Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Battle Chasers: Nightwar (PC/PS4/XB1/NSW) - October 3, 2017

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/26/811...-joe-madureira

Spoiler: show

Fourteen years after putting the ninth issue of comic book Battle Chasers to bed, Joe Madureira is pulling it out of retirement. And he's bringing it back as both a comic and a game.

In the late '90s, Madureira created the hardcore favorite comic series, known for its distinctive art and inconsistent schedule. As the years went on, the series faded away and Madureira shifted to a career in games, co-founding developer Vigil and overseeing the Darksiders action series.

Now Madureira and Vigil co-founder Ryan Stefanelli are digging into Madureira's past for their new company, Airship Syndicate.

Speaking to Polygon, Madureira and Stefanelli say they aren't ready to describe the Battle Chasers game in detail yet, but that it will be a role-playing game, players will get to control classic Battle Chasers characters including Garrison, Gully and Calibretto and the game will feature a sense of adventure similar to the Darksiders games. [Update: In the original version of this story, we reported Airship saying it was targeting PC and tablets. Shortly after we posted this story, Airship contacted Polygon to say that it is targeting PC and consoles, and “considering" a tablet version.]

"Even though the game mechanically is going to be very different from Darksiders, I think we're still really going to be doing everything we can to make sure that the dungeon exploration side of the game is soaked with lots of fun adventurous elements," says Stefanelli.

Stefanelli adds that he hopes to keep the development team small, between 10 and 15 people, to make a game that is "kind of classic and old school but presented with some new modern twists."

For the comic, Madureira doesn't have a publisher or a release date to announce, and says part of the appeal for him at this point is seeing the franchise evolve as his tastes have evolved. "I partially just want to update it," he says. "I think it's going to get a visual overhaul too. My art style and storytelling style, everything's sort of changed and evolved over the years."

Madureira says he's thinking of the new comic run in three-issue arcs. The first of those will wrap up the story he left dangling in 2001 — "so people can finally stop asking," he jokes — and tie into the game. After that, he says he'd like to do further three-issue arcs but he's waiting to see how everything shakes out before committing to more.

At the moment, Airship is looking for funding for the game, and hasn't decided whether that will be from an investor, a publisher or Kickstarter. "We're going to sort of let fate decide for us exactly how we should best pay for the game," says Stefanelli.

And while Madureira and Stefanelli say they expect the game will occupy the majority of their time, they are also interested in making Battle Chasers into a franchise with other branches, should the right opportunities come along.

"I've always wanted to do an animated series, possibly, so there's a couple of different options that we're pursuing for bringing the franchise back in a big way," says Madureira.

Airship Syndicate hasn't announced a release timeframe yet for the comic or game, given that both are still in early stages. Check out the gallery above for a first look at concept art for the game.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Garen, is that you?

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Garen, is that you?
    Literally my first thought too.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

October 3rd
    Battle Chasers: Nightwar is an RPG inspired by the classic console greats, featuring deep dungeon diving, turn-based combat presented in a classic JRPG format, and a rich story driven by exploration of the world.

• Classic turn-based combat inspired by the console RPG greats, with a unique overcharge mana system and incredible Battle Bursts.
    • ‘Beautiful, randomly-generated dungeons loaded with traps, puzzles, secrets and loot.
    • Explore an overworld peppered with hidden dungeons, rare bosses and randomly appearing friends and foes.
    • Action oriented, randomly-generated dungeons loaded with traps, puzzles and secrets. Use each hero’s unique dungeon skills to survive.
    • Build your adventuring party by choosing three of six available heroes from the classic Battle Chasers comic series, each with unique abilities, perks, items and dungeon skills.
    • Dive into the deep crafting system, using the unique ingredient-overloading system to create epic items!

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

This game look fuckin dope hell yes

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Anyone picked this up since it came out? I just tried it out this weekend and it's pretty good. Not the best I've ever played or anything, but it's a solid entry if you're looking for a new RPG to try out. Combat mechanics are simple but pretty interesting for a while

Late game balance is completely busted though

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Definitely looking at it down the line, but got a serious backlog to work thru between DOS2, Shadow of War, and assorted PS4 titles.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Excluding the random crashes, one of which made me have to restart the whole game, I'm enjoying it so far. Pretty simple overall but a good game that doesn't require too much brainpower

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries