Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Has anyone checked for registered Trademarks lately? It could be a clue if we are getting a new expansion.

With the timing of Vagary, it feels as though we are at the end of the current ilvl cycle (Reforging Empy Armor) and they will release new content and start the whole ilvl cycle all over again raising the cap to 129 with AF/Relic/Empy reforge turning into +2 at ilvl 129. Maybe we get an Adoulin Abyssea\Dynamis addon or a fully fledged expansion. Whatever the announcement is, based on the screenshot posted on here a few days ago (GM conversation with a player) it's pretty certain we will have server merges.

Campaign
    BG Level

Not sure we could make that conversation with GM count anything.
    Maybe it's exactely what's going to happen, but if it is then I'll call it just a "coincidence" that the GM randomly spouted something that will come true, rather than him being really thoroughfully informed in advance about it.
    Kinda gave me the impression he had no f*cking clue what he was talking about, and I'm not so sure normal GMs would even be informed of such things.
    In my experience with GMing, normal GMs (not seniors) get notified about things like that at the last possible moment, or anyway very very close to that. And are asked to keep their mouths shut (there's NDA and other things you're forced to sign anyway, you could get immediately fired for things like that).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Plot twist: This is all an elaborate trolling and they are basically just going to take about next update and give one of those updated long term update charts

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Has anyone checked for registered Trademarks lately? It could be a clue if we are getting a new expansion.
    "Masters of the Masks"
    http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...810:g4u1nd.2.1

Doesn't sound very FF like though.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Suteru View Post
    "Masters of the Masks"

Masks? We must be going to Tsahya!

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Seems like we'll hear about "some" form of content they're creating in the following year. I'd wager it's something you can buy, be it a mini-expansion or a full blown expansion. They've already hinted at iLvl's going beyond 119, and they seem to be wrapping up Adoulin, so now is an obvious time.

It also seems like a good idea to offset the bad news of PS2 termination with something positive. If they have paying customers on that platform, I'm sure they want to make it as easy as possible to get them on PC and keep them motivated. This is possibly why SE made the seekers edition for PC a free download on their site.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

A thought just occurred: If it was something like an expansion, wouldn't we get something more than "An English language digest will be made available on the official forums."? That makes it sound like bad news.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

A thought just occurred: If it was something like an expansion, wouldn't we get something more than "An English language digest will be made available on the official forums."? That makes it sound like bad news.
    If they're talking about something that's still months away, I don't think so. Also consider JP are getting a live broadcast.

If it is an expansion, marketing content would surely follow between now and it's release.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If it's an expansion it's probably gonna be for 2016. And they're gonna spend the next months banking on the curiousity and cravings of players.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

"Masters of the Masks"

Yeah I checked the European Trademarks as well from the past 15 months

The Seeds of Salvation - Dragon Quest III
    Luminaries of the Legendary Line - Dragon Quest II
    Episode Duscae - Final Fantasy XV
    Shinra Technologies - Cloud based gaming service
    Masters of the Mask - ???
    Triple Triad - Mobile App Card Game
    Heavensward - Final Fantasy XIV
    Brave Exivus - Final Fantasy Mobile Game
    Heavenstrike Rivals - Mobile Tactical RPG
    Colossus Command - Unknown Game
    Record Keeper - Final Fantasy Mobile Game
    Holy Heroes - Unknown Game possible Dragon Quest?
    Snack Truck Fever - Unknown Game most likely mobile app.

SE has typically named their Expansions with "of" or "of the" with the exception of the 3 add ons (ACP/MKE/ASA)

Rize of the Zilart
    Chains of Promathia
    Treasures of Aht Urghan
    Wings of the Goddess
    Vision of Abyssea
    Scars of Abyssea
    Heroes of Abyssea
    Seekers of Adoulin

So Masters of the Masks could fit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I hope the game doesnt go free to play, as in free to play basic game but for certain things it will cost ya, because lookin at things like how expensive alot of their old games on itunes cost, I dont want to have to pay tons just to do whatever.

I'm betting either F2P or the End Of FFXI (through either no more updates or shuttering the servers). I don't think we've ever had a stand-alone announcement like this, I think everything has been held at events, right?
    Whats cheaper at this point. having a live stream stand alone event like this to make whatever announcement (similiar to their freshly picked, not sure if those are live tho) or the logistics to hold a big event (prolly Japanese only) like vana fest, for what many call a dying game. Also just because it was always done at an event before doesnt meant they cant change how they do things.

I can't see them calling the presentation "The future of Final Fantasy XI" if there was no, you know, future for it.

Server merges? Ps2 death? Hell, I'd even like Regional servers at this point.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

This is interesting. I stopped playing cos my laptop driver gave problems so I'll probably be away for a while but it's good to know that SE has plans ahead for XI that I can look forward to.

Predictions/Wishlists

- FFXI subscription fee price cut. Maybe not by a lot. 9.95? Would still look more attractive from a psychological pricing standpoint.
    - FFXI "HD", by porting it to PS4. On the PC front maybe some driver updates or like actual support on windows 8.
    - a new full expansion which, given SoAs relative success, will follow with a similar content model.
    - a deadline for discontinued PS2 support. Especially if they jump to PS4 or with the new expansion. The PS2 lags behind in too many aspects already.
    - introduction of a cash shop. Idk.. They did it in XIV.
    - 1 year plan ahead.
    - server merges. Possibly infrastructure changes
    - iLv cap raise to accompany an expansion (otherwise probably not)

Masters of the Mask does have a expansion ring to it. Generic, but so was Wings of the Goddess. Mask would suggest tsahya, probably

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's not "The Future of FFXI", it's "Our Plans for FFXI Going Forward".

To me, "plans" could mean anything from new expansion, to free to play, to cutting updates or killing the game. It doesn't really sound like the language they would use to announce an expansion.

They aren't calling it a live event, they are calling it a press conference. RIP FFXI.

e: I know it's probably not doom and gloom but FFXI is over 13 years old now and whose playerbase has been declining for years. I really hope they can revitalize it though.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I'm typing this on a phone so please don't go all grammar nazi on me.

Let the speculation run wild, folks! I very highly doubt they are going to shut down the game or make it go F2P, as the game is still very profitable for SE.

As for a server merger, I'm already anticipating it. It's pretty much a given considering the horror stories I've heard of servers with 350-400 ppl and 80% of those people are AFK or mules.

Now, as for the "speculation" my guess is a new expansion. And "Masters of the Mask" fits right in with the naming pattern of expansions. And if this is indeed true, then there's also the strong possibility of one or more new jobs. However, with the coming of a new expansion, that may also mean SE will be dropping PS2 support because let's face it, that little 40gig hard drive is pretty much almost full is it not? It wouldn't be able to accommodate a new expansion thus goodbye PS2!

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Masters of the Mask: featuring Crash Bandicoot and UkaUka.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

omg...

Spoiler: show
    Double Cheese Sandwich

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    This is interesting. I stopped playing cos my laptop driver gave problems so I'll probably be away for a while but it's good to know that SE has plans ahead for XI that I can look forward to.

Predictions/Wishlists

- FFXI subscription fee price cut. Maybe not by a lot. 9.95? Would still look more attractive from a psychological pricing standpoint.
    - FFXI "HD", by porting it to PS4. On the PC front maybe some driver updates or like actual support on windows 8.
    - a new full expansion which, given SoAs relative success, will follow with a similar content model.
    - a deadline for discontinued PS2 support. Especially if they jump to PS4 or with the new expansion. The PS2 lags behind in too many aspects already.
    - introduction of a cash shop. Idk.. They did it in XIV.
    - 1 year plan ahead.
    - server merges. Possibly infrastructure changes
    - iLv cap raise to accompany an expansion (otherwise probably not)

Masters of the Mask does have a expansion ring to it. Generic, but so was Wings of the Goddess. Mask would suggest tsahya, probably
    Cash Shop could actually work well for purchasing Trust Ciphers and Costumes, especially for those who come back to the game and missed out on the Login Campaigns.

Haven't they also announced that they're making /lockstyle more robust? All job level 1 cosmetic gear could be cash shopped

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yeager View Post
    or make it go F2P, as the game is still very profitable for SE.
    Again, this goes under the assumption that F2P can't be a profitable model.
    Who says?
    We can debate wether or not that would actually work (i.e. be profitable) for an old game such as FFXI, but let me remind you that atm the most profitable MMO games are all FTP (with WoW being the one and only exception).

They could offer sellable stuff on a specific shop (trusts, cosmetic gear, additional stuff too maybe) and a monthly fee for "additional characters" (mules) and also make stuff like double CP campaign, login campaign etc exclusive for "premium users", who would be paying a monthly fee.
    Not saying it would work for FFXI and net them more money that the current model does, but it DOES work for many other games.