Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

West Virginia Train Derailment

Oil is leaking into the Kanawha River

Local websites published images of large flames and a thick plume of black smoke near a partly frozen river.

At least 14 cars were affected and one plunged into the Kanawha River, state officials said.

There are also reports that a train car crashed into a house, but there were no initial reports of fatalities.

Rail company CSX said in a statement that one person was being treated for potential inhalation, but no other injuries were reported.

Residents of Adena Village and Boomer have been urged to evacuate after the accident happened at 13:30 (18:30 GMT).

Darrin McGuffin, about a quarter-mile from the scene, told the BBC the fire was still out of control late in the afternoon.

He estimated about half a mile of the river was burning.

Lawrence Messina of the State Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety told the BBC the car that fell into the river is leaking oil.

State emergency response and environmental officials headed to the scene - a rural, coal mining area near Montgomery.

West Virginia American Water shut down a water treatment plant, located three miles away an hour after the derailment, spokeswoman Laura Jordan said. The plant serves about 2,000 customers.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31492659
    http://www.wvnstv.com/story/28120275...-montgomery-wv

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Darrin McGuffin
    seems like a convenient plot device

anyway this is why i don't oppose the keystone pipeline. as it stands, rail is the only real way to move oil across the country, and pipelines are safer. that being said, i don't exactly support it, either. safer being the operative word.

i wonder what caused the derail. my guess is someone doing something stupid. never fuck with trains, man.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    i wonder what caused the derail. my guess is someone doing something stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6souls
    West Virginia Train Derailment
    Probably a safe bet

When they announced this all over the local news in Western PA I rolled my eyes and thought, 'What the fuck did Cleetus do now?'

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Buckwild Season 2 filming?

Just kind of a progressively growing list of fuck ups, really. Before this, they had the scarcely/poorly inspected chemical storage facilities leaking junk into the rivers, then earlier still the mine collapse. At the moment, this particular event has two water treatment plants closed for fear of contamination, nevermind whatever other potential long term damage may come of it. Getting probably half a foot of snow has no doubt hindered potential clean up and assessment, too.

I may not be entirely wild about my aunt using her FB as a political soapbox, but it does occasionally dredge up some of the cronyism and other poor business practices in the state. "Right To Work" being a general union-busting thing that's got some steam at the moment and would only perpetuate, if not worsen, the corner cutting that goes on already.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If there's contamination, it can stunt more children's intellectual development in WV, further causing more industrial accidents which further stunt more children - the cycle continues!!!

Think I heard earlier that there hasn't been any confirmation of contamination yet, but clean up is still mired by weather and location. Ultimately waiting to learn the train driver had been operating past some amount of safe hours or had been pulling too many doubles or something and took a turn too fast.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If you face east under a certain light; first pic looks like higher contamination crit change.

I know CSX is hardcore about hours, to the point where if you cap out, you stop train now. Its probably going to be due to equipment age/condition over operator error. They cant get new locos to hit the newer regs, so they are dredging up the old retired, patching them up, and flogging the shit out of them.