Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast
    Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

So dudes, get this.

Our company sends out a phishing email as a test to every person in the company. Someone in our company, then starts an email chain, includes the company wide distribution list, asking to be removed from the list.

Thus starts the cycle of every computer illiterate person not understanding how email works, replying all and asking to be removed from the list, not realizing that their own replies are the thing that is causing this email chain to go on. All they have to do is stop replying to the damned email.

So come this morning, 300+ emails n my inbox from various people in my company proving how inept with technology they all are, all following suit asking to be removed from this list.

So I setup a filter that automatically deleted all these emails as they come in. Before the filter, I was getting an email every 1-2 minutes about it. Just redonk. People are so damned dumb.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Hah we got one of those too, was hitting director level inboxes and people were posting memes. Pretty sure some reprimands went out that day.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Gotta love when people hit Reply All

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I think we have all seen that happen at least once. I had one at my last job where one of my direct coworkers was the "patient zero" in the reply to all debacle. It got so bad that one of the VP's came out of his office and yelled at the top of his lungs to everyone to stop hitting reply to all. Then the original offender tried to retract his email and it completely crashed the whole mail server.

Was one of the funniest things I have seen.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I love it when those reply-all happens. We had one in our company, 400k people worldwide. My manager banned/prohibited me from participating as we were watching the wreckage. I wanted to spam memes around.

Here's what happened to us (this was 3 weeks ago). The first e-mail that I believe was mistakenly used, went to everyone. One of them also happened to go to "support" which generated a ticket. Unfortunately, when the ticket generated, it also was helpful enough to inform everyone because it sent a mail back to everyone in the To/CC; which happened to include the global. So when first blood striked from the person who wanted to be removed from the distribution list, it generated another ticket and distributed to everyone. Come loop.

Spoiler: We're an IT company

I was also hugely disappointed in how long it took for what I would call as "command" to finally tell everyone to stfu

I was sort of keeping track of the offenders

1st blood was from america
    Then mostly from lolIndians
    Finally most of EU/US/China/Japan dropped in to weigh in on the matter

Which none of it helped. lol

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

im usually pretty sympathetic to the first blood person just because reply and reply all are always right next to each other. its literally everyone else that sucks.

i was actually kinda proud; the one time it's happened since ive been here, not a single person from our call center responded. was mostly salespeople. given that a solid 40% of our job already consisted of cleaning up after a salesperson, this did not further endear them of anyone in repair.

speaking of which, there's some fails there. i wish we had a tracker for "salesperson lied to customer" because that's a significant driver of call volume. and we're not allowed to throw them under the bus, either, so we have to brush it off as a "miscommunication" or just say we're not sure why they said whatever bullshit they said. shit, i've even seen times where a customer calls in asking questions, hangs up with sales, then calls in later freaking out because the salesperson set up an appointment without even telling them. and then there's the fucking dinosaur sales agents who don't use the modern tools... which then prevents anyone else from using the modern tools on that account until it gets completely rebuilt.

when i say 40% is cleaning up after sales, i don't think that's an exaggeration.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I love it when those reply-all happens. We had one in our company, 400k people worldwide. My manager banned/prohibited me from participating as we were watching the wreckage. I wanted to spam memes around.

Here's what happened to us (this was 3 weeks ago). The first e-mail that I believe was mistakenly used, went to everyone. One of them also happened to go to "support" which generated a ticket. Unfortunately, when the ticket generated, it also was helpful enough to inform everyone because it sent a mail back to everyone in the To/CC; which happened to include the global. So when first blood striked from the person who wanted to be removed from the distribution list, it generated another ticket and distributed to everyone. Come loop.

Spoiler: We're an IT company

I was also hugely disappointed in how long it took for what I would call as "command" to finally tell everyone to stfu

I was sort of keeping track of the offenders

1st blood was from america
    Then mostly from lolIndians
    Finally most of EU/US/China/Japan dropped in to weigh in on the matter

Which none of it helped. lol
    This.. this is beautiful...

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I really wish IMs weren't a thing. Between people IMing me for critical issues (instead of emailing the development group) and having a Dev send 5+ IMs asking for help like so:

>Hi Corr
    >Good morning
    >About Ticket #99999
    >I was looking into it and found a thing
    >What should I do?

I'm wondering how long I could get away killing my IM at startup before someone notices I'm offline

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

= 'null'

Not sure who to blame more - the developer who wrote that, or the QA team for not catching it.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Boss ask me to find an internet connection rush for the 2nd building

Takes 1h to negocitate sutff with company

Gives my boss the report

Tells me he doesn't have time to check that now ...

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

oh I feel your pain on that...

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Tech industry fail. Dram is through the fucking roof right now. Set of 2x8GB DDR4 3200 CAS 16 I bought about three months ago for $115 is now $225. Insanity.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Exactly why I'm using an older set of 32GB DDR4 2400 sticks with my Ryzen 7 instead of new 3000+.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Gahhh I'm getting slightly sick of explaining to my dad how there is next to no possibility of his ipad getting any sort of virus/infection. Weekly/Monthly.

He obviously goes on slightly less than desirable sites; the fact they're caked with ads that say you have a virus isn't helping. I emphasised so much to him it's just ads designed to scare.

He wanted my spare ipad with a new apple ID to see what sites he can go on lol. Also wanted adobe flash installed which I told him is impossible. Obviously there's still a bunch of ... lets say, better stuff, gated behind flash. Seriously can't imagine what life be like if he had a Windows laptop, or Android device (if they're more susceptible).

Actually half tempted to lend him Windows device and let him have his way. See how quickly malware/spyware shuts him down.

I'm sure we've all had that case somewhere where we had to safe mode/disconnect from network a PC and then clean everything up because it's nigh unusable after 5 mins turning it on. I need him to encounter such a scenario so I can once and for all say "This is why you're on an iPad".

edit: frustratingly, a trait with my parents is this:

1. they'll look up something are actively interested in with no issue
    2. anything that is outside this circle, i.e. how to pay a bill, or phone number of a shop, or what's for sale on amazon, they instantly go brain dead. I sent my dad an article/video about ipad and viruses and he is absolutely not interested or fails to understand

BG Level

3 Questions because I have a blank (2 pretty stupid ones too)

1) Trying to build my first rackmount ever, how do i calculate how many U does a device take? (like my switch I think uses 1 hole then 2 free then 1 hole)
    2) We have a folder redirection here for desktop and documents that are \\server\home\username\desktop (or documents). Our normal sharefiles also goes by \\server\sharefile. We saw that they doesn<T work on VPN and i had to remake the shares to \\server.domain.corp\sharefolder and they work NP. My issue now is that for those who uses a laptop for both home and work, their desktop and documents will work thanks to the cache on VPN but will not save on the server. If i change my Folder redirection to \\servername.domain.corp\home\username etc (aka THE EXACT SAME PATH, just change servername to servername.domain.corp) Will the folder redirection still work or will I need to reconfigure their local profile?

3) We are starting to get more W10 1709 PC and sadly our WSUS is 2008R2 (that doesn<T correctly work with W10 1709.) Company refuse to upgrade to W2016 for a while. What are my wait to update the W10 computers automaticly, or am I stuck let Wupdates by default?

Thanks

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    3 Questions because I have a blank (2 pretty stupid ones too)

1) Trying to build my first rackmount ever, how do i calculate how many U does a device take? (like my switch I think uses 1 hole then 2 free then 1 hole)
    Quit counting holes; count U's. Standard racks are 42U. If you are trying to cram patch panels, switches, PDUs, etc in it, count the Us of each thing you plan to put in it. If you have a couple of blade servers, NAS, etc, you can quickly eat up 42U, but it's not that hard to just add them up when planning. Keep in mind that in some applications you may want space between what you are mounting (for shelving, for airflow, whatever).

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Coren View Post
    Quit counting holes; count U's. Standard racks are 42U. If you are trying to cram patch panels, switches, PDUs, etc in it, count the Us of each thing you plan to put in it. If you have a couple of blade servers, NAS, etc, you can quickly eat up 42U, but it's not that hard to just add them up when planning. Keep in mind that in some applications you may want space between what you are mounting (for shelving, for airflow, whatever).
    That's my initial question, how do i know how many U is a specific device lol

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

BG Level

sorry for the delay but thanks

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Fuck every piece of undocumented, uncommented code ever.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag