Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I just tried FFXIV. Got to level 30 LNC in 2 days. So far my impressions from an avid FFXI player:
    1) Battles seem fun for the first 20 hours because they're extremely active, can dodge special attacks(the mob's display a cone or circle of the AoE range before executing)
    2) Quests are stupid easy. Initiate quest->run 30seconds to another NPC->Run back to first->Bam 4k EXP(enough to level you up like 80% of the way)
    3) Storyline is boring, I had to like skip every cut scene because the missions are so boring and unengaging.
    4) Unlike FFXI, FFXIV is way grittier. People in cutscenes die, are executed/put to death, rape is implied sometimes.
    5) Transportation can be executed from anywhere you are by casting 'Teleport" and it will bring you to any attuned "home point" you visited before and attuned to. Teleportation costs gil and varies by distance from current location. Can attune 3 'favorites' which reduce cost, and one 'free' home point. Can D2 yourself with a 'Return' spell every 15min. Every class/job can do this.
    6) Every freaking quest rewards you with equipment(you usually get EXP/Gil and then an option of 1 piece of equipment either heavy armor, light armor or mage armor). You almost never need to buy gear because literally every quest gives a leveled piece of equipment.
    7) Can't change gear mid-fight
    8) Instanced dungeons are looooooooooong. Some of them are like 30-40min and it's killing a lot of fodder. But moreover, the queue for duty finder to find people to help you with lowbie dungeons is like 30-40min sometimes(but however there are good 'incentive' exp/gil/item bonuses for higher ppl to sync down and help you, it's an automated process so it's streamined). But the instanced dungeons are level capped so they aren't soloable by any means(even potions have a 1min reuse time and DPS jobs don't have the ability to solo 4-5 mobs at once).
    9) You can click on a dungeon entrance and set duty finder which means the server will look for people for you while you do other stuff. Problem is most light party(4 person dungeons) require 2DPS/1Healer/1tank. It's not like FFXI where you can bring whatever you want into anything...which makes sense considering every class is VERY specialized in this game, there's no 'Red Mage' or real hybrid jobs, every class/job is locked into 1 role officially. Luckily there are multiple tank jobs and multiple healer jobs.
    10) You will get SPAMMED with /tells every few min from gilseller RMT bots. EVERY MINUTE,LITERALLY.
    11) Seems to have a weaker community. You don't see 'shouts' or 'yells' since everything is handled by the duty finder. Cities are spread out. Been playing for a few days and the game seems 'lonely'. When you do a dungeon with a randomly generated party, the party auto-disbands as soon as you kill the boss.
    12) Loot dropped in dungeons can be lotted with priority if you're on a job that can use it currently. So if a heavy armor drops and you're on WHM, the 'lot' option is grayed out, however, there are 3 options when items drop "Need" "Greed" "Pass". "Need" is enabled if the item can be equipped by your current job. If your job doesn't match, you can't select it. "Greed" can be selected in this case however, meaning if nobody "Needs" the item and you select "Greed" you can obtain it but only if everyone either selects Greed or Pass. In other words if a Book drops and you don't have a SCH or SMN, nobody can select "Need", so everyone can select "Pass" or "Greed"(if they want it but arent on that job). If even one person can equip the item now and selects "Need", then their lots get priority over anyone who selects greed.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Raising the ilvl cap to 128 as the final cap would make 95% of content soloable including delves. If they stop content in a year without adding anything after it, then everything in FFXI will be soloable except for the final bit of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Xiv is fun until you hit 50 then people turn into giant assholes. I was good st the game and still couldn't get along with the self righteous douche bags

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Skeelo View Post
    Xiv is fun until you hit 50 then people turn into giant assholes. I was good st the game and still couldn't get along with the self righteous douche bags
    thats why you need to get into a friendly/good/competent Free company

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Personally one of my biggest issues with it is the battle system, just isn't for me. The gear progression model is terrible imo as well, spam the same 50 dungeons to cap tokens over weeks and then next big update its all trashed where you start that grind again. I remember it took me ages to get a bunch of relic armor sets for the jobs and then they put them in dungeons, same thing with Darklight gear. People say FFXI has that but I still use so much gear from 75 cap, skirmish I use the older ones for PDT, etc. I haven't even been throwing things out every update in FFXI and it not like they took hour and hours to get for the most part. There are many more things I dislike but don't wanna turn this into a vs argument lol, just one of the biggest ones I feel.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    thats why you need to get into a friendly/good/competent Free company
    Maybe more a good static. My LS/FC in ARR had a lot of people I knew from XI in it, but just the way the game and content is structured was too rigid. At the time, job setups meant doing dungeons with certain people was almost right out (would be less so now with more stuff leveled). If you don't have exactly the right number of people, you're either grabbing randoms via Duty Finder, or leaving folks out.

There's a flexibility in XI that's almost entirely absent in ARR, at least from when I was last subscribed. Not a lot of "real" content to solo, or lowman, or take extra people so they can learn...designed exactly for this composition, capped at this level or needing that ilevel, etc. Like the itemization, it's just not very interesting, and not very fun to participate in for those of us with an aversion to Duty Finder.

It's not ARR's fault per se. It's basically a really pretty, albeit much smaller, clone of WoW peppered with Guild Wars 2's dynamic events and elements from other games. I've played a few of those, and they're fun on the way up, but don't keep my interest much past that.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Can you lockstyle gear in 14? Most of it looks really cartoonish and WoW-ish. I'll give it to SE for making tons of unique and customizable gear but more than half of it is ugly as fuck. Was hoping I can lock Mythology gear because it looks sweet on DRG.

I haven't touched 14 since playing the beta last summer, but I was left with good impressions, and am eager to return once I wrap up 11's content in November. Here are some of the main differences and why I think the experience will be better/worse for it.

The battle system: I like that there's a lot more going on and a lot more to pay attention to. Battles in 14 demand that it takes your full concentration, whether it's in solo or group combat. Granted, I can't speak for all jobs in 11, but in my experience, I usually just auto attack, use an odd JA (or in blu's case, cast a spell) once in a while, and wait for TP so I can use a weapon skill. Healing/buffing can get more compicated, but compared to the movement and the graphics and everything going on in 14's battles, it just feels a lot more involved. I guess "dynamic" is the term I would go for.

Equipment/leveling: I've heard one of the biggest complaints is the linear equipment progression, and I can sort of see where that's coming from. The lack of very many unique stats like Fast Cast, Double Attack, etc would make it seem like there's less variety. But I was never one for going for maximum optimization for all situations. For me, I am satisfied if I go into a raid hoping for boots that are hands-down better than what I have, and when I get those boots and put them on, I am noticably more powerful. And if the next day, I get another pair of boots that make the first ones irelevant, who cares? I just don't have the urge to deem time invested in a single peice of gear as wasted if I still had fun exploring the content.

And speaking of content: That's really what I'm hoping to get out of 14, more fantasy adventure content to consume. Yeah, maybe 11 has 14 beat in terms of plotlines that do more than revolve around "Kill X number of Y for [some reason]" and it's a shame that a majority of 14's quests don't involve some kind of cutscene and empathizing with the NPCs over multiple quests. But I'm fine with that. As long as the meat of the story keeps me engaged, that's what I'll care about. It's not as if I've really been captivated by any 11 quests for a while, by this point, only the missions seemed interesting on their own merits. I can remember the last time 11's story really had me almost crying in my chair at the weight of it. In WoTG when you're at the castle keep, and Lilith makes her appearance. Lillisette's parents go dark side, and none other than evil-alternate-timeline you shows up. Then Lillisette fades from time and you have to run away before your Odin-dark-pacted doppelganger murders you. Now THAT is how you write some compelling shit. I want more of THAT, and as long as 14 delivers, I'll be satisfied.

Also, ever since my old computer (which could barely run the beta on low settings) died, and I replaced it with a more current model, I've been itching for an HD MMO experience. Yes, 11's visuals have aged well, but they've still aged. Textures are flat, colors are drab, the lighting engine hasn't changed since the game's release, characters only have so much range of animation, and overall, the game just doesn't run that great. Even with a top of the line graphics card and processor, I still get horrible lag spikes thanks to the archaic game engine and spaghetti code. Say what you will about anything else in 14, the game looks and runs damn beautifully. I want to be a part of that world.

And the best part is, it can only get better. The first big expansion is coming in June, and it's only the first of many. Between all the jobs (all of which I would be interested in leveling, due to the ease of the armory system and the variety of job-specific content available), guild leves, hunting registries, chocobo raising (coming soon) and more, there should be a lot to keep me occupied. In a way, I can't wait for November so I can be done with a game that will effectively be ending in terms of new things to do. I'll only be sad that a majority of my linkshell mates won't be following me. I can only hope I manage to find a good company to be a part of.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

There's a flexibility in XI that's almost entirely absent in ARR, at least from when I was last subscribed. Not a lot of "real" content to solo, or lowman, or take extra people so they can learn...designed exactly for this composition, capped at this level or needing that ilevel, etc. Like the itemization, it's just not very interesting, and not very fun to participate in for those of us with an aversion to Duty Finder.
    Unlike XI, the XIV team is very flexibile(they must've learned from the rigidity of Tanaka era FFXI where there was no transparency). The XIV system is much more flexible and powerful and there's tons of room for huge additions/changes unlike XI which they had to think of creative ways to repackage content indirectly i.e Reives are based on Campaign which is based on Besieged.

Huge boon for 14 is that's it's 90% seamlessly open world with short loading times.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    For blm gate of tartarus aftermath might compete with myrkr or at least would if relic aftermath duration wasn't such crap.
    Except for the fact you don't get aftermath when using those WS without its specific weapon

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    Except for the fact you don't get aftermath when using those WS without its specific weapon
    Ah well we were talking about some kind of combined rme thing so kind of figured aftermaths would go along

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I stopped playing at the start of 2.0. I got frustrated with being locked out of missions because certain ones required a light party to continue (you literally couldn't do the mission unless you had a tank 2DD's and a healer as it was a requirement), so I just gave up. Everything was pretty much FATE grinding for exp and I heard that endgame was nothing but dungeon crawls. Now that they have Duty Finder, I am sure it makes it easier to get things done so I will probably give the game another shot when the expansion comes out as DRK and Machinist look very interesting as jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Ah well we were talking about some kind of combined rme thing so kind of figured aftermaths would go along
    That's what I was thinking...combining all RME WS's into one weapon and using each one granted their specific aftermath. This would also require most relic WS's to get an overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Unlike XI, the XIV team is very flexibile(they must've learned from the rigidity of Tanaka era FFXI where there was no transparency). The XIV system is much more flexible and powerful and there's tons of room for huge additions/changes unlike XI which they had to think of creative ways to repackage content indirectly i.e Reives are based on Campaign which is based on Besieged.

Huge boon for 14 is that's it's 90% seamlessly open world with short loading times.
    I can't tell if this post is extremely sarcastic or extremely stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Can you lockstyle gear in 14? Most of it looks really cartoonish and WoW-ish. I'll give it to SE for making tons of unique and customizable gear but more than half of it is ugly as fuck. Was hoping I can lock Mythology gear because it looks sweet on DRG.
    Yes and no.

You have to use consumable items to "glamour" one piece of gear's appearance onto another.

Sounds simple, but SE fucked it up in high fashion as usual and made it so there are 5 different consumables depending on the ilvl of the gear across 7 different crafts depending on the repair craft (35 different items), making the whole affair far more needlessly annoying and complicated than anything as simple as a vanity system should be.

The desired result is essentially the same, the system is just so absurdly cumbersome and irritating. One definite limitation is that glamours are applied to gear directly, so if you have an outfit on job A that shares a piece of gear with job B you can't make different outfits without redo-ing the glamours on all the gear every time you swap jobs.

When I heard about the vanity system they added to XI I seriously face palmed at the fact that it was far superior to XIV's.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

my main complaint still with the game, and for people from xi considering to go to 14....

do not play it if you don't want to do all the retarded filler main mission quests as mentioned above, it's incredibly time consuming and you can do literally no endgame content without doing them. they are stale and mostly just long cutscenes you will end up skipping that have you running from point A to B constantly. that being said i did finish them and was also bored by the dungeon/LFR type grind running the same ones over and over.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ziz Gorlin
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

my favorite part was that you needed 8 people for cape westwind and almost no one ever DF'd it. Took me 3 days to get a group for it.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

God the missions/quests are cringeworthy, most of them as some of them are decent. One of the first FF games I actually skipped the cutscenes in, can't stand their dumb accents/VA either.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

14 has a few solid points.

Coil is very good IMO, especially the current raids. They require 8 people to work together to win. The problem is its 4 bosses every 6 months so they are very fun to learn and kill the first 10 times then it becomes a one night a week chore since there is a lockout. The drop system is just terrible as well. I've been doing Final Coil since its release in Oct/Nov? and still haven't seen numerous drops that are BiS for a tank.

Farming Tomes (weekly currency for gear) has gotten 1000x times easier since 2.0 with dozens of ways to obtain them with daily bonuses.

The open world is beautiful, like hang the SS on your wall good. The game also feels very FFXI to me with all the graphics. They go a little over the top but I would never call it cartoonish or WoWish.

The bad: The community doesn't touch FFXI. Some players are so bad its hard to think they are actually behind the keyboard breathing. There is also a large gap between raiders and casuals but its the people in the middle that suck the most IMO. I'd consider the game unplayable without a good static, since without one you are stuck in Partyfinder or dutyfinder for current content. Both systems work fine but be prepared to waste a ton of time with bad players or bad attitudes.
    Totally left out gear progression which is HORRIBLE. Every 3-6 months you can throw your gear out. The stats are incredibly boring and predictable.

PVP is fun, but poorly executed.

I skip every CS so I won't comment on them. (accept FCoBs Turn 12 CS which is awesome)

My FFXI LS was like a family and I am still in touch with lots of them. Most have already quit 14 or just use 14 as a chat channel.

The fishing,gathering etc is pretty cool for what it is.

If you haven't played since 2.2 or before I'd say give it a shot. There is a ton of content to do at this point and most of it is solid. (at least the frist time around)

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Itemization is probably what I dislike the most about ARR.

I played ARR for about a year; while I was loving it initially, my interest dropped around the release of Leviathan and I ended up quitting last August. I remain pretty open to returning at some point and I'll probably check in around the expansion, but I need to see them break out of the content cycle they were in first. The most interesting fights to me were the EX primals, and these felt like they were starting to be released either pretty irrelevant if you're decently geared or with terrible drop rates (Levi). Coil was fun but didn't really feel substantial enough to be the game's lone source of endgame raiding. Crystal Tower and the dungeons were fun to do once for the aesthetics, but overall the individual difficulty in them was really low and it made spamming them for tokens and upgrade items boring. Hunts were terrible, the kind of stupid boring non-content mmos have that make you feel like you should be doing it anyway because of how efficient it is. And the PVP was fun, far better than I was expecting out of them, but I didn't trust them to keep it properly supported.

This is probably overly critical because the game's solid, but I really felt like the content updates, while regular, were in a total rut.