+ Reply to Thread
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Low FPS (FFXI not using dedicated card)

Hi guys, I'm trying to return back to FFXI and I can't get this laptop to run it at a decent FPS.

It's got 16GB DDR3 memory, 256GB SSD, i7 5500U 2.4GHz, 4GB Nvidia GTX 850m GPU running on Windows 8.1.

I downloaded GPU-z and it isn't showing any readings for GPU load on the 850m card, only the integrated card when running the game...

I have tried messing with Nvidias control center as directed (no changes), disabling the integrated chip from device manager (which won't let me launch the game at all) downloading separate drivers and uninstalling and reinstalling (no changes). This low FPS doesn't change if I run in Ashita, Windower, SE Windowed or SE full.

Anyone have some help here? I am still able to return the laptop for about a week longer, but it seems like the laptop is fine... Benchmark V3 was lower than I expected, around 14k low and 10k high. But I figure that would still be enough to have 30fps in most places. I'm getting 15fps in the character selection screen, about the same in Jeuno, and about 8 in Adoulin. Help please!

Are you running the 64-bit Vista/W7+ compatible client?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Not your laptop problem.

It's a well established rule that the better your GPU, the worst FFXI will perform, somewhat.

Try to force your rig to run FFXI by going into Optimus and adding FFXI into it. Failing that, right click POL and in "Run with GPU" choose dedicated card (I forget the menu context name).

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

From NVIDIA Control Panel:
    3D Settings-> Manage 3D settings

I went into the program settings tab and added both launcher.exe and pol.exe to the list and selected high performance nvidia GPU.

I had the same freak out you are likely having. Don't worry once you adjust this it'll be fine.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Thanks so much for the replies everyone.

Yes, I am using the Vista/7 client. I am on Windws 8.1 though.

I could have better stated it but I have noted I have tried the NVIDIA control center app. Adding FFXI specifically does not help, nor does changing global settings to run on high performance for everything. And Stig, it won't let me run it as right click it says I have to edit it in the Control Center.

More suggestions are absolutely more than welcome though. Could it be a Windows 8 problem? I've tried running POL compatible for each OS from XP and up and as admin. It either get worse, doesn't start up or no change.

Didn't there used to be some issue with MIP Mapping or some shit in the XI settings? I remember going in there a couple of times over the years to enable/disable that.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Can you disable the integrated video in the bios at boot?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

MIP mapping was unchecked, I checked it and started POL and nothing changed.

Unfortunately, I can't disable the integrated graphics card. I did try to use my HDMI to TV as well to see if that would make GPUz show any readings but nothing there as well.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Your next resort is to update/try various Intel HD 5500 drivers suitable for your CPU's integrated graphics.

I know the HD 4000 series had model displaying issues until Intel fixed them later on down the line/people backdated drivers.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Hey Stig, I tried downloading the newest drivers from Intel's website directly and it wouldn't install so I followed the info in this link http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250...9190911446231/ to install it. It installed correctly but still no performance increase. Then I started looking for drivers with the 5500 that work with FFXI but couldn't find anything on Google, only several for the 4000 and one for the 5000. Do you happen to know a driver that works or another option to try?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Unfortunately I don't own that CPU so I'm limited on knowledge for that. I was just aware of it as I briefly played FFXI on my PC with HD 4000 at the time and had problems with the models loading (known issue). It's strange you are unable to force Optimus to load FFXI with integrated graphics, but however our cards difference is that you use an 850m, I use a 640m. If I recall correctly, 2 odd years ago when I tried to run FFXI, it was stuck in integrated graphics (which had the HD 4000 issue of not loading models properly).

Due to this, I had to force it over to the dedicated graphics.

Here what I'll do. Approximately 12 hours from the time I hit reply for this thread (11am my time currently) I will be back home (11pm). I'll check if my Optimus settings are intact and see if it's any different to:

Quote Originally Posted by Mafai
    I went into the program settings tab and added both launcher.exe and pol.exe to the list and selected high performance nvidia GPU.
    Will post a screenshot, etc and we can do some comparisons.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

On my side here is what it looks like in Nvidia control panel.

Here is the global settings:

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...sen/global.png

Here is POL settings:

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...lassen/pol.png

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ok so I checked my settings. No need to past my screenshot, it's basically the same as yours.

The difference is:

I have launcher.exe (which is the windower with the mandy icon) as "Use Global setting (auto-select: integrated)"
    And I have pol.exe as "Use Global setting (auto-select: NVIDIA GPU)"

As I launch my game through Windower I wonder if it behaves differently?
    I dunno if your version/NVidia drivers support auto select too.

I left all of my settings as default otherwise.

For the Power Management Mode you selected, I have it on"use global setting"
    (infact, all of my settings are use global setting)

So yeh, a bit confusing now

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Ya, I don't think it's the Nvidia Control panel settings. I set it to run huh performance all the time on everything and GPUz isn't showing any reading on the 850m. Any other suggestions or time to return it?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It's late but I've not got any better suggestions unfortunately. However if you return it I don't think you'll fix the problem getting a new laptop. Most if not all laptops are powered by Nvidia these days

I'll dig a bit around tomorrow.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

I downloaded a different game that would be graphics intensive enough to use the dedicated card. (Planetside 2) and GPUz definitely shows that the 850m is being used while when I play FFXI the sensors read 0 or null. When I turn off the game it's no longer used and FFXI is definitely not using it. So I'm certain that's the issue. FFXI won't use the 850m and that is what is causing the low fps. Since the settings in the Nvidia control panel appear to be correct does anyone have any other suggestions to try out?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm out of suggestions short of trying to replicate my own setup (using the windower app) and having the options I set (auto-select) rather than "forced"

In theory HD5500 should handle it no prob, but however I have to say/note that the 850m may not necessarily be that much better.

I believe I had the opposite problem back then. I was worried about the fan usage of my GPU, so I did the opposite, I managed to force it to use the integrated card, only to find model errors, so I had to undo it and make it run back on Nvidia. But this was windows 7 and using a 640m.

I'm not sure if you're up for doing this but one alternative is to try different Nvidia drivers. But as my GPU is old I can't comment on the reliability/chances of success

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Has this problem been resolved? I have a surface book with performance base (which has a dedicated Nvidia 965m graphics card) and i'm having the same issue with low fps.

and the traveler
    BG Level

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/12...lper-(For-FFXI)

This may or may not help. Though the developer of this states:

As an example, I have a brand new MSI GE72VR 7RF Apache Pro with an Intel Core i7-7700HQ processor and a Nvidia Geforce 1060 graphics card. Because of being a 7th gen Intel chip, I am forced into Windows 10. Due to this, my laptop refuses to run FFXI using the dedicated graphics and instead uses the CPU rendering for everything. While this happens, with a beast of a machine like this, FFXI runs at 5-10fps. Along with that, things tend to render incorrectly or very poorly regardless of settings.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Nvm, beaten!