Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Invites in RoV? Like, are you a returning player?

If you are a returning player and trying to gear up and see what's up with 119+ content then part of the issue is that Ambuscade is 110% not for you. There's the universal truth that randoms are bad, but yeah, if this applies to you that's probably part of why you had a bad time.
    Well like i saw a shout for Aeonics LS, and the reqs were steep enough i thought they might have a chance. I can farm REM on my own and made decent progress, but ambuscade does have solid gear that should be easier to gain than reisenjima, isn't that the point? I did grind out a set on my own last time i returned. Sadly it wasn't the month for the job set i really could use. When i came back this time (several months later) i found the PUGs for anything N or above to be much worse for whatever reason, and my apatite for grinding all day below that, fighting over trash mobs and ques is now gone

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    I never really got why people who wanted to come back went to a private server for any other reason than to not pay $13/month.

You don't like that the game went to lv99 and abyssea exists and what is Omen?! You want to enjoy the nostalgia of leveling to 75 the hard way? You want to do everything at 75? With very few exceptions, you can do all of this right now in game as much as you like. Don't do LBs above 75, don't go to Abyssea, etc.

Oh leveling by yourself is boring and inefficient and you want to reproduce the shocking ineptitude that all of us spent years mired in? Don't worry! Trusts are authentically bad in ways that will make you feel like you are back in Garlaige Citadel falling down holes. Sure, they'll keep you alive and you'll have a nice full EXP party, but every now and then one of them will be like "you know what would be great? I just learned this new AoE weaponskill I'm gonna try it out right here without telling you". Wow. Just like old times. I feel like it's 2007 all over again.

Want to level your RDM/NIN and gear it out in the toppest of lv75 gear to remind yourself of a time before you had to pay bills and the total sum of your worth was measured by how much you were willing to wake up at 3:30AM for Nid? Sorry, no HNM LS drama to be had, but lucky for you, you can buy pops and go pop and fight Nidhogg at 75 with your trusts all you want (we all know he was never actually hard and we were just bad, you can probably do this). Want to run around in circles for 2 hours soloing Genbu? Same thing.

Worried you won't have anyone to talk to? Join any LS you want. Pick a server that still has people you know on it (almost impossible to not happen these days unless you have no friends at all) and just join their LS. Nobody runs a "EVERY FUCKING MEMBER OF MY LINKSHELL BETTER BE IN VALKURM DUNES AT 8PM FOR DYNA OR IM KICKING THEM" LS anymore. Nobody will care.

Snark aside, absent the monthly cost, there really aren't great reasons to go to a private server if you want to play. The amount of tiered QoL stuff they added for < 99 means you can choose the level of self-imposed autistic grinding that is right for you, AND there are free downloads / free campaign periods.
    There's dynamis runs at least on private servers, can't do that with trusts and the mob layout is diff. I imagine a few fights like Vrtra and B2 fall in this category also. For whatever reason (probably unwilling to pay the fee), i've only seen private servers that had full alliance of 75s

SE could at least add an everquest option of 'classic' server or a couple weeks here and there

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Pretty much agree 100% with Sath.

i see no reason to play on a private server unless i simply can't afford the monthly. Everything else about it is inferior. Nostalgic maybe but inferior all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by steellord View Post
    There's dynamis runs at least on private servers, can't do that with trusts and the mob layout is diff. I imagine a few fights like Vrtra and B2 fall in this category also.
    Lets be completely honest here. Theres no point doing Dynamis if theres nothing to push you to need to be better than the rest. One of things about private servers is theres no content progression to look forward to. You can probably clear everything in the game without anything from Dynamis (assuming they put in the drops) and theres no point investing so much time in a free game where even your epeen is worthless.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    Knock old exp parties all you want I be most people have 3 or 4 friends that we knew for years that they met killing colibri over and over. That being said fuck the old way of exping.
    I've been playing BDO a lot since December and it's really has me itching to go back to XI. I spent maybe 10-15 hours getting 1-56 on my Witch and 30-40 hours going 56-58 with the awakening (it's a complete overhaul/separate skillset for the class which is much stronger.) Sitting in discord chatting or putting on a decent playlist and going fucking ham on the mob grind has been almost therapeutic. It has a positive feedback loop because the more you grind, the more money you make, and the more you invest in your gear, the faster you can clear mobs or sustain at a harder camp. There's something about struggling at a spot, earning some upgrades and instead of killing a pack of mobs in 2-3 skills you can delete entire packs of 8-10 with 1 skill.

I was stuck playing mostly quest centric MMOs there for a while and something like BDO was a breath of fresh air. BDO and XI have their problems, but WoW/FFXIV are lacking a sense of accomplishment even for casual play. If I grind in BDO for an hour I can usually make 8-10 mil silver and if i'm lucky I might get a cash drop worth 20-30million, versus doing a coinflip roulette/24man/NM Alex and get a random piece of gear that barely increases my ilvl or shows a noticeable increase in damage.

The thing that keeps me from resubbing to XI is that it's so clunky. I'd need to remake all my macros, figure out what gear I have and what's usable, what my goals are ingame, how the new meta works. Not to mention going back to playing on a controller or using the num pad on my keyboard, that alone would be hard now that i'm so used to WASD and mouse turning.

Sorry for the mini-rant. I guess I need to find a support group for former XI players. Everyone I know is tired of fuck of hearing me talk about XI.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I get what your saying. Having the same thing happen to me doing salvage 5-6 times a day with Bhaflau basically being on muscle memory.

Campaign
    BG Level

BDO is such an awesome game, but the end game/cooperative experience is kinda, I dunno, not particularly compelling or interesting, especially if you don't like PVP.
    I see it more as an incredible single player MMO, would've been awesome if BDO were an offline single player Open world RPG, if you ask me.
    The open world BDO offers is one of the best I've ever seen in an RPG in terms of vastness and variety. Graphics too are pretty awesome (if only you could remove the intense stuttering and pop-in =/ )

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

BDO is make your own fun, it is a sandbox after all. Doesn't really appeal to people who need a constant quest-driven goal or something like that but it has a lot of appeal for people like me who like gear and character progression as that is almost neverending between combat and life skills. They have a skill just for leveling up your proficiency at sailing your boat (which takes a lot of time/commitment to build plank by plank too). Honestly it's all the little details and QoL things crammed in that make it great for me. Your character fucking sweats in the desert!

That's one of my biggest issues with XIV (and to an extent, XI) though: gear and character progression is either meaningless (in the case of XIV) or it doesn't take much effort to max your character out (mostly XIV, to an extent XI these days outside of playing stone roulette). Once I finished my Aeonic weapon and mythic weapon goals, what else really was there for me to achieve? AF reforge v2? Once a day Omen content isn't a very compelling reason for me to pay a sub fee really. It's more understandable with XI though since there seems to now be a definite end game/end point to character progression that we are unlikely to pass, but we'll see if they have any surprises this year.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    Pretty much agree 100% with Sath.

i see no reason to play on a private server unless i simply can't afford the monthly. Everything else about it is inferior. Nostalgic maybe but inferior all the same.

Lets be completely honest here. Theres no point doing Dynamis if theres nothing to push you to need to be better than the rest. One of things about private servers is theres no content progression to look forward to. You can probably clear everything in the game without anything from Dynamis (assuming they put in the drops) and theres no point investing so much time in a free game where even your epeen is worthless.
    The point is one that someone who is hooked on the endless gear progression model of MMOs would miss - reliving the experience of death fests from a single pull, or aggroing the windurst death house, or whatever. Of course it's about nostalgia, i never claimed otherwise

Tons and tons of weekend warrior types quit dynamis just as soon as the fun of those death fests and finally clearing the zones wore off, or groups started improving to the point the challenge wore off. They were never in it for the lousy drop rate (mostly) sidegrades, or farming for 2 years for 1 person's relic. To those people, a private server with the old 75 cap is very appealing

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Sooo XIV is already resorting to free login campaigns? The grass cant be that green on the other side.

Campaign
    BG Level

Not sure that's the right parameter to be using to judge that. They've been having free logins for quite a while. Also I think that now, just like WoW, you can play without a monthly license as long as your level doesn't go above something (level 30?)

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I dont think they're having free login periods because shits going well and they just want to reward their paying playerbase with 3 days of free XIV (which wont even be free for them).

I only noticed because I got an email about it.

It's called Marketing, not "Haha, the game is dying!"

XI being super slow about the concept before the Return to Vana'diel campaigns isn't really indicative of the game's strength prior. As well, SE was so terribad about their RMT management that they even wound up scrapping the free trial--something other subscription-based MMOs do, even though the sub model itself is on the decline relative to F2P options/competition.

Either way, XIV's also got their expansion coming up. Whether it draws in fresh meat or returnees, it's not a move of desperation.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Sooo XIV is already resorting to free login campaigns? The grass cant be that green on the other side.
    They're just trying to increase their market share with a marketing blitz right before Stormblood's launch. Expansion launches are the best windows of opportunity to pull people into the game because existing players also return and there's a surge in player activity and overall sense of newness of something to be offered

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I dont recall there being any free login campaigns at the release of CoP, Toau, WotG, the 3 shitty Addons, Abyssea...etc. They had Return to Vanadiel Campaigns, but none were accompanied with any free play time.

Campaign
    BG Level

I dont think they're having free login periods because shits going well
    The fact they're having free login periods doesn't mean anything tbf. They've been there in WoW for the longest time and they've been doing them in FFXIV or quite a long time as well, it's not something they had to resort to lately because they're despered, as you made it look like (or did I misunderstood?)
    If anything it's a way to get people who played and dropped the game involved again and pay the monthly fee again, if only for a little while.
    Judging by how many MMO titles have been doing this and for how long, you'd be leaning to think it's a somewhat useful instrument for them.
    But then again it's not like we're stakeholders or anything and we have detailed reports/data on how good/bad things are doing.
    I was just warning you against using this single fact alone as a way to measure how bad FFXIV is doing. Because really, that thing alone doesn't really mean anything by itself.

It's just marketing really

Campaign
    BG Level

I dont recall there being any free login campaigns at the release of CoP, Toau, WotG, the 3 shitty Addons, Abyssea...etc. They had Return to Vanadiel Campaigns, but none were accompanied with any free play time.
    Yeah, FFXI never did it until the last 2 years, but FFXIV has been doing them for ages really, pretty much forever since after the release of A Realm Reborn.
    WoW has been doing them for even longer and I wouldn't really call WoW a "dying game", given how well Legion proved to be in terms of subscribers.

It's just marketing, an attempt to get old players hooked up on the game again. They usually release free periods before a big patch or an expansion or a big event or something.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

XIV's been doing it ever since a month after the Gold Saucer got added to my recollection, and then has them roughly a couple months after each major update. It isn't a new thing at all for it.
    Spoiler: show
    Which honestly makes it really easy to just pay for the expansion to enjoy that for a month, and then ride the free login periods to catch up on MSQ content from each update afterwards

And as mentioned, it's primarily a marketing thing to get it back into people's minds, advertising itself to former subscribers. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future they allow free trial players to have access to all of 2.0 just to keep the leveling queues alive between relic quest grinds.

I do wish XI would have them more frequently, as they've given me an excuse to poke my head back in, stare at my dusty stash of gil, and dick about on BLU for a bit working on Rhapsody/Adoulin missions.