You're not at the "see how it goes" point, you're at the "(presumably) been on a few dates and now need to have a conversation about things" point. Or possibly the "met this girl, now I'm thinking of our life together, three kids, house in the suburbs, but no, we're not actually dating yet because I can only consider dating someone if I can see myself getting married to them" point..

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    You're not at the "see how it goes" point, you're at the "(presumably) been on a few dates and now need to have a conversation about things" point. Or possibly the "met this girl, now I'm thinking of our life together, three kids, house in the suburbs, but no, we're not actually dating yet because I can only consider dating someone if I can see myself getting married to them" point..
    We've been on dates lol.

Banned.

BG Level

"young asian doctor"
    what the fuck does that mean. is she a resident? if she's out of residency, she's at minimum 30, no? anyway, it really depends on how "stark" of an atheist you are, and how into christianity she is. I see issues if you're one of those "THERE IS NO GOD" people and she's into going to church every week. She ever tried to get you to go to church?

also dont think that sex won't be great. it has nothing to do with her faith.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast