Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Let me guess, Locky? That thing hit our customer networks like a truck, I think we had 5 infections in 2 days... <.<
    Not sure what it is, except a lot of files got renamed with a .mp3 extension at the end. Regardless, I was told to stay out of it so, I am! lol

They got some contractors in (upon client's request) looking at it, so ...

It's technically not my area/responsibility but I am more than capable of assisting, but as they got people on it I'll just follow protocol and not rack up any liability on my part.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post
    "Segregated" is the word we'd use I think.
    Ah thanks! Third language and all that ><

But onto random tech fails!

This bloody user is one of those know it alls, who knows not at all. Calls me up, complains the hell out of how she's getting messages about her data quota on cellphone. Says she hasn't used it at all, or done anything with it except call. I ask her if she installed any apps, or any additional accounts, she says no. explain to her how to check her dataquota, says it's just 30 mb total all year. So mail, registration apps, necessary webpages etc. are going pretty slow since she got throttled. She of course blamed it all on the carrier being absolutely clueless morons.
    So I go to the other side of town to look.
    She had hooked up her private google account and synched all her mail, apps etc. onto the company phone, completely burning through the dataquota in no time, despite explicit company policy on "do not do this". !"¤& users.

Same user complains about the screen locking up to soon, I ask her if she tinkered with the timer settings, she says "No.", I ask her if she tried turning them up a bit, she says yes, but it didn't help. I go to look, they're set to 5 min.

Same user calls me up, complains about printer not working, she's holding a course, so I have to get down there asap. So I get in the car and go down there.
    Arrive, ask what the problem seems to be, she says the stupid thing is completely borked and a piece of shit, she never saw anything like it.
    Printer is so stuffed with paper it is literally threatening to burst out.

I could go on and on and on.. this person is fairly recently employed, and I am pretty sure she's going to spend the next couple of years making me miserable.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Bought a motherboard open box for super cheap. After breadbording I thought I was gold. Full windows install and all that and the mb kept putting the monitors to sleep and other weird stuff. Now installing my previous mb and running into problems with Steam.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Was out sick all last week. I can't wait to see the fires I'll have to put out tomorrow, and I'm still not over this cough.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Got authorized to delete a folder with 1.3~ million XML files. Folder name was labelled "archive". We ran out of space finally on the server.

I've been protesting to delete this for years. I've never had a reason to look in there.

Feels good.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

So I've mentioned in the past that Filemaker Pro is used at my job to manage almost everything. It's been absolutely horrible to keep our system updated. I work in retail and our system backs up and is supposed to sync with the main server plus other locations. More often than not this doesn't happen. Currently, the location I work at hasn't backed up since last week Friday, but it's still syncing to add new items to our database. We recently found a negative to pushing a back-up through where it causes all the entries in our database to either duplicate or triplicate.
    From time to time we ask our IT team what the problem is and they usually blame some bug in the network. Their latest excuse leads me to truly believe they have no idea what is going on. They told our general manager that whenever there is moisture (rain/snow) in the air, it will not update. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lolwhat....

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

We've been stuck with a stupid Microsoft Audit.

We keep showing them our licences that it legal, confirmed with Dell.

M$ keeps coming back 'for us it's not legal so please buy more licence or get a penalty'

urgh

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    We've been stuck with a stupid Microsoft Audit.

We keep showing them our licences that it legal, confirmed with Dell.

M$ keeps coming back 'for us it's not legal so please buy more licence or get a penalty'

urgh
    haha seriously yeah, had 2 of those in the last 5 years, they take forever, last time they insisted on seeing windows 8 keys from OEM systems...
    We have our house in order, yet still it takes forever with followup questions and whatnot.
    </3 MS audits

BG Level

Unless I misunsertood the licence process with Dell we have 1 licence of Windows 2k8 R2 Datacenter (2 CPU)

That licence came with 2 codes, 1 Physical and 1 Virtual

Dell insist that the Datacenter R2 licence can be used with unlimited VMs as long as we have max 2 Physical CPU and use the virtual key which we did

So our server has ESXI5.5 on it 2 physical CPU and 6 Windows 2008 R2 datacenter VM all using the virtual key.

Microsoft insist we need a 2nd licence, and refuse to tell us why, while we keep finding conflicting information online

this is really stupid tbh lol

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

AFAIK datacenter edition is licensed per CPU (socket) and you always have to buy 2 licenses together, even when your server only has one CPU. So if your datacenter edition is for 2 CPUs and you only have a single V-host, you should be fine...

BG Level

I know, which is why i would like M$ to explain what's wrong

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Does anyone else here deal with OS X and OS X Server or is everyone else windows based? I am stuck on an issue setting up a new server and it is irritating me. I am trying to set up a new server with a file share and I can only get authentication to work when connecting to the server via SMB but not AFP. SMB would work fine except that AFP is native to OS X and generally runs faster and more stable (this is what I have been told and read but that may have changed).

I am running OS X 10.9.5 and the latest server.app version available for that OS. My new server is an open directory replica so that is how I have imported all my user accounts.

Thanks to whomever has any ideas.

Also in before lolmac.

Sorry, i did have a few OSX servers because one of the school's i used to work for had to have macs for their "ART".... that used programs that worked on PC, but Mac's were "Better and did more stuff". That said, the servers were mainly for imaging other macs and to direct logins to AD. We would still setup shares using windows instead of mac because of the extra work (Because of the mixed environment, it was easier to mount a windows share to win/mac than mac share to win/mac).

As for the Microsoft key, wow you guys have it rough. I've never even been in a Microsoft audit, but it sounds like shit. Luckily i do government work now, so i don't even have to worry about that shit anymore. We just have huge banks of keys.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    Sorry, i did have a few OSX servers because one of the school's i used to work for had to have macs for their "ART".... that used programs that worked on PC, but Mac's were "Better and did more stuff". That said, the servers were mainly for imaging other macs and to direct logins to AD. We would still setup shares using windows instead of mac because of the extra work (Because of the mixed environment, it was easier to mount a windows share to win/mac than mac share to win/mac).
    Yeah Mac's always play nicer with Windows than Windows plays with Mac's in mixed environments. See NTFS or FAT formatting on a HD vs. OS X Journaled. Mac's can easily read any HD that is windows formatted and grab information from it but it sucks trying to get information from a Mac into a Windows environment without an SMB network share.

I don't really care about PC. vs. Mac I will learn and use whatever I need for my current job. Last job was PC this one happens to be Mac. Though since Mac is getting rid of all of their enterprise class hardware (bye xserves) and the new mac pro's don't play nicely with server racks I hate that form factor. My work might be moving our servers to a linux based system eventually and just using mac's for end users.

Apple has also been slowly dumbing down the features on the Server App lately as well as reducing the power of the most powerful mac mini's that you can get which sucks. At least the mac mini's can be rack mounted and take up less space than the stupid shitty mac pro's.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Does anyone else here deal with OS X and OS X Server or is everyone else windows based? I am stuck on an issue setting up a new server and it is irritating me. I am trying to set up a new server with a file share and I can only get authentication to work when connecting to the server via SMB but not AFP. SMB would work fine except that AFP is native to OS X and generally runs faster and more stable (this is what I have been told and read but that may have changed).

I am running OS X 10.9.5 and the latest server.app version available for that OS. My new server is an open directory replica so that is how I have imported all my user accounts.

Thanks to whomever has any ideas.

Also in before lolmac.
    Anythign here that can help?

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/osxserver/filesharing/

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Thanks Rata I have been reading through all of the documentation on Apple as well as the server textbook and I haven't found anything describing being able to access a file share via SMB but not AFP.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    AFAIK datacenter edition is licensed per CPU (socket) and you always have to buy 2 licenses together, even when your server only has one CPU. So if your datacenter edition is for 2 CPUs and you only have a single V-host, you should be fine...
    Minor heads up here, they're changing this with 2016 generation to per core!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Minor heads up here, they're changing this with 2016 generation to per core!
    Tbh this all licencing issue is stressing me out, trying my best to follow the rules and M$ trying to fuck the shit up

also my client are 6 'different compagnies' regrouped into 1 main group (even though each office has a different name) and all 6 are regrouped under 1 customer # for M$, and Friday another M$ employee sent an audit to one of my client inside that group trying to say they are separated from the rest.

this shit gonna kill me in the end

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Tbh this all licencing issue is stressing me out, trying my best to follow the rules and M$ trying to fuck the shit up

also my client are 6 'different compagnies' regrouped into 1 main group (even though each office has a different name) and all 6 are regrouped under 1 customer # for M$, and Friday another M$ employee sent an audit to one of my client inside that group trying to say they are separated from the rest.

this shit gonna kill me in the end
    We have a deal with a tech company where we buy the specialized services it's not practical for us to have our own people on top of since it's changed so rarely outside of updates (mostly firewall&security stuff), they have their own department dealing with licensings, and their own subgroup there dealing with MS since it tends to be such a fucking mess, when we get audited, we do all the main work, then have them come in and "proofread" before we send it off and help us deal with the inevitable comments and follow-up questions from MS.

Because make no mistake, there WILL be ungodly followup questions, some MS licensing departments are the bureaucrats that were rejected by local state/municipality governments because they were _too_ difficult

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag