Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 76 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast
    Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I was actually going thru MMM recently, they really dropped a good idea there. The maze thing was pretty cool to fit stuff and see different combo's.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by urat View Post
    Everyone always forgets the biggest flop of an event from that era, so bad most people didnt touch it outside of the first couple weeks.

moblin maze mongers
    Was like months on my server before you could enter that within any real timeframe. It was spammed to fuck and back, especially for leveling. Was fantastic really, but they never expanded on it or made certain other maze types more relevant or helpful (like the crafting ones, skillup procs were rare and random).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah same here MMM was packed so hard you couldn't get in for awhile. It was so far from flopping I can't believe it flopped on any server. Sounds more like just some people didn't do it and assumed no one else did. But was great for xping, took quite awhile to explore and figure out. Some great for the time items came from there. Heck the koggles I got won me some 75 nzyle I would've otherwise lost. The nm system of spawning them and with different strengths/weaknesses and learning all that was fun as heck. If anything I'd say MMM was the biggest success from that time period to the point where it still can have some minor relevance today

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Was it really that crowded, or did the server only support a handful of instances?

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    WotG was pretty terrible overall. The zones it added were hardly used for anything, they were even awkward for simply leveling. They frequently mixed together low-mid level mobs with 65-75 stuff that aggros for some bizarre reason. The endgame content was lame and the vast majority of the player base never touched any of it. It really amounted to campaign (yuck), and missions with a weak story (that took how many years to finish?). The jobs it added were terrible for a long time as well, remember scholar before they revamped it?

I think SoA would have been alright if they didn't implement the ilvl system along side it. Some of the events were pretty decent by FFXI standards, like delve, wkr, and incursion.
    Delve I think is FFXI's crowning event because it brought together what players had been screaming for:
    • points to buy drops
    • weakness targeting based system
    • ability to use flexible setups

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Was it really that crowded, or did the server only support a handful of instances?
    A bit of both. Back when I was doing it the area was pretty full of people of doing it and out of all the times I've had problems getting into instanced things the only one that has come even close to MMM was plucking wings the first couple of times it was unlocked for obvious reasons

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

WotG was more of a supplement expansion than a major expansion. Kind of like CoP, RotZ, etc. ToAU was the first expansion to add a new hub area with lots of new stuff to do.

Around half of ToAU's content was released after WotG was released (Nyzul Isle, ZNM, Mythic Quest line, etc). So to be fair, WotG wasn't really designed to replace ToAU since they were still adding ToAU stuff after WotG came out.

WotG was good. I enjoyed it. It certainly added more than CoP (for example). Limbus was a boring event (I enjoy most events but Limbus was one of the most boring events in FFXI), and Sea only really dropped a few accessories. CoP had some new NMs to go for though (Swift Belt and Voyager Sallet + Jaeger Rings were the popular ones).

Fiat Lux was well done too. While most servers only seen it once, it was neat to see servers do the event together.

ToAU probably had more varied content but I still consider SoA era to be superior to WotG (ToAU) era.

Delve is well designed. It's simple but it is probably one of the few instances of an end game event (in FFXI) that is somewhat comparable to other end game stuff from other MMOs. It was one of the first cases where you needed to min/max, think about setups, and you had a time limit to complete it. Neo Nyzul Isle required some strategy and min/max but it was mostly RNG. Legion was okay but Delve was a step ahead.

SoA is one of the first cases (in any MMO I played) of offering you a variety ways of getting gear. If you like RNG, Skirmish gear is the way to go. If you don't want RNG but want to slowly rank up gear, Airlixir gear (for example).

In terms of world content, Besieged was horrible. It was an annoyance with not much reward (30-60 mins of fighting for 1k exp). Outside of Besieged, ToAU wins in terms of variety events and areas.

IMO, SoA wins in variety of characters and lore, and better sense of progression (with rewards). I personally like the introduction of item levels in SoA. SoA is a good mix of horizontal and vertical progression (once Delve was released, item level 119 was introduced right away but each update only added more variety of ways to get to item level 119 instead of increasing the item level more).

And finally I enjoy Wildskeeper Reives. A good version of PUG (or LFR) content that actually requires some thought and strategy. Had lots of fun making parties and gathering 70+ people through Yorcia to fight Yumcax for 12-36 hours. Usually people wipe for a few hours (some people delevel and lose access to all their item level gear) before realizing it's time to actually start doing COR rotations, setting up Tank rotations, etc. It's a really well done anyone can join at any time PUG / LFR event (also with a cost too, farming up Bayld means that people won't just go in and leave whenever).

WKR is also one of the few times JP, NA, and EU work together. I remember in a 12 hour Yumcax battle, there were moments where some guy gave pep talks to everyone, or some JP warped out to try to gather people, etc. Or some person was making a bunch of Holy Waters in the middle of fight and distributing it to everyone.

The best is also when one guy manages to get 200+ people killed (wiping to Yumcax, 200 people get up and raise in a corner and wait for weakness to wears off, some guy gets aggro and gets everyone killed again).

Definitely one of the more entertaining moments of FFXI for me.

WKR is probably the best in actually getting people to work together (compared to WotG's campaign battles where it was a game of who could drag the most mobs to some corner or who can not bother curing or raising people the most) and lore wise it did a good job at making the Naakuals seem threatening (along side their Delve counterparts).

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

In terms of world content, Besieged was horrible. It was an annoyance with not much reward (30-60 mins of fighting for 1k exp). Outside of Besieged, ToAU wins in terms of variety events and areas.
    For me, besieged was great for skilling up magic at almost any level. I made a macro rotating dia/bio/stone to get those to cap. Enhancing sucked though. Trying to cast protect on the generals, and somebody comes along with a protect iv I couldn't overwrite.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i kinda thought that was more of a downside of to besieged. the initial idea is that we're here to defend Aht Urhgan from siege, but it became more of a skill up / free exp / recover my 2hr fest.. so it kinda lost its purpose. People weren't doing Besieged simply to protect the city and the benefits of having AC (except maybe Siren) and that affected the balance of the content. it was popular for the wrong reasons. I rather prefer how it is now. It gives a hefty amount if IS which i feel is worth the time spent in there. And i also prefer that there are better places/ways to skill up combat and magic skills now.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by urat View Post
    Everyone always forgets the biggest flop of an event from that era, so bad most people didnt touch it outside of the first couple weeks.

moblin maze mongers
    Fuck you, MMM at its launch was the best because it cockblocked people from being able to enter sandworm after doomvoid and they were forced to kill it, 10/10 best content design by far. I only wish they continued to use shared zone instances w/e shit tier system they had been using at the time with meelbe burrows to provide even further enjoyment with it. Also meebles was probably my fav casual content that was ever released, still upset that rolanberry never got put out there even though it was heavily hinted back at the time that it would be.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Undead besieged was always fun, kiting all of the NMs ontop of each other and AoEing charmed players. I single handedly lost the AC a bunch of times lol.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I was pretty sure ANNM was the real flop

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Fuck you, MMM at its launch was the best because it cockblocked people from being able to enter sandworm after doomvoid and they were forced to kill it, 10/10 best content design by far. I only wish they continued to use shared zone instances w/e shit tier system they had been using at the time with meelbe burrows to provide even further enjoyment with it. Also meebles was probably my fav casual content that was ever released, still upset that rolanberry never got put out there even though it was heavily hinted back at the time that it would be.
    there is so much in the game they never really catered to fully or droped dead. MMM, colloseum whole evolith system, pankration, ballista (never got new zones or adjustments), brenner, now monstrosity, meebles as you said list goes on. And then there was the biggest disapointment ever: WoE. the devs should have cleaned all the useless stuff up when they raised the cap during abyssea. get rid of all the trash stuff or renew it in a good way.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Weren't SCNMs quite the flop also? Outside of a couple of the drops I didn't recall anything special from it.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Weren't SCNMs quite the flop also? Outside of a couple of the drops I didn't recall anything special from it.
    So what everyone is saying, outside a few drops from every event in WoTG all events where a flop? That does not sound like FF11 at all!

Sarcasm aside, that is what FF11 was all about for every event. The only event I can think of when it came out that almost Evey item was relevant was sky when it first came out.

You could say salvage too I guess somewhat. the monk set was BIS. Still for the most part items from past days could be mixed and matched for nearly the same DPs.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I'd consider events/content that barely anyone bothered to do a flop, which yes is pretty much all of wotg.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Yes, except that SCNMs were almost uniformly terrible unless the RNG rolled high on every single stat from an augmented piece. The one exception would be the H2H weapon that could get Delay- on it (which was implemented wrong).

Banned.

BG Level

I'd say the biggest flop was the evolith system

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Yes, except that SCNMs were almost uniformly terrible unless the RNG rolled high on every single stat from an augmented piece. The one exception would be the H2H weapon that could get Delay- on it (which was implemented wrong).

SCNM were beastman strongholds, I don't recall any augments, but I could be wrong. I spent an entire week off work farming the turtle head for my Ranger.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Ca...rious_Monsters

I thought it was a solid system since you had to farm several very hard NMs. Each one had some sort of unique strategy. Then you did the BC fight which again wasn't a lay up.

The problem with SCNMs was the problem a lot of these events had: the vast majority of the rewards were either garbage or extremely niche/minor.

Out of all the SCNMs the only 2 drops that were truly useful were the Stone Mufflers and the RNG helm (both from Yagudo).