BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 ... LastLast
    Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by calinz View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I miss Vana'diel but not enough to start over on a new character.

I am quite curious how they intend to monetize this new XI though. If the original XI remains a subscription-based MMO, yet the Reboot contains the exact same storyline and is free2play, why would people who have not experienced XI subscribe to the original?? And consequently, why run 2 MMOs with the same basic premise? My theory is they hope to convert most of their remaining JP population over to the mobile game and finally justify shutting down old FFXI, coz "lol non-JP players".
    that wont work because they said that char data cant be transported over. FFxi mobile is basicly a new game / remake. It will use the same story but they prolly will alter/enrich it with additional stuff. I doubt the game will be even closely the same gameplay wise as FF11. on release the story up to and with chains of promathia will be implemented (according to last years anouncement. The rest will follow as addon. They said its also possible that a total new expansion could be released even if Ff11 didnt have it

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by calinz View Post
    I am quite curious how they intend to monetize this new XI though. If the original XI remains a subscription-based MMO, yet the Reboot contains the exact same storyline and is free2play, why would people who have not experienced XI subscribe to the original?? And consequently, why run 2 MMOs with the same basic premise? My theory is they hope to convert most of their remaining JP population over to the mobile game and finally justify shutting down old FFXI, coz "lol non-JP players".
    Last I'd seen, the reboot was going to start over with the base + Zilart like the NA PC launch, with later jobs/expansions/etc getting released down the road. So, in theory, someone might really like what they see on mobile and seek out the PC version so they can power through stuff.

More likely, the mobile version has a potential customer base anywhere from hundreds of thousands to tens of millions, few of which could or would consider playing the original.

Meanwhile, the PC version just gets to keep existing until the subscriber base falls to the point it's not profitable.

Main thing, to me, is that because of this, they'll have some version of the game that's Unreal Engine based, and could (theoretically) be more readily ported and modified. Maybe they could more readily trim it down to an offline/coop type experience that more would see as a "legit" Final Fantasy entry, for example.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Reason i hate this is a lot of us were hoping and even suggesting on OF that they make PC a FTP with cash shop once updates ended, and instead they're doing the same thing but on mobile. Not only will that kill off the legit version of the game faster for those of us not wanting to start over and on a damn P2W mobile, but a cash shop could've been done on PC for those who were loyal to the game. Now it won't ever be because....nexxon doesn't want that

SE are truly turning out to be whores with the way they're handling this

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Yeah I don't see how any of it will benefit the PC version sadly. Seems it will be phased out slowly but I'll stay optimistic and hope they keep both versions going and maybe people from mobile will wanna try the PC version. I think they should lower the monthly fee though at that point.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I suspect one of the reasons they haven't merged servers post-console is that they don't want to have to answer the question about lowering the monthly fee due to the use of less resources.

I also suspect it's totally possible to share character data via an API that nexon could use, but that would require them to create (or expose) the API and then get nexon to use it, both of which have time/money costs associated.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

And I guess exposing more about the game than necessary? May be a security concern for them.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    I suspect one of the reasons they haven't merged servers post-console is that they don't want to have to answer the question about lowering the monthly fee due to the use of less resources.

I also suspect it's totally possible to share character data via an API that nexon could use, but that would require them to create (or expose) the API and then get nexon to use it, both of which have time/money costs associated.
    they're already lying about the monthly fee continuing so that servers stay up longer. Servers are dirt cheap, F2P would inject life into the game as casuals would come back, and even if it did run in the red slightly, it'd be nice if something like 14 supported 11 instead of the other around for once

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

If we take a good look back at the Project Vanadiel announcements it would have been pretty clear that the only thing that actually benefitted the PC version from the announcements was Rhapsodies. Everything else was mobile only. The only thing they didn't specifically say (back then) was porting playable data over, but we now know that's not going to happen for sure, and quite reasonably so because it's so much easier and better (both in a general business sense and profits wise) to start from scratch given how radically different its going to be.. plus it's being developed by an entity that is both external and foreign.. So data protection laws would apply.

Like if you think about it, nobody expected to be able to carry over a save from FFX to FFX HD (and you technically could) but it kinda defeats the purpose of having a remake to play through again. It's also a messy endeavour considering how old FFXIs data is and how much more info each character has. ARR did data transfer but it also restricted the new game from doing quite a lot of things because of it (like ditching the class>job thing for those that already existed)

So like someone else said above, the PC version gets pushed to the back but gets to exist so long as it remains profitable.
    In the Long run.. Perhaps the PC version might benefit (if it is still around) from renewed interest by virtue of the mobile version penetrating new markets and people are interested to see what the original game which the mobile is modelled on really looks like.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

<Apologies for the bump> It's now been over two years since the 'grand' announcement. FFXI Mobile has yet to materialize and no one seems to talk about Grandmasters anymore. FFXI also continues to get monthly content patches, more than even FFXIV gets. SE has managed to extend Ambuscade and Omen for quite some time and all signs point to further upgrades to the system in the near future. Man, who would have thought we would be here in two years still enjoying new content in the game.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

FF11 is like your ugly old grandma that just refuses to die and you still love her very much.

FF14 is like some young hot blonde that turns out to be pretty obviously dumb after you got over the honeymoon phase.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I'd say ffxi is more like your ex wife. You have a really colorful history, still pay child support, and on drunk nights call her up trying to relive the glory days, only to find out its nothing like you remembered.

ffxiv is the rebound after the divorce. You just picked her up to piss off your ex because she's hot and young, got great tits and legs to die for. But seriously lacking any real content.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170330000578#cb

According to this article from last month, XI mobile is still in active development. Nothing beyond that was mentioned. Still been nearly a year since any progress was shown.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170330000578#cb

According to this article from last month, XI mobile is still in active development. Nothing beyond that was mentioned. Still been nearly a year since any progress was shown.
    Oh I know it's still coming but the lack of updates on it have been rather surprising. I am hopeful FFXI is going to get some type of love during the 30th anniversary.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

30th anniversary is probably why we haven't heard anything.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    30th anniversary is probably why we haven't heard anything.
    We heard something about 30th anniversary?

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

FF boss cup noodles lol.

I posted an update abou mobile just last month here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/commen..._faq_mar_2017/

and we can probably expect an update about it later this month too.

As for Grandmasters, it's actually gonna get a ver2.0 revamp cos well.. poor game design/planning

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    <Apologies for the bump> It's now been over two years since the 'grand' announcement. FFXI Mobile has yet to materialize and no one seems to talk about Grandmasters anymore. FFXI also continues to get monthly content patches, more than even FFXIV gets. SE has managed to extend Ambuscade and Omen for quite some time and all signs point to further upgrades to the system in the near future. Man, who would have thought we would be here in two years still enjoying new content in the game.
    In which alternate universe is this happening? Even if you add up 3 months of XI updates you don't come close to a XIV patch. XI is on life support, they're just waiting for the mobile version to officially launch and then it'll be over.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

The reality where most patches are 20 minutes of story and hours of running old content for 3 months of waiting. Patches have taken a real nose dive as far as long form content and engagement. Most of 14's patches feel like maintenance mode than 11's do at times.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Hioki View Post
    The reality where most patches are 20 minutes of story and hours of running old content for 3 months of waiting. Patches have taken a real nose dive as far as long form content and engagement. Most of 14's patches feel like maintenance mode than 11's do at times.
    Yeah that's what I was referring to. I find FFXI content is far more lasting and engaging, and even more rewarding than the FFXIV raids and battles.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    In which alternate universe is this happening? Even if you add up 3 months of XI updates you don't come close to a XIV patch. XI is on life support, they're just waiting for the mobile version to officially launch and then it'll be over.
    Well...I'm looking at XIV updates and like....

There's no substance to any of them because the main updates that produces any lasting content are the raid contents, which is every 6 months, then alliance based content sprinkled in between which purely serves as a means to an end for the lazy playerbase that won't touch said raid content because you "need a static oh noez." Oh also said updates that introduce content requiring you to run EVERY old content instead of making new content. People very obviously hate on XI and praise XIV, but XIV is literally doing the bare minimum - SE doesn't even hide it, read some of the investor reports and President statements.

XIV's updates are just a different format but there's not much to them. XI's monthly updates aren't continually introducing new content concepts every months but neither is XIV's, so I'm not sure what reality you're living in, but "not coming close to a XIV patch" is a good thing, because it means I'll actually have something to do and strive for beyond bragging rights.

But yeah considering Nexon is heading up the mobile project we more than likely won't hear anything. We didn't hear shit about MS2 for the longest other than it existed and will be released lol.