1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 32 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 32 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

It's too late to get seriously into crafting for this current cycle. I'd get your gatherinf classss to 50 since even in HQ AF they can gather some money items. If you wantto get crafts to 50 go for it, but they will not be a source of income until the xpac and a gear reset because at the moment is takes a fortune to get crafting up to where it needs to be (ie not new player friendly at all)

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Andradi View Post
    I'd be careful here, especially when you get to higher levels the NPC prices balloon all out. Best to check marketboard prices first, and compare to the NPC prices on xivdb in town.
    Hmm, maybe it's just my luck then. Though again I did this while NIN was still new so that was probably a reason why MB gear was so effin high.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sukimin Yakumo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Though, if you really like crafting, take it to 50, since at least you can make 2* food and you can repair your own gear. How much it'll take to get to that point, I don't remember.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

With Ixali dailies (unlocked at Lv41ish MSQ) probably not that long, plus added benefit of Ehcatl Sealants.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    - I've already had multiple free companies recruit me solely on the basis that I'm new. Wtf. You can't be getting good members that way... thanks for the 10k gil though, that was nice.
    A lot of Free Companies just do active recruitment. Some are actually decent leveling groups that'll help out, most just want your delicious delicious activity points.
    - When should I start caring about gear, and more importantly: why? I'm still using stuff I got from quests - ranging from current to several levels behind in most cases - and it's working just fine.
    For the most part, you don't need to buy gear upgrades. If your weapon is more than ten levels out of date, or your accessories more than fifteen, it can help, but you can get away with a lot during leveling as long as you understand your class. Note that you can buy normal-quality gear from vendors that isn't terrible.

That said, enough grade II and higher materia is worth enough gil that it can often cover the value of the gear.
    - When does this easy leveling tail off, and what do I do then? It's already a lot slower now but until the story quests catch up with my level, I'm not too worried.
    You can expect most of a level from the Duty Finder Low-level roulette every day, and the main story quests keep throwing EXP at you pretty constantly. It very seldom gets to the point of dragging on your first class, though it doesn't hurt to unlock your Challenge Log.
    [quote]- Right now the easiest way I see of making gil is simply selling loot I pick up, whether from quests or dungeons. I might dig into crafting when I get bored with leveling ACN/SMN (not bloody soon); is crafting good for money? Looking at Alchemy.[quote]
    Most of the high-value sales won't be cost-effective to work toward right now: augmentation books or the Kirimu grimoires take a lot of work to be able to make, and there's not that much demand. Raid potions (X-Potions of Strength, Potent Poisoning Potions) can sometimes be valuable enough to make a bit of gil on, though.
    - Speaking of loot, what's the deal with need/greed in dungeons?
    Can only Need on gear you could currently equip as your current class. Greed is for items that you might use for alt classes, or to sell to vendors for gil or to trade into your Grand Company for seals.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ada Rusheart
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    It's too late to get seriously into crafting for this current cycle. I'd get your gatherinf classss to 50 since even in HQ AF they can gather some money items. If you wantto get crafts to 50 go for it, but they will not be a source of income until the xpac and a gear reset because at the moment is takes a fortune to get crafting up to where it needs to be (ie not new player friendly at all)
    Depends how you want to make money, really. There are huge piles of items you can make money on that nearly anyone can make.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Leveling gathering is still pretty nice for gil. You pretty much buy the most gil efficient gathering gear for your level, don't mind HQ/NQ too much, check google for a gathering location guide per level, check MB for what sells and gather away. SB your gear when you can and keep going all the way to 50. I think bought my small house with the money I made doing that with miner and botanist.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Andradi View Post
    Depends how you want to make money, really. There are huge piles of items you can make money on that nearly anyone can make.
    There's a decent market on 2*/3* mats, which is where I'm getting my gil back up with after having blown 3mil upgrading from melded AF gear to melded Artisans.

The welfare Artisan set from Ixali oakknots also make the process of getting 2* ready easier for new players (vs. ye olde melded Patricians set) so you can start work on making gil to get some proper gear made and melded.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ada Rusheart
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    There's a decent market on 2*/3* mats, which is where I'm getting my gil back up with after having blown 3mil upgrading from melded AF gear to melded Artisans.
    Was more referring to sub 50 gear, which doesn't require millions in materia and whatnot to be able to attempt, nevermind HQ.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by gattsuru View Post
    A lot of Free Companies just do active recruitment. Some are actually decent leveling groups that'll help out, most just want your delicious delicious activity points.

For the most part, you don't need to buy gear upgrades. If your weapon is more than ten levels out of date, or your accessories more than fifteen, it can help, but you can get away with a lot during leveling as long as you understand your class. Note that you can buy normal-quality gear from vendors that isn't terrible.

That said, enough grade II and higher materia is worth enough gil that it can often cover the value of the gear.

You can expect most of a level from the Duty Finder Low-level roulette every day, and the main story quests keep throwing EXP at you pretty constantly. It very seldom gets to the point of dragging on your first class, though it doesn't hurt to unlock your Challenge Log.
    - Right now the easiest way I see of making gil is simply selling loot I pick up, whether from quests or dungeons. I might dig into crafting when I get bored with leveling ACN/SMN (not bloody soon); is crafting good for money? Looking at Alchemy.
    Most of the high-value sales won't be cost-effective to work toward right now: augmentation books or the Kirimu grimoires take a lot of work to be able to make, and there's not that much demand. Raid potions (X-Potions of Strength, Potent Poisoning Potions) can sometimes be valuable enough to make a bit of gil on, though.

Can only Need on gear you could currently equip as your current class. Greed is for items that you might use for alt classes, or to sell to vendors for gil or to trade into your Grand Company for seals.
    so much information. thank you!

also, one more thought on the game: Ul'dah has the best music. the BEST music. Thanalan is really good too; I think I'll make this area my home base for now.

edit: one more thought: "If you want to blame someone for the mess this world's in, then blame yourself or the gods" is one of the most oddly satisfying references I've ever seen.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ul'dah at night is amazing.

It was only at Fanfest did I learn to appreciate the other 5 tracks (night/day of each city) because I was forced to listen to it.

I don't think anyone explained the class ability system to you. As you're choosing to play Arcanist at the moment, you might have noticed you can, like FFXI, level other jobs.
    As a class (not job), so, Arcanist, every 5 levels you unlock an extra ability slot which can be filled with abilities from other classes. If you're on a job, it's every 10 levels, and as being a job (Summoner/Scholar) is mandatory in the game, at level 50 you basically get 5 extra slots, rather than 10 as a class.

To unlock other abilities, you first must level the other classes. Once you hit a specific level of that class, the ability can become of use to you, regardless of the level. So for example, it's perfectly possible to unlock Blood for Blood, which is a Lancer (DRG) ability, who learns it at 34, and then switch to a level 5 class (who earns their first extra slot at that level) and use it, if applicable.

Unfortunately, due to quirky/weird design, the game, or players, makes it mandatory that you level the other classes to pick up the "essential extra abilities" in order to play your job effectively.

Go to the following link for Summoner's skills and what extra skills they can attach: http://xivdb.com/?skilltree/Summoner
    If you want to give Scholar a spin: http://xivdb.com/?skilltree/Scholar

Thankfully there's not that much as SMN you actually need. Level Archer to level 4 to unlock Raging Strikes (+10% damage for 20 seconds). You'll want this to do extra damage (in fact, getting to level 4 is so easy you might as well do it now so you have an extra ability to use on the journey to 50). And then you'll also eventually need Swiftcast (makes your next spell instant), which is a Thanamantanamge (BLM) spell, learnt at Level 26. Swiftcast is mandatory for the following 2 reasons:

To quickly get a pet out, otherwise it's a 10 second something cast time.

Sometimes (and healers will praise you for this) you might be asked to raise a party member if the healers are too busy. As Arcanist comes with a Raise (ressurection) spell by stock, you can in theory raise people. Like FFXI it's always nice to multi-task where possible (PLD Abyssea healer!), even though this game restricts that, but it's an extra tool in a possible time of need.

If you look at the chart, you'll notice that you can attach further Archer skills onto SMN, but they were absolutely useless for the following reasons:

Hawk's Eye - Increases your DEX. You do not use DEX.
    Quelling Strikes - Reduces your enmity generation; if you need to reduce your enmity as a SMN, then the tank is doing something very very wrong

Summoner's pretty shafted in their extra ability pool choices. Blizzard II is useless up to a point, but you might be able to deal some good damage if there's a LOT of mobs. Surecast is laughable at best and I cannot think of a situation where I would use it.

If you're wanting to play SCH, then Swiftcast, Protect, Stoneskin are mandatory. Additionally, if you want to be "good" (though this is subjective), picking up Cleric Stance (INT<-->MND switch) and Aero is also mandatory because SCH can do quite generous DPS with Cleric Stance. This can help make up for some DPS deficit if you're playing with potatoes. In low level dungeons (15-19) a SCH can full time cleric stance (or afk) and their fairy will auto-heal the party for you with its default AI, allowing you to act as an extra DPS. At high levels it's possible to lay down some extra damage between healing (applying DoTs) and then switching off Cleric Stance to continue healing. It's not really mandatory, but in some cases if that extra push is required, it'll be helpful.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Stoneskin is not mandatory for SCH.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Maybe mandatory is a strong word, but its a good idea to have it

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Intense View Post
    Maybe mandatory is a strong word, but its a good idea to have it
    only in cases where someone ate to many stacks needs maximum shielding and whm has no time to do it. on dungeon runs its nice to cast on tanks. but thats. every time i see a sch shield all the dps and healer with SS i want to slap them wasted time and a succor will have the same effect or better dpending in target HPs an adlo will definitly beat it, rather save the tine for DPS

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeh sorry my bad English, I guess I can slot it as Recommended. Same with Protect.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Yeh sorry my bad English, I guess I can slot it as Recommended. Same with Protect.
    Protect is more than Recommended though, pretty lame to do a 4 man dungeon with no Protect.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

At the level I'm at Protect seems helpful but not necessary. I say that because any party I've been in has had a CNJ for healing. Raging Strikes is godly with DoTs; I was way ahead of you on that one I also use Aero (useful enough) and Cure (completely unnecessary, but why not? I've got nothing better to slot).

Thanks for all the SMN info though; that will be a big help in the future.

And I'm not looking forward to leveling THM... 26 levels for one stupid ability. But I can see why it's a must-have, so I'll do it... later. My ACN isn't even 26 yet lol.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not sure how much you care about optimisation etc but since this is BG I will assume you do want to, so I'll give you a small bit of information that is relevant to you as ACN!

1. DoT damage ticks every 3 seconds (more or less), so total potency = base + dot*(duration/3). Going through this, you'll see that to maximise damage you basically want to minimise time casting Ruin - so in dungeons etc, DoT up multiple targets. This will become quicker at 30 due to an ability you'll get~

2. DoT damage is determined by your buffs and the enemy's debuffs at time of application. This means if you refresh a DoT with a few seconds left on Raging Strikes, the entire duration of the (new) DoT will be buffed by it. You can do math to work out when it's beneficial to clip (overwrite DoTs before they run out) based on this if you really want

3. If you really want to push the envelope a bit, sync a cast time spell with the tank pulling mobs for that bit of extra oomph.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Oh no I love stuff like that. I knew about the way Raging Strikes worked but hadn't thought of re-applying before a DoT runs out. That's a nice strategy.

Ruin spam is pretty much to burn MP (and max DPS) if all my DoTs are up and there are no other mobs. It's funny; MP was a scarce, precious resource in XI... and yet I literally could not spend all of mine if I tried in XIV.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

MP doesn't become a scarce resource until end-game. Before then, any time you run out of MP can be considered rare and / or bad luck / party.