+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: HTC Vive (VR Headset)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Vive Pro got announced, alongside a wireless dongle for both regular Vives and Pros to come out later this year. Not seeing any pricing as of yet, but given the specs and the "Pro" label, I'm expecting it to cost more than the current Vive. Screen panel resolution in it will be 2880x1600, up against 2160x1200 of the current Vive.

Hope the wireless is both latency-free and not too battery heavy, as that'll sever one of the biggest annoyances with VR. The increased panel resolution should also mean less screendoor effect, although the amount of GPUs on the market being able to push that at native resolution at 90hz will be pretty low, so I'd expect a lot of upscaling for most PC builds. At least until foveated rendering becomes a reality in a future model.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Vive Pro preorder is now Open, $799
    Vive Standard Price Cut to $499

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

https://developer.vive.com/eu/vive-focus-for-developer/
    Some more info. 2880x1600 resolution screen, so 1440x1600 per eye which matches the Vive Pro specs. This is higher than the 1080x1200 per eye both consumer models of Vive/Rift have, although this is a dev kit.

I don't quite understand the push for these phone-less sets with phone guts in them. We got Oculus with their GO model (an even more budget HMD, 3DoF only) on the near horizon, with a later prototype Santa Cruz which looks to match the Focus feature set. But these are not powerful enough for any real gaming use on their own short of very basic 3d visuals. You could make an argument for 3d business presentation stuff via stereoscopic video playback, but 180/360-degree video requires ludicrously high resolutions to not come off as a blurry mess. There's also concerns for possible heat build-up from the mobile hardware which'll add to how warm these HMDs already get when worn. I don't feel the education angle will work as well as they state on that one article to warrant a dedicated device.

If either of them toted optional wired/wireless connectivity with a PC (assuming their 6DoF is competent enough to not drift too far off their center-point over time) then we'd have potential for these competing with Windows Mixed Reality headsets in both being usable on PC for gaming, and having the bonus of also being portable to enjoy or show off on their own for simpler things.

My kneejerk response is that the Vive Focus is just them releasing something to sell that acted as an excuse to let them explore sensor-less tracking methods, and building it into their software base for a possible long-term goal of rolling it into a Vive 2.