Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

If they merge servers they better leave Odin out of it, or merge the smallest server into it.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I miss roadmaps. It's hard to gauge where we're headed. I hope this will orient us. I doubt they're ending service, they wouldn't be trying to implement cosmetic things like lockstyle if they were gonna end the game. Plus once they announce they end the game, the psychological impact of knowing the game will end will likely result in 80% of players quitting because what's the point?

F2P would be lame because new content would never come out. F2P games like maplestory thrive on buyable gear being much better than dropped gear(except the rarest) and drop rates are so low but you can buy increased drop rate buffs from stores. It would be awful. Then they'd start making things cost Crysta or whatever the cash currency is. Oh you want to enter dynamis? 500 crysta for KI. They can start gating certain amazing gear or helpful services behind cash purchases. It would be a train wreck.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Cash Shop could actually work well for purchasing Trust Ciphers and Costumes, especially for those who come back to the game and missed out on the Login Campaigns.
    ikr. they could allow players to purchase Mog Pells (which in turn allow them to redeem for those missed campaign trusts ciphers). if they were really in it for the money (which they should be) they could go as far as to put in entirely non-canon trust ciphers from other FFs like Cloud or Lightning. They could suck and people would still lap it up.

random side note.. does anyone else get any sense of bits of familiarity seeing how FFXVs battle system is similar to solo + 3 trusts ?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    I miss roadmaps. It's hard to gauge where we're headed. I hope this will orient us. I doubt they're ending service, they wouldn't be trying to implement cosmetic things like lockstyle if they were gonna end the game. Plus once they announce they end the game, the psychological impact of knowing the game will end will likely result in 80% of players quitting because what's the point?

F2P would be lame because new content would never come out. F2P games like maplestory thrive on buyable gear being much better than dropped gear(except the rarest) and drop rates are so low but you can buy increased drop rate buffs from stores. It would be awful. Then they'd start making things cost Crysta or whatever the cash currency is. Oh you want to enter dynamis? 500 crysta for KI. They can start gating certain amazing gear or helpful services behind cash purchases. It would be a train wreck.
    matsui explained why there was no roadmap when he took over. First he had to scrap Tanakas roadmap and then reevaluate which direction he wanted to take + working on the new expansion. So their focus was the expansion + tweaks but that was the reason why there was no roadmap.

Campaign
    BG Level

Yes Ophannus, some MMO do follow that model, but that's not the only one.
    Also check this
    Check TERA, despite it being considered a failure by the majority of hardcore players, it's still alive, new content gets released constantly (altough not that fast) and it's one of the most profitable F2P games around.
    There's also BTP (Buy To Play), which for many is just a Free To Play game with slightly different model (most BTP games still have shop for cosmetic/side stuff)

Should furtherly divide F2P games into at least 2 separate groups: ones that let you buy close-game related stuff (Pay-to-win) and those that make you pay for cosmetic stuff, or small advantages. (Freemium)
    The latter model usually have a monthly license, similar to the pay-to-play games. Paying a monthly fee makes you a "premium" member, and being such you have several small advantages over other (free) players.
    Faster Experience points, a daily/weekly free box with random gifts, more additional free characters/storage space, etc etc.
    This latter model could be easily converted for FFXI where the game is "free" for everybody to play, but if you want you can become a "premium" member and benefit from stuff that will be exclusive to Premium members (double XP, double CP, double Bayld, no daily limit on Goblin Box, 4 free same-account mules, etc etc etc).
    In addition to this, create a shop selling Trusts, Cosmetic gear, other small things like that and make it open to all players wether they're premium or not.

Not saying I advocate for this model, but it's certainly possible and for other games it turned out to be better than the pay-to-play model.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    matsui explained why there was no roadmap when he took over. First he had to scrap Tanakas roadmap and then reevaluate which direction he wanted to take + working on the new expansion. So their focus was the expansion + tweaks but that was the reason why there was no roadmap.
    You sure that was the only reason?
    I remember a post from Matsui saying he was sorry he couldn't keep up a lot of the things previously announced in the lonng-term roadmaps, and so they decided to stop releasing roadmaps and only give maps for stuff soon to be released.

Ollieyk

My hope;

PS4 release & PC graphics overhaul
    Return to Vana'Diel campaign actually worth considering
    Price cut / XI+XIV combo
    Server merge
    New expansion pack
    More solo-friendly content

My expectations;

Pending server shutdown

They talk about profitability, but it gets to a point where the overhead of production outweighs the profitability. If FFXI keeps going they still need to provide a developer/team of to address bugs, they still need to maintain and provide upkeep on server backend hardware, they still need to resource a GM/team of GM's, they still need to internally process monthly payments etc...the overhead probably isn't far off their overall profitability.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I've heard that once adoulin content is complete there will be no additional FFXI content being added, just minor job tweak patches etc. From an SE employee mind you.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmagi View Post
    I've heard that once adoulin content is complete there will be no additional FFXI content being added, just minor job tweak patches etc. From an SE employee mind you.
    How recent was this though? They've been changing their minds about stuff a lot

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

When I heard this...first thing that popped in my head was :
    1). Game to go into "Maintenance Mode"
    2). Shutting down

Hope it's not the case.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

C'mon guys this is SE, they are announcing new job emotes for GEO and RUN.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    How recent was this though? They've been changing their minds about stuff a lot
    I'm not sure how recent the information was, but I heard of it from her yesterday. Supposedly a good amount of adoulin content and minor patches and then the end of major content patches.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

I would be pissed about what you said Roundelk....

But with SE...I could see them doing a live cast for that.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmagi View Post
    They've pretty much already confirmed new content will be developed for ffxi. The timeline is the only question.

(already posted this on ffxiah)
    The development team will be looking into upgrading R/M/E gear once they have implemented item level 120+. With that said, please understand that we have no concrete details to share in regards to when this (R/M/E upgrades & Item Level 120+) will be happening; just know that there are plans in the works!
    Unless you can find a specific quote more recent than 8/7/2014 that speaks to the contrary. They've also noted job points would eventually jump from 10 to 30, and anyone who actually plays ffxi knows that isn't very realistic at ilvl 119. (adding +30 STR to Hasso.... really)

No reason to assume there won't be content in 2015.

I'm pretty much in the server merges and F2P with a modest cash shop camp. No, I don't think things are gonna be shut down, but I can't much convince myself the past year+ has been a justified sub-model quality.

I suspect those hoping for graphic overhauls are aiming way too high, but I wouldn't outright eliminate dropping PS2 support, either.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I'm curious as to what people would be ok with in a Cash Shop. And if there were premium members in the f2p system, what kind of bonuses would people enjoy? I know I would like to see some type of resting bonus appear in this game that gives increased CP.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If we're going f2p with bonuses I would like the ability to apply CP earned on capped jobs to jobs that don't get brought to events... but somehow I doubt we're going f2p.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

If they go the f2p/premium account route, I don't see an issue with paying $12/mo or whatever we're paying right now for whatever "premium services" they want to offer.

End result is you either stay status quo, pay the same amount, and aren't denied access to anything, or you play for free and lose access to whatever the premium stuff is.

It's not like this was a 100% f2p game from the beginning, that decided to be dicks and try to cash in on whatever the fuck. As long as the most money they can possibly get or request is equal to the current status quo, I have no complaints.

I mean, that's pretty much what the subscription model IS, except there isn't currently a free option. You could also see it as they just adding an option to play for free, but with some limits. Basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    I'm curious as to what people would be ok with in a Cash Shop. And if there were premium members in the f2p system, what kind of bonuses would people enjoy? I know I would like to see some type of resting bonus appear in this game that gives increased CP.
    Here's what I could see:
    - Unlock subjobs from the start.
    - Unlock advanced jobs from the start.
    - Unlock quested, Mythic, and Empyrean weapon skills. (Combat skill level still required)
    - Campaign Weapon Skills.
    - Any kind of BC orb.
    - Level-based Regen/Refresh/Regain effect. (Similar to grounds tome bonuses without the need to visit one)
    - Choice of base Artifiact, Relic, and Empyrean armor set.
    - Additional mission reward equipment. (More than one DM earring, CoP ring, etc. Must have beaten the mission line, though.)
    - Portable Home Point teleportation item that recharges every hour.
    - Trusts.
    - Monstrosity souls.
    - All campaign bonuses, individually or bulked. (Likely subscription perk.)
    - Event Cooldown Resets (Dynamis, Salvage, Assault, etc.)
    - Cosmetic gear. (Wedding dresses, Tidal talisman coat, etc.)
    - Cosmetic chocobos. (Specific color, barding, etc.)
    - Special costumes. (Like transforming into the baby chocobo, mandragora, etc.)
    - Furniture. (Harp, airship, DM statues, etc.)
    - Gob chest attempts.
    - Elimination of EXP loss. (Sub)
    - Guaranteed reraise offer after 3 minutes dead. (Sub)
    - Auto-Signet/Sanction/Sigil/etc. based on location. (Sub)

...and probably some more if I sat down to reevaluate the broader dearth of (antiquated) content. For the most part, though, they're things people could naturally acquire barring limited exclusives or stuff like the resets. I'd even take things a step further in allowing any and all to be bought with gil at reasonable prices. This would introduce a much needed gil sink, but at the same time, it would also require SE to renew their efforts to curb botting and whatnot. It would also likely require an AH "Voucher" category where you could buy the voucher consumable in-game, use it, and get the respective benefit(s) for whatever period, or permanently. Could even gift them to friends.

Either way, it can work without going P2W, you just have to get people past the thought that we're still in the 2005 F2P era.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Sure they could design a f2p that isn't p2w... but do you really trust SE to make such a distinction and then properly implement it? Right now I'd say it could go either way so I'm going with the devil you know of subs