Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 76 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Live Presentation Event: The Future of Final Fantasy XI (03/19/2015)

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...3710/13710.jpg

We will be holding a press conference regarding our plans for FINAL FANTASY XI going forward, with the event broadcast live on the internet.

Date and Time: Thursday, March 19 starting at 12:00 a.m. PDT
    Viewable on YouTube Live
    *The stream will be in Japanese only and will be made public when the event begins. An English language digest will be made available on the official forums.
    * Note that the broadcast may not be available in all regions.
    Wonder what will be announced. New expansion? Server mergers? Closure?

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I kind of hope it's Matsui getting canned, and someone else taking over.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

New expansion to far east!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I saw this and I got a bit scared like they are gonna announce the end of the game but then again that wouldn't make too much sense. I'm kinda excited to see what they have to say.

New expansion? Mannnnnnn!!!! I'd love that. Just something that will make me scream for joy and not go meh...

I hope it's big news and something amazing.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Feels like some stuff when they leveled up a char from 75 to 76. Don't think they'd make a livestream to apread doomsday messages.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Where do I sign for that? Out of all the possible new expansions (I'd love them all) this is the one I'd prefer most of all.
    Pretty odd that a japanese MMO is missing japanese-themed zones and towns.
    Would really love a eastern-themed expansion :D
    No clue what they're going to announce but hope it's gonna be something big that will justify the lack of stuff for the previous months.
    Something that will make me say: "Now I understand all the shitty patches and stuff we've been getting, they were hiddenly preparing for THIS!"

Realistically though I don't know what to expect. Before Adoulin I would have been 100% sure no other expansion would ever be coming for FFXI, now I'm not sure about anything anymore. Will they announce a new expansion? A set of new mini-expansions like Abyssea? New level cap? FFXI becoming FTP?

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I am very curious about this as well. It's been a long time since they had such a 'conference' so there should be something juicy,

JPs think it's the end of PS2 and server merging.

Campaign
    BG Level

Smaller thing than some of us expected, but I'd be happy for that as well.
    I can only imagine the massive amount of drama and butthurtness that would generate from dropping PS2 support though. Well, at least on the OFs.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I have been awake for 15 minutes now and I've heard everything from "no more updates for FFXI ever" to "new expansion announcement." Looks like we'll just have to wait 2 days and find out!

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

F2P F2P F2P F2P F2P!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Possibilities:
    Server Merge - Something many in the community have been calling for. I could see this as the most likely event.

Cutting PS2 Support - Highly doubt it, since SE focuses on supporting the JP community far more than NA and EU, and from what is said, the majority of JPs still play on PS2.

Makin the game Free to Play - Highly doubt this also. Even if the game only has 100k active accounts, at a minimum of 13.95/month, that's nearly $1.4 million of revenue loss per month.

New Expansion - While it's possible, I wouldn't count on it. I don't think the game has enough support right now for that.

Long Term Roadmap - This would be something like when SE laid out the 18 month future for updates, new and revised content, Abyssea content, and 76+ level increases. I think this is also highly likely.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

my bet abyssea addon - adoulin edition! focused around CP, bayld and plasm with total new atmas that break the bounderies of II stats etc

prolly tough just called Gates of Tartarus, Voyage of Tartarus and Heart of Tartarus

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Is there some kind of version of April fools for the japanese?

Seems way to soon for a new expansion, right? When was Adoulin released?

What would PS2 being cancelled mean for the game?

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Snprphnx View Post
    Possibilities:
    since SE focuses on supporting the JP community far more than NA and EU, and from what is said, the majority of JPs still play on PS2.
    This has been a long-standing commonly known thing.
    It might have been true at a certain time in history, pretty confident it was, but I'm very skeptic it still is the case.
    While I think there's still a somehow not negligible amount of PS2-only players in JP, and while I'm also confident their numbers are higher than in the rest of the world, I'm also confident that they still constitute a minority of players.

Their will to keep PS2 support is more due to company statemens, policies, marketing, PRs and whatever you wanna put in there, rather than "to avoid making a handful of customers unhappy".
    Which means that if somehow their company policies/approach changes, they will act in that way (ceasing PS2 support) regardless of how many players still play exclusively on that format.

Highly doubt this also. Even if the game only has 100k active accounts, at a minimum of 13.95/month, that's nearly $1.4 million of revenue loss per month.
    I'm skeptic on this just like you, but your comparison is naive, imho.
    You're comparing 100k account revenue vs Zero revenues.
    The fact the game goes FTP doesn't mean there wouldn't be revenues, just that they wouldn't be mandatory to play the game.
    If you check the MMO market out there, the most profitable MMOs are all FTP.
    Now while it would be hard to turn an old game such as FFXI into a profitable FTP model, it's certainly not impossible. They have very skilled economists and market planners. If they think they have a strategy to move to FTP it will be because they find it somehow profitable for the company, certainly not because "FTP is the only way to make the game surviva". Doubt they care much for that. (well they do, but from a very different perspective than we players do)

While it's possible, I wouldn't count on it. I don't think the game has enough support right now for that.
    True... but didn't we say the same before Adoulin? Yet Adoulin came out, and during that time the majority of the old FFXI team had been forced to move to work on FFXIV ARR.
    If they managed to release SoA under those unbelievable conditions, it means that if they really wanted they could release another expansion whenever.
    The question is: do they want it?

I concur the long term roadmap is maybe the most likely thing to happen, maybe not too detailed but very generic, so that it won't create the problems that the original one created (which is the reason why they stopped releasing roadmaps, or so Matsui said some time ago).
    But, at the same time, making such a bold announcement "just" for a roadmap seems a bit too much? There has to be more, imho.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm betting either F2P or the End Of FFXI (through either no more updates or shuttering the servers). I don't think we've ever had a stand-alone announcement like this, I think everything has been held at events, right?

Also, is someone going to livetweet translation?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Suteru View Post
    I'm betting either F2P or the End Of FFXI (through either no more updates or shuttering the servers). I don't think we've ever had a stand-alone announcement like this, I think everything has been held at events, right?

Also, is someone going to livetweet translation?
    wasnt abyssea and the lvl cap raise announced like this?

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Expectations: new expansion

Reality: new login campaigns.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Double Payment Campaign ! Everyone logging in will be billed twice !

[I'm looking forward to it!]

Quote Originally Posted by Marootsoobutsu View Post
    I kind of hope it's Matsui getting canned, and someone else taking over.
    Matsui getting canned wouldn't really do anything if your concern is about game mechanics or content. That has more to do with Mizuki Ito and Masaru Taniguchi.

I don't really see any issues with Matsui myself. Remember how back in the Abyssea era Matsui said something about only being around level 60 or something? My own guess is that after he experienced how the game played from level 1 onwards he put his own focus on improving the ease of play in the game, which led to the creation of things like trusts. I'm also willing to believe that same line of thought is why the team wanted to tear down RMEs when Adoulin first came out, it was problematic in the Voidwatch era when there was this huge wall to get into endgame content because it was effectively required for people to have one of those before you'd get any kind of invite. But since the players got really asspained about it they seemed to have learned their lesson in terms of trying to add things for both old and new players. I think they've done a pretty good job on that end, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    I'd love it, but given how you could tell resources were pretty strained during the creation of Adoulin I'm not sure if they could do that region any justice. It's easily the most anticipated section of Vana'Diel. Adoulin was probably chosen partly because of how little lore we had of the region before the expansion came. We'll see, though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 76 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast