BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
    Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

only comfort we have is that the scheduled press conference is only a day away. if it were a week the wait would have been excruciating

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

That spanish email, or whatever it is, uses the words "most likely to be..." when refering to the press conference, so nothing more than speculation.

Skimmed through all the hateful messages, since they all seem rather personal, but what i take of all this is a general feeling of un-easiness, hell, im ominous about all this, i really really hope its an expansion or something and not the begining of the end for content.

Real question since i cant clock, it is now 4:40PM on a wednesday in Australia, how much longer til the announcement?

Apologies in advance for my english, im on my phone and cant calculate the time of it... /blush.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

from this post, 25hr and 10min

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Thank you kindly, sir, very much appreciated.

I'll post info as I hear from the stream, although my hearing Japanese is spotty. I have JP friends who will fill me in as it goes, so if someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll throw it up here.

Campaign
    BG Level

I'm sure even without getting all the details because of the language barriers, if there's big announcement coming they'll have some video/slides and we'll be able to grasp something out of them regardless.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If they announce they're retooling POL into just a login/update client so it doesn't take 2 minutes to start playing FFXI I'll come back despite all the blatant cheating happening.

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Ironically SE could alleviate those crowding issues by adjusting mobs, instead of filling the Gates areas with shitty mobs like Umbrils and Dullahans and Craklaws and Efts, they could instead put more Raptors or Bats or shit like that
    Dho Gates umbrils aren't bad for the mages, PLD's, or RUN's with an MAB setup. It's not hard to hit 4k or 5k Seraph Strikes against them and helixes bury them fast. Also, craklaws aren't that bad either. You can run from all their moves except for the one that gives ATK/M.ATK down. Believe it or not, my pet peeve for soloing CP in Dho Gates is Sonic Boom which is NOT subject to the one-minute duration cap. If anything, I'd like to see less camps of Velkk (dispel and weapon encumbrance). I agree about efts though. I dislike the linking behavior when I'm using a greatsword and I don't like how hard they hit compared to other enemies in the area.

Campaign
    BG Level

I don't see just why they couldn't create more camps like the bat one, or more viable camps in general with a good amount of mobs that doesn't force you to pull from miles away once you clear the room.
    With mobs that do not have retarded TP moves maybe, or dispels, etc.

Really, why can't there be more camps like that? Would it be so wrong to have 2 or 3 more? Would it break the balance of the universe? I'm not getting it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I don't see them shutting it down so soon after having monthly updates. Now they may go back to quarterly or biennial, but I think there would have to be no content added for a while before they shut it down. However, it is odd that this is happening and we haven't seen the March update yet.

If they do call it quits I hope we get a timeline so I can finish some of the things I've been working on. Would be a shame not to be able to complete some things.

Im calling it now:

FFXI: a vanadiel reborn. totally remade with ffxiv or better graphics, all the content revamped and modernized, but catering to a more hardcore audience to avoid poaching on ffxiv territory, and a two for one pricing if you have subscriptions in both.

/dream end

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    I've criticized the game, I've disliked decisions they have done with the game and have expressed my opinion just like others.
    In all fairness, he has done this a lot on YouTube comments especially with regard to Delve being made scalable. My old EG shell swore I was an SE employee because of how well I could predict and interpret decisions. (This came to a head when I explained why Cloudsplitter was not likely to change much after the big WS update and why I claimed it was "working as intended".)

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    I don't see just why they couldn't create more camps like the bat one, or more viable camps in general with a good amount of mobs that doesn't force you to pull from miles away once you clear the room.
    With mobs that do not have retarded TP moves maybe, or dispels, etc.

Really, why can't there be more camps like that? Would it be so wrong to have 2 or 3 more? Would it break the balance of the universe? I'm not getting it.
    I'd rather see a mechanism similar to how Abyssea levels change but with respawn times instead of EXP/CP chain growth or level growth. This way, a minimum of moving is needed and you can focus on slaying as many foes as possible. As far as dispels go, SE believes that single dispels are a mild annoyance at best, that multiple dispels are about as bad as potent paralysis or zombie status, and that full dispels are almost but not on par with weakness or doom. I do not expect them to reconsider their usage of dispels any time soon.

Campaign
    BG Level

Your idea of dynamic respawn rates is cool but that's not even the issue. I'll gladly take limited number of monsters or chainbreaks etc.
    The problem is having viable camps AS GOOD as the bat one.

Bat one is fantastic. Mobs do not have dangerous moves, they don't require a plethora of erase/-na, they don't overwrite your buffs (Slow>Haste) etc etc.
    Why can't there be more camps like those?

Instead we have camps full of Elementals that pop and pwn your group, Efts with annoying dispelling moves, other mobs with paralyzega or silencega moves, final sting, dangerous AoE with multiple debuffs (Umbrils), or just plain annoying TP moves (Dullahans). I could go on forward ages, there's way too many mobs with annoying TP moves that make them annoying to XP on.
    The Bat camp is simply perfect, why can't there be more camps like that?

If they're gonna merge serves it's gonna be fun waiting for that camp to be free to host your party...

edit:
    Typo, fixed "bad" into "bat"

Shirai

To get into this just for a bit:

Expectations as posted yesterday on FFXIAH:
    - Server merges
    - Termination of PS2 support
    - Some form of a roadmap for the upcoming 12 months.

Hopes:
    - Termination of PS2 support and following that; Upgrades to the game itself directly tied to the PS2 memory limitations like gear/monster models, GUI and the current limitations on the amount of spells and abilities we can have.
    - Upping of the bandwith cap between server and client from Dial up to ~ISDN for better loading times between zones and inventory. While I am a firm believer that some form of cap needs to stay in place, with both the declined playerbase as well as the changes of the Internet itself over the last decade it should be possible go higher than just Dial up speeds.
    - Openly allowing the use of certain third party tools.

Not completely pushing the following to the realm of impossibilities:
    - The end of FFXI.

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Your idea of dynamic respawn rates is cool but that's not even the issue. I'll gladly take limited number of monsters or chainbreaks etc.
    The problem is having viable camps AS GOOD as the bad one.

Bat one is fantastic. Mobs do not have dangerous moves, they don't require a plethora of erase/-na, they don't overwrite your buffs (Slow>Haste) etc etc.
    Why can't there be more camps like those?

Instead we have camps full of Elementals that pop and pwn your group, Efts with annoying dispelling moves, other mobs with paralyzega or silencega moves, final sting, dangerous AoE with multiple debuffs (Umbrils), or just plain annoying TP moves (Dullahans). I could go on forward ages, there's way too many mobs with annoying TP moves that make them annoying to XP on.
    The Bat camp is simply perfect, why can't there be more camps like that?

If they're gonna merge serves it's gonna be fun waiting for that camp to be free to host your party...
    Are these single bats or bat swarms and in what zone? The swarms in Dho Gates have one redeeming quality and that is their interspersion with lower-level Velkk and proximity to efts allow you to quickly raise your CP chains before slowing down at higher degrees. Also the one thing I love about umbril camps as soloing PLD or SCH is this:

No one, and I mean, NO ONE, will EVER compete with me for umbrils.

But in all seriousness, where are the dullahan camps? I want to see how weak they are to breath and light damage. (By the way, umbrils take double breath and light damage.)

Banned.

BG Level

Maybe the announcement is FFXI for New 3DS!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Personally, I'd love some more Dullahan camps... preferably ones with a lot more mobs. <,<

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiran View Post
    Are these single bats or bat swarms and in what zone? The swarms in Dho Gates have one redeeming quality and that is their interspersion with lower-level Velkk and proximity to efts allow you to quickly raise your CP chains before slowing down at higher degrees. Also the one thing I love about umbril camps as soloing PLD or SCH is this:

No one, and I mean, NO ONE, will EVER compete with me for umbrils.

But in all seriousness, where are the dullahan camps? I want to see how weak they are to breath and light damage. (By the way, umbrils take double breath and light damage.)
    Good thing we're on different servers. Cause I'd be in your umbril camps. lol.

I don't think Umbrils are weak to breath dmg specifically, just Light, Fire, and Earth dmg of any type. Be it nukes, Atonement, or Enlight. Anything of those elements does extra dmg to Umbrils.

Also, there are at least a few Dullahans in each of the "gates" zones second map. There's also a few camps in Ra'kaznar and Inner court.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiran View Post
    Are these single bats or bat swarms and in what zone?
    Does it matter the type of the bat?
    It's single big bats. Weak to piercing (making Rudra even better), they aggro sound but do not link.
    They don't use dangerous moves and the only debuff they give is Eva- which you can basically ignore.
    It's a famous and particularly sought after camp in Woh Gates map#2. The only problem is that if you have a really good group (500k cp/hr+) then you run out of mobs to kill. But as I mentioned before I don't really care for that, I'l gladly take other camps with similar issues if I could get some bloody other camps as good as this one!
    There's a reason if it's always full of people and others in queue waiting for a group to leave to take it over immediately.

Compared to the old camps in Woh Gates map#1 these bats do not have particularly steep requirements (on your accuracy, mostly) making it a viable camp for a wide range of setups, even with loljobs.
    Also the fact that they do not give annoying debuffs and do not have annoying TP moves, makes it viable to perfectly mainheal a full party even with jobs not normally suited for mainhealing.
    (I've mainhealed there with BRD/WHM, GEO/RDM, SMN/RDM, and I'm not a particularly skilled player. When I was there on SCH I could basically regen5 and afk...)

Personally as a BRD I cannot stand stuff that dispels.
    It fucks up with my songs (when a song gets dispelled I need 1) to see it or other people to tell me, which never happens, 2) to re-do fake song and then overwrite it with real song) and especially with NiTro and Clarion Call.
    I refuse to play BRD in such circumstances, I can't stand it anymore.

But in all seriousness, where are the dullahan camps?
    Other than in Inner Ra'kaz, there's a load of Dullahans in Sih Gates map#2 (South/South east, directly from the beam) and Woh Gates map#2 (kinda SE of the map, together with Hyppos)
    There might be more in other zones.

(By the way, umbrils take double breath and light damage.)
    Orly?!
    Sarcasm aside, they're awesome if you have a mage pt with good mages and/or a GEO giving macc, syncnuke and tear them apart, but when an Umbril aggroes your typical PUG party composed solely of melees it's pretty much unavoidable that they will use their dangerous TP move before they get killed.
    Which makes it very very very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirai View Post
    directly tied to the PS2 memory limitations like gear/monster models, GUI and the current limitations on the amount of spells and abilities we can have.
    gear/monster models limitations do not really bug me in such an old game.
    The amount of spells/abilities limitation was already solved some time ago (as you surely noticed, we already broke the "cap" on JAs/Spells we had back then)
    One thing they could solve is the limitation on memory for further inventory space maybe, that would be very cool.

Upping of the bandwith cap between server and client from Dial up to ~ISDN for better loading times between zones and inventory.
    This would be fantastic but I'm afraid it's a very delicate core element to touch, I'm not really counting on them to ever do anything about that even with dropped PS2 support.

Shirai

One thing they could solve is the limitation on memory for further inventory space maybe, that would be very cool.
    This actually isn't due to limitations of the client hardware, but the the connection speed cap between server and client.
    By adding more inventory slots, or even adding a new inventory system you increase the server to client data, which means even longer loading times every time you zone.

Hence my hope they'll increase the bandwith cap between server and client ever so slightly.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shirai View Post
    This actually isn't due to limitations of the client hardware, but the the connection speed cap between server and client.
    Someone in the past it said it depended on both those things.
    The memory space required and the type of server<>client communication protocol they're using the transfer packets of data, which is the one they're using right now because of the PS2 memory limitations.
    So while it's technically several different issues, they're all connected together.
    Or so I read, at least.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast