1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 4 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 55 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 16 hours, 4 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 17 hours, 55 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Patch 2.51 Info Translation (Tokaigi Live Letter)

Translation of original info from Game Watch, updated with info from Famitsu and 4gamer. I'll add links to originals later.

-----

A variety of video game-related events took place over two days at Tokaigi 2015, held at the Makuhari Messe International Exhibition Hall. On February 1, the second day of the event, a Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Producer Letter Live was held at the Square Enix booth, during which the implementation date for patch 2.51 was announced to be February 24. The live broadcast was titled "Manderville Gold Saucer Special," where producer and director Naoki Yoshida focused on explaining the details about content like chocobo racing and Triple Triad. As usual for these events, the questions which were discussed were received through Twitter and forums.

There was also a mention that Yoshida would likely hold a broadcast about the launch of the expansion pack either from GDC 2015 in San Francisco on March 2 or PAX East in Boston on March 6.

It was previously discussed that patch 2.5 Before the Fall would be implemented in three parts, and at this live letter the implementation date for the second part, patch 2.51, was announced to be February 24. Patch 2.51's content will center around the Manderville Gold Saucer, based on the Gold Saucer from Final Fantasy VII. Although this has been discussed numerous times in the past, detailed rules and images of the content rewards were discussed here, so we'll go through them one by one.

There are many different rules for Triple Triad, such as "Same."

The well-received Final Fantasy VIII card game Triple Triad will be introduced to A Realm Reborn. At patch 2.51, 80 cards will be implemented, with several more to be added with each patch. After participating in the tutorial with the card master at the Gold Saucer, you'll receive your first set of five cards. To receive other cards, about half of them can be obtained by winning card matches against NPCs found around Eorzea.

Since each NPC has a number of cards, it may be necessary to play against them many times because there will be rarer cards that are not so easily obtained. Additionally, there will be cards that drop from primals and in dungeons, as well as rare cards purchased with Manderville Gold Saucer points, and we heard there would also be booster packs. In patch 2.51, there will be some characters from the past depicted on the cards.

There will also be a PvP mode where players can battle each other, but cards won't be exchanged in this manner. You'll be able to play from locations around Eorzea other than Gold Saucer also. For example, players can gather in a place like Buscarron's Druthers and each area has its own rules for playing.

Once you acquire a card, it will be added to your inventory as an item, and it can then be added to your card binder by using the item. In the card binder, you can create up to five decks. Initially, it won't be possible to trade or sell cards. However, if you do obtain a duplicate card, you can exchange it for Gold Saucer points.

In the game there will be cards up to number 9. In the corner of the card, four numbers appear, and whichever card has a better number than the adjacent card in that direction wins for scoring. The BGM that you hear during matches will be a nostalgic arrangement for people who have played Final Fantasy VIII. There are several different rules for matches, but three of them were discussed at this event.

All Open
    This is a standard rule where each player will battle with decks they built themselves. During the match, each player will be able to see all of their opponents cards.

Random Hand
    Your hand of cards will be built randomly from all of the cards you have.

Same
    If a card is placed that has numbers equal to two or more adjacent cards, all of the cards will be taken.

There are a number of settings for party recruitment, do you plan to make one for recruiting people for Triple Triad?
    Yoshida: That's a good idea, when I get back I'll talk that over with Hiroshi.

Triple Triad is going to be included as a free game in the Final Fantasy Portal Application [[just released, Japan only for now, FYI]] for smartphones - are there any other games that will be introduced in cooperation with A Realm Reborn?
    Yoshida: The specifications and algorithms are the same for each, so there was definitely cooperative planning. After the app is out for a while we'll make it so that you don't only have the cards you get from A Realm Reborn, but you'll also be able to obtain some rare cards by playing on the app. We'll continue to work with the portal applications in the future, so please check it out.

Breeding is a main part of chocobo racing.

Although the main content is the chocobo races themselves, there are some deep elements involving training your chocobo. By winning races, you'll be able to develop your chocobo while also earning Gold Saucer points. Once your chocobo is fully grown, it can be retired, and its abilities can be inherited by the next generation through breeding.

When the race starts, the chocobo will automatically begin running. As the player moves ahead, they can accelerate by using stamina. There are panels around the tracks that can do certain things like give a speed boost or an item, or even ones that have negative effects. If there is a negative panel you're likely to run over, it's possible to avoid it by jumping. Since the chocobo is based on momentum, it will be different from the chocobos that you ride around on normally. Also, because this is an online game and communication lag could cause issues, the racing is not super strict and there are some luck elements involved and special bonuses so everyone can have a chance.

You can participate by completing the quest at the counter in the Gold Saucer. You can receive your first racing chocobo at the Bentbranch stables. Although you can choose whether your chocobo is male or female, it won't have any impact on performance at this time. Once you have your chocobo, you can head back to the Gold Saucer to name your chocobo and register them for races. Instead of typing your own chocobo names, the names will be formed from two words selected from lists.

As the chocobo grows, there are some random elements which will influence the growth. As they grow, they will also sometimes learn abilities. Further, it's possible for the players to increase the chocobo's stats by using special food.

As the chocobo's rank increases through growth, it will automatically be set for the next higher rank when you register for races and you'll no longer be able to register in lower rank races. It's worth noting that players will not only be able to participate alone in races, but they'll also be able to participate in a formed party.

Once the chocobo's growth is complete and the chocobo is retired, they will be able to breed offspring. You can breed chocobos with others with Manderville Gold Saucer points, or by breeding multiple chocobos that you've raised yourself. Breeding chocobos from two different players is planned for future implementation.

Gold Saucer mini-games and GATEs

Within the Gold Saucer, events called Gold Saucer Active Time Events (GATEs) will regularly occur in the area, like FATEs in field areas. When these occur, players will be informed about it and be able to gather together to participate. Three of these were introduced in the video. In one, players have to run around avoiding Typhon's snorts without getting knocked off a platform. In another, players have to choose from among eight emotes after remembering a sequence from an instructor. In the last shown GATE, players will be rescuing chocobos on a mountain while avoiding exploding bombs.

In addition to those, there are other games like matching a scrambled Imp with its true form, or protecting a fragile vase from enemies while carrying it to a certain location.

There will be a number of minigames that can be played for Manderville Gold Saucer points. Crystal Tower Striker is like a hammer game that you might see at a carnival. The Monster Toss free throw and the punching machine games will both be games based on timing. Moogle Catcher is like a claw machine where players can move in the horizontal and vertical directions to grab the target. According to Yoshida, although these games will only yield a small amount of Gold Saucer points, since they are short, they can be repeated many times, so it's something good to do while waiting for other activities.

GATEs are activities played with multiple people, but won't require a group of friends logged in to participate. Although it won't be added at this time, there were many comments from fans who were asking for the snowboarding minigame from Final Fantasy VII. Yoshida, who said he was a snowboarding fan himself, said he was extremely interested in adding it.

Additionally, there will also be a lottery which occurs daily and weekly called the Cactpot. Although this will happen every week, there will be an early exchange bonus for about three hours for players who win, so you should get your reward as soon as you can if you win. The drawing will be carried out during primetimes for each of the data centers (Japan, North America, and Europe). The weekly lottery is a four digit number you can purchase for one Gold Saucer point, and you can purchase one number per week. The daily lottery is more like a scratch-off that you do on your own and win by lining up a column.

In addition to the Setzer set which was already announced as a possible reward, the Chocobo Mask that Chocobo Porters wear was shown, as well as other casual gear, a bunny girl costume, a turtle mount, and the Fenrir mount. Yoshida said that there will be a lot of rewards provided, so that should set some goals for a lot of people.

Are there any plans to add a Triple Triad table as a furniture item?
    Yoshida: I added it to my list. I don't know what the timing will be, but it will come later.

Since flying mounts will be introduced in the expansion, will it be possible to have air races?
    Yoshida: If we could make a simple air course, I would like to do that. [[Also mention that black chocobos will be available in the future]]

Cactuars have sort of become a trademark of the series, do you have any plans to implement a cactuar mount?
    Yoshida: That would be painful, since it's a cactus. The riding posture might be... troubling. However, we have featured the cactuar in a lot of places in the Gold Saucer, so please look around for it.

Can anyone go to Gold Saucer regardless of level?
    Yoshida: Yes, you can even go there in the free trial. Triple Triad will have a level 15 minimum to be able to play, so you should get at least level 15. It will be easy to get to the airship location which leads to the Gold Saucer. Once you're there and you take a tour of the area, there's an Aetheryte there which will allow you to teleport directly there later on.

Which one is your favorite game?
    Yoshida: The Free Throw game. I was playing it endlessly when we were doing testing, I had to apologize to the staff. It would be good if there was no time limit, but since it's a game to see how many points you can obtain in a certain time, it wasn't so leisurely.

Other Stuff

At the end of the broadcast, there were some announcements for upcoming additions to the game. The seasonal Valentione's Day event will start on February 3, followed by Little Ladies' Day in early March. For the 720 day Veteran's reward, you'll receive a full set of Cloud Strife's armor based on the armor from Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. These rewards will be implemented when Heavensward is released.

Final Comments from Yoshida
    Thanks to everyone for gathering here today. A lot of you are concerned with the release date for Heavensward, and we'd like to plan that announcement for some upcoming event in the gaming industry. I think the timing of the upcoming Game Developers Conference or PAX East events would be good. Right now we're in the home stretch for patch 2.51, which we're releasing February 24. From there, we'll move on to part 2 of patch 2.5, and then, finally, Heavensward. Thanks again to everyone!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Updated with more specifics from 4gamer about individual Gold Saucer activities and the ability to enter a chocobo race as a party.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

2.51 Caps
    Spoiler: show

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Fuck this game.

Now I'll never be able to get any real life work done with Gold Saucer and Triple Triad being a thing.

lel.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The Free Throw game. I was playing it endlessly when we were doing testing, I had to apologize to the staff.
    It's these little things that make me like Yoshida.

Also, Feminism wins! Now I can Setzer about like everyone else in the game.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Is it next week yet?

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Is it next week yet?
    Soon™

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Soon™
    That's not soon enough!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rozaria Eleanor
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

thanks , anyone know when zodiac info gona be out? i hope we don't have to wait until patch to know!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    thanks , anyone know when zodiac info gona be out? i hope we don't have to wait until patch to know!
    Haven't we always had to wait until patch?

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I'm literally never logging out now.

Thanks SE

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Need fenrir mount, and hopefully the black bunny suit top the miqo'te is wearing (dat cleavage) on the 3rd pic from the top >.>

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

They need to stop caving on making the male-exclusive stuff non-gendered if they're not going to let the males wear the female stuff.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Gonna be salty as shit if the choco racing queue system is anything as shitty as the PVP queue system.

Waiting 60+ mins fucking blows and sucks the life out of wanting to play the game, triple triad or no.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rozaria Eleanor
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Haven't we always had to wait until patch?
    could be mistaken but didn't they before at least mentioned the ilvl?!

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Gonna be salty as shit if the choco racing queue system is anything as shitty as the PVP queue system.

Waiting 60+ mins fucking blows and sucks the life out of wanting to play the game, triple triad or no.
    I thought they made mention that it was done locally?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Them bunny outfits tho.

idk why they even bother putting the lalafell in the outfit, i guess some people are into that.

2.51 looking good.

inb4 zodiac quest actually in 2.52

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rozaria Eleanor
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Adajer View Post
    inb4 zodiac quest actually in 2.52
    bro pls

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Gold Saucer is gonna be so boring.

Can't steal cards from other players, what's the reason.

3.0 better be fun...

I am getting way too good at reading eorzean alphabet. x-x i actually understood what the promotional posters were saying with almost no headscratching, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast