1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 9 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 22 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 11 hours, 9 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Chocobo Racing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Some people have asked me for this, so I'll post updates on the enemy obstacles that I've encountered thus far. Credit to Seravi and others for help.

Cactuar (Sagoli): R60 - Paces left to right. Stamina loss.
    Mandragora (Tranquil): R60 - Stationary, hard to see. Stamina loss.
    Jellyfish (Costa): R60 Inflicts distract/silence for 8-10s? Paces left to right.
    Imp(Tranquil): R80 - harmless unless you possess an item. Will move left and right to attempt to contact and will steal your current item.
    Colibri (Costa): R80 - attempts to a super fast drive-by at pre-set positions on the map. Unknown effect if hit.
    Colbryn (Sagoli): R80 - stands stationary, but explodes upon contact, draining stamina. Cannot jump over.
    Malboro (Tranquil) R100 - Stationary, wide conal bad breath. DO NOT TOUCH.
    Gobbue (Costa): R100 - Stationary, circular DOT field effect, sneeze. Unknown debuff as I'm not stupid enough to drive over it, lol.
    Pieste (Sagoli: R100 - Stationary, conal AOE paralyze eye. Unknown debuff.

I'll get more as I have time.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

R-60 (if it matters):

Cactuar (Sagoli): Lose some stamina on hit. Paces left and right.
    Mandragora (Tranquil): Same thing but stationary. Can be harder to spot because it's head is buried in the road but pretty easy to avoid.
    Jellyfish (Costa): Inflicts distract/silence for 10? seconds. Paces left and right.

Also hitting any of these breaks your stride a bit as far as maintaining top speed sprinting.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Stat caps start getting crazy. My friend has a pedigree 4 and he's already looking at 280/320 stat caps, lol. Getting triple points on grade 1 foods. This is getting good!

Hoping for some R500 races down the road that give like, 1.5k GMP.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

So food grade doesn't matter still? Just throw a bunch of grade 1 at it eh?

Also, go chocobo go!

http://www.neko-sentai.com/images14/kweh.jpg

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Do races start getting longer? I've just been spamming Sagoli from R1 until R24 so far and all of them seem to be in the 117 to 135 range. Usually low 120's though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Food grade does matter. By default, Grade 1 gives +1, grade 2 gives +2 and grade 3 gives +3. It seems, though, that higher rank Pedigrees have a chance to gain additional bonus stats from food. My G2, for example, has a chance to get +1 to the effect of any food. My buddy's G4 said he was getting either +2 or +3. I hope to have my own tonight to test for myself.

Edit: I have no idea bout race length. I'm still grinding out the R80's. I won't hit the R100's full-time until I get my new bird.

Double Edit: As some have speculated, I believe there are NPC "champions" within each bracket starting with 80, much like FFVII. Particularly fast or nasty NPCs with bardings that generally do very, VERY well when on the field. Speed Racer is an example within the R80 bracket, with his Dragoon Barding, relatively badass leather attire and vicious combo of head start + choco dash coupled with high top speed. His weakness seems to be stamina if you can deny him stamina-boosting tablets. When I get deeper into R100, I'll keep an eye out for other such NPC riders.

I feel like its a really, really nice touch, especially with a system that completely lacks queues by having NPC racers. Coupled with the fact that Joe (Joseph) exists in the game (meaning we'll more than likely race against Taoh in the top brackets), this whole thing is giving me the greatest FFVII nostalgia feeling.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Is there a max rank/level your first chocobo can attain? How do you decide at what rank/level to breed to see positive gains on your next choco?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

No idea on either of those. At this point I'm focused entirely on breeding up as quickly as possible to attain Pedigree ranks, which have a tremendous amount of influence on your overall stats. Once I have a "stock" of high pedigree chocobos, I can then attempt to max one of them out level-wise and then breed that to see if it has any sort of bonus. Presumably it does, but I don't feel that it'd be a net gain to try to level a P1 chocobo up to 50+, only to breed it into a 2 or 3 when you could have taken up a 2 to a 4 or a 3 to a 5 in that time.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yeah that's my concern. I don't want to max 2 beginner chocobos and breed them if the outcome would essentially be the same or slightly better than 2 lower level chocos. I guess I'll get two to level 20, max train them and breed.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Bred my P2 with a P7 (rolled the dice) and am going to get a P3 out of it, so I'll stick to just doing 2 grades higher than my current grade to get the one in the middle. I'll let you know how the stats turn out in about 6 hours.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eidle Weiss
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

What are the optimal stats to train for? Stamina and endurance? Do you just pump all your training into 1 or 2 stats or try and train them evenly?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

My third chocobo is a Pedigree 3 Male with 3/4 stars in all parameters with a stat cap of 220 for each. I'll do some food testing to see if I can get a +3 effect on a grade 1. At level 1, he couldn't race in the lowbie bracket.

Lol.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

This would be so much better if it was a minigame like Triple Triad instead of something that makes you unable to use the DF. I was very hyped for the races but I can't justify racing over other doing other duties in the game (plus the gameplay is not even that engaging to begin with).

Really wish they'd let us queue for Duties while racing but I'm not holding my breath on this one since people are still waiting to be able to queue with their chocobo companions out.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Seems SE was smarter than I thought (not that I was calling them idiots). They've balanced Pedigree when racing through the lower brackets by ensuring that you'll always be a drastically lower level than your lower pedigree opposition, making for somewhat balanced races. The difference is obviously that a higher pedigree bird will go deeper into the upper bracket races before capping out, and can gain absurd stat bonuses through training.

This is making me hope for some kind of godly R300 series. I'm hoping to see a potential R120 series before I hit 40 and breed my next bird.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    This would be so much better if it was a minigame like Triple Triad instead of something that makes you unable to use the DF. I was very hyped for the races but I can't justify racing over other doing other duties in the game (plus the gameplay is not even that engaging to begin with).

Really wish they'd let us queue for Duties while racing but I'm not holding my breath on this one since people are still waiting to be able to queue with their chocobo companions out.
    How would this even work.

You're queued on the DF, you're in the middle of a race and then... suddenly drop out? Other members wait for you to finish the race?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

the next time you race try taking your hands off the keyboard, it might blow your mind. Or just have you automatically drop out, either is fine.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Can confirm: racing manuals are NOT permanent. Upgrade at your own risk.

Edit: Also confirmed: R120 and R140 brackets.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Can confirm: racing manuals are NOT permanent. Upgrade at your own risk.

Edit: Also confirmed: R120 and R140 brackets.
    Still the same three tracks? Maybe they will add more in a future patch... as it is now, once you memorize the "lane" a buff is in, its kind of an easy race to win in almost. I'm nearing my 100 1st place wins now and lvling at an obscene pace with how easy it is to 1st place constantly sometimes waaayyyy ahead of people.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

^ That'll change once you breed higher grade birds and are thrust into higher brackets at lower levels to compensate.

Also, after playing around with stats, I believe the most secure build for constant victories is a stamina/endurance bird with both head start and choco dash II. Head start instantly maxes your speed out of the gate and the following dash = healthy lead. With a pure stamina/end build, you'll never run out regardless of what happens behind you, and you get priority on all of the boxes. Its the build I'll be working towards in the future.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    ^ That'll change once you breed higher grade birds and are thrust into higher brackets at lower levels to compensate.

Also, after playing around with stats, I believe the most secure build for constant victories is a stamina/endurance bird with both head start and choco dash II. Head start instantly maxes your speed out of the gate and the following dash = healthy lead. With a pure stamina/end build, you'll never run out regardless of what happens behind you, and you get priority on all of the boxes. Its the build I'll be working towards in the future.
    Sounds like what I have, and with a top end speed so I can just hold down the rush forward (which as the pic above I posted has been giving me a big lead on early runs constantly). The ONLY, bad thing, is you miss out on a few box's as they spawn after certain amount of time? and meteor/other stuff can still mess you up even if your 1/4th the map ahead of everyone ;/

Randomly, meteor doesn't seem to hit everyone, just the person in front of you(with an incredibly large radius). Like I've gotten hit before, and only the #2 guy got meteor also, no one else.