1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 8 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 21 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 12 hours, 8 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Chocobo Racing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Early morning is probably the best time to grind 1st place wins if you want to avoid being fucked over by an actual person, so many of those stupid potions that force you to sprint and so many missed boxes that would have given me a potion or sprint shoes to win and the game just pulls it away from you last minute

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sukimin Yakumo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Saw meteor for the first time today. Brutal. 30% to all birds and prevents sprint for like 20 secs. But was at very end so didn't matter. Maybe exaggerating.
    Oh hi there, Lightning Bolt.

Is there an idiots guide for chocobo breeding, ie "do this to get better chocoboes".

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I've been hit by 3 meteors in a row (3 were in one chest). The good part about it is that just about EVERYONE suffers, so its kinda like Lightning in Mario Kart. Everyone went from about 50% to 0% and it was a slog to the finish.

Edit: About breeding; I'm currently waiting on my baby bird to be born. I have a friend that bred last night. Took their Grade 1 buzzard at 41 and mated it with a grade 9 and got a grade 2. I took my Grade 1 and mated it with a grade 3, shooting for a grade 2. You're probably going to have to do it in steps, but I'll give more info when I get it. I know that grades have a fairly substantial effect on base stats, because I was racing against my bud earlier and his bird at a lower level was surpassing mine by quite a bit across the board.

I hear the R100 races are brutal; I cant wait!

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Early morning is probably the best time to grind 1st place wins if you want to avoid being fucked over by an actual person, so many of those stupid potions that force you to sprint and so many missed boxes that would have given me a potion or sprint shoes to win and the game just pulls it away from you last minute
    Bacchus water feels so inconsequential unless you get hit by a briar and stamina actually becomes a concern. Which means little for the water because briar OP. You spend most of the race sprinting anyways. At least for me from 6ish to 22.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

^ Wine only pisses me off if the 2% of my races happen where I actually want to hold some stamina. Again, that's like, 2% of my races. Briars is the true evil, and its why I love having the sprint as an ability; get the fuck out in front from the get go and stay away from all the masses spamming briars.

Its also why there's technique in manipulating the racers behind you by choosing to grab and ignore some items. I'll scarf up every boost in first, but I'll also snag all the heavys and anything that will lead to a briar going to whoever is behind me. Basic stuff, but it wins races when everyone behind you is at half your stamina halfway through the race because dick punching.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Yep.

In first by a huge lead, ignore if the second item is good (sprint stamina heavy) and the first item is meh for you (water ability briar). The hard part is when briars are in the very first box because then it's usually a crapshoot with everyone packed so tightly.

Also pays to not spam some items immediately. If a briar is coming at you and you have sprint or stamina, use it. If not lathered, don't pop stamina immediately. I dunno about this one but drop out of lathered for a sec to conserve stamina and then pop sprint to hit max speed without the wind up. Stamina beats water, etc.

Water is just so underwhelming. Only really matters if you catch someone with it over and over.

Anyone know if exp in premade races is worse than "random"? Wondering if you could win spam someone efficiently.

Careful, my chocobo has choco steal (steal item from forerunning chocobo at a 50% chance) as an ability. maybe it pays to not spam some items immediately, but it might not pay for you. :D

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Oh snap, NIGGA STOLE MAH BIKE in choco form.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Well shit. Yeah I tend to underlook abilities because I have Esuna. Which is pretty meh.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Confirmed that choco colors come from breeding. I know a few cats that grinded last night and have tropical birds now.
    Have they tried the R-40 yet? Curious if it rewards more MGP.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I've done R20, R40 60 and R80. Each rewards mostly more experience, not so much MGP. I'll hammer down the exact amounts but I was pretty much getting about 108 MGP for first place in R80 this afternoon.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

102MGP is what I believe I was getting off the top of my head for R21-60

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Edit: These figures are CONFIRMED.

I come bearing new Info!.... as soon as I finish this race.

Edit: Okay, and share with me if your experience has differed. My first starter chocobo was Grade 1 pedigree, 2/4 stars in all categories. Each stat was 100 for the cap. After breeding that rank 41 buzzard with a grade 3 pedigree male, it produced a grade 2 pedigree bird, who inherited 2/4 stars from my original bird in ALL stats except for Stamina, of which it had 3/5 stars.

Here's where things get interesting. Simply from the act of going from a grade 1 to a grade 2 pedigree, all stats caps increased from 100 to 140, while still being 2/4 stars. The Stamina stat, which had 3/4 stars, increased from 100 to 180. Therefore, we can surmise based on these findings that, at least for now:

1) Increasing a pedigree rank adds 40 to the total stat cap of each stat overall.
    2) Increasing the rating of an individual stat 1 out of 4 stars also adds 40 to the overall stat cap.

Edit: When increasing your pedigree grade, you also get bonus stats from grades of feed. Seems to be around a 50% chance? With my Grade 2 Pedigree bird, I obtained a bonus stat point from my first grade 2 bag of feed (3 speed instead of 2), and seemed to alternate between +1 and +2 to stats from my grade 1 feedings. I'll test, again, of course, when I attempt for my grade 3 Pedigree bird.

Share your overall experiences below.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ibi Risasi
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've done R20, R40 60 and R80. Each rewards mostly more experience, not so much MGP. I'll hammer down the exact amounts but I was pretty much getting about 108 MGP for first place in R80 this afternoon.
    From what I've seen:

1. MGP reward seems to be 50% of Exp reward (definitely the case in R-80, I think it's also the case in R-40, I suspect it might always be true).
    2. 4th place finish in R-80 was 140 xp, 1st place finish in R-40 was 144 xp, so I suspect that unless you're finishing first in every single race, and assuming you can consistently finish 4th or better in the next tier up, you're better off doing the higher tier.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Here's where things get interesting. Simply from the act of going from a grade 1 to a grade 2 pedigree, all stats caps increased from 100 to 140, while still being 2/5 stars. The Stamina stat, which had 3/5 stars, increased from 100 to 180. Therefore, we can surmise based on these findings that, at least for now:

1) Increasing a pedigree rank adds 40 to the total stat cap of each stat overall.
    2) Increasing the rating of an individual stat 1 out of 5 stars also adds 40 to the overall stat cap.
    This makes me wonder if there are longer races available that we're just not seeing yet, or if raising stats just has a very very small effect even long term. If raising both stars and pedigree adds 40 to the caps, that means you'd see stats in the 400 range eventually, which should make for incredibly short races. Even now in the 1-40 bracket races barely take over 2 minutes.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Guy must have been mad as fuck. Literally last second pulled ahead.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Another tidbit of info - I'll edit my previous post as well.

When increasing your pedigree grade, you also get bonus stats from grades of feed. With my Grade 2 Pedigree bird, I obtained a bonus stat point from my first grade 2 bag of feed (3 speed instead of 2), and seemed to alternate between +1 and +2 to stats from my grade 1 feedings. I'll test, again, of course, when I attempt for my grade 3 Pedigree bird.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I'm still waiting for Godbert to show up in the last 20% on foot to steal a 1st place win.

Also, random observation: While the tracks are basically just stuck within a copy of their respective zones, all of the aetherytes are missing.

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Guy must have been mad as fuck. Literally last second pulled ahead.
    I thought I got shafted by this yesterday as it listed me in the second slot but turns out we finished with identical times and it gave us both the win (Has the 1st place thing next to the person in 2nd too). I would have been so mad too as I basically got screwed into 0 stamina on the finishing straight which is why I got caught

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Korialstrasz View Post
    This makes me wonder if there are longer races available that we're just not seeing yet, or if raising stats just has a very very small effect even long term. If raising both stars and pedigree adds 40 to the caps, that means you'd see stats in the 400 range eventually, which should make for incredibly short races. Even now in the 1-40 bracket races barely take over 2 minutes.
    Probably want that extra stamina to survive a meteor, that really rapes your stamina bar . Its like -30~40% stamina bar or something O_o

I've started to boost up stamina and endurance so I can literally just accelerate the entire run almost if I get a +10% stam buff, 10sec no stam usage buff, or a heroic thing (especially the heroic buff) at any time during the race in the zone race with that stamina pad. This way I can literally run max speed (which is buffed pretty high) forever which at times puts me 10+ seconds over the 2nd place person.