• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Reformat/Reinstall of Windows 7 on my laptop...and then...

Was getting blue screen cradhes and shit on my laptop, figured it was time to do a full wipe and reinstall. So I savwd my important files to one usb drive, and downloaded a windows 7 ISO and set it up on another usb drive to boot from (because I have no idea where my windows 7 dvd is).

So far so good. I change my boot bios to boot from usb, delete my old C: partition and start installation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psobn2kwmj.jpg

And then...shit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psynvneir9.jpg

Tried it again, same error. I assume that the first piece of advice I'm going to get is "try again with a Windows 7 boot dvd" - just wondering if anyone else has any other ideas.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

looks like it might have been a bad ISO or one that was being bitchy, you might consider killing your internet when doing the install. MS tries to download all of the windows updates during install which extends the install time a fucking ton and causes massive slowdowns and issues like that

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Try updating BIOS.
    Reseat hardware.
    Try updating HDD/SSD firmware.
    Try changing HDD/SSD type in bios - Auto/ATA/Legacy/SATA/AHCI/RAID.
    Try disabling/enabling "Execute Disable Bit" in BIOS.
    Redownload ISO and reburn to USB and/or DVD (preferably).
    Test RAM.

Your USB drive is probably shit, follow the video. If you still cant get rid of the error try another USB stick

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

As stated above, that error ended up being for me a bad USB that got corrupted when writing the ISO. In my research it's also the error that gets thrown if there's a memory or storage issue too, so other things to check.

BG Level

Unfortunately this is my only computer, hard to troubleshoot the usb. Tried again with my router off, but I doubt my computer knows it has Internet available given that i just wiped it.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Try updating BIOS.
    Reseat hardware.
    Try updating HDD/SSD firmware.
    Try changing HDD/SSD type in bios - Auto/ATA/Legacy/SATA/AHCI/RAID.
    Try disabling/enabling "Execute Disable Bit" in BIOS.
    Redownload ISO and reburn to USB and/or DVD (preferably).
    Test RAM.
    How much of this can I do with my computer in this shape? Other than the startup menu i can't do much without an OS, right?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Most of it.. but will need something with a usb/cd burner for a few.

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Unfortunately this is my only computer, hard to troubleshoot the usb. Tried again with my router off, but I doubt my computer knows it has Internet available given that i just wiped it.
    Wife's computer or friends? No other hardware in the house? Are you living in 1995?!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Wife's computer or friends? No other hardware in the house? Are you living in 1995?!
    Only other machine is an old busted iMac that I replaced with this laptop. Wife used her work laptops for 10 years but now she's home with a baby so no access there.

Wish I could find my damn Windows 7 CD, I know I wouldn't have intentionally tossed it. Probably buried in a box in the basement somewhere.

Hmm, only other thing I could think of would be to take the USB to the local library and check it there or burn a disc there. I think libraries still offer computer access? Libraries exist still right? lol

BG Level

I'm guessing it's the iso, not the usb drive itself that is the problem. I'll check the usb drive at work tomorrow though.

BG Level

Apparently Microsoft started restricting Windows downloads to people with non-OEM keys literally 2 weeks ago, so I'm having a hard time getting my hands on a copy. HP is making me jump through tons of hoops and I'm not optimistic that they will hook me up with a copy. Apparently my computer didn't come with a win7 disc but it's pre-installed with recovery software that would allow me to make a usb or dvd...if I hadn't wiped it. So yeah, not sure what to do next. Checked my USB drive at work for errors, none found.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you're downloading windows, be sure to check if it has the same hash checksum as the original msdn isos. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sub...dex=0&FileId=0 is one way to get sha1 hashes, and something to check the hashes of the downloaded files: http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/ , http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/ or others.

You can easily find a magnet for it, so just check the hash.

Could also ask your work (or friends at work) if they have a disc you could borrow. Won't need their keys, just the disc (provided it's not some restore disc or strict oem-branded image).

BG Level

Work has a bunch of win7 pro and ultimate discs but not home premiere 64-bit. Finding a magnet has actually been weirdly hard, since Internet searches keep coming back with links to MS, which all got broken a couple weeks ago.

BG Level

I guess I'll grab one off iptorrents at work today and see if I can make that work.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

There's good, working ways around needing an original key, though you could probably find an oem key for your laptop's manufacturer that works with pro or ult. You won't have to go far in your searches. I did this a long time ago for a couple of my laptops since win7 has that anytime upgrade thing, just fed it some ult version oem key I found online and it went ahead without a care (had asus and hp laptops it worked on). Dunno if that works now though, might, so maybe borrow one of the work discs as a backup in case what you download doesn't work again.

You can also remove a single file in those pro discs to enable all versions to show up in the installer. it's ei.cfg, and here's a utility for that: http://code.kliu.org/misc/winisoutils/ (obviously you make an iso and then do this to the iso). You can do the deletion yourself with various iso tools as well. Can probably do the same thing after you (re)make your bootable usb drive (just remove ei.cfg).

BG Level

Thanks for all the tips, hopefully I can beat this thing tonight.

BG Level

Got it all set up thanks guys. Had to dl the ethernet driver at work and bring it home to install so i could set up everything else, but it's working like a charm now.

BG Level

So...got another BSOD, same one I used to, inpage kernel error or whatever. Looked at the bsod thread, and I'm running memtest86. How long am I supposed to let this thing run? It's been 12 hours now...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psqlgrwmpw.jpg