+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Fuck every piece of undocumented, uncommented code ever.
    As someone that had to inherit an old web app I can't agree more to this.

BG Level

Holy fuck my coworker is a special kind of stupid. One of our file building processes today failed due to a SQL timeout and they asked our scheduling team to set the status of the process to completed. Why? "Because I saw the file in the FTP folder."

First off, bullshit. If you took a moment to study the code of that application you would notice no file would have been created where the exception happened. Second, if the file was actually generated and an exception was thrown you're not even going to verify the file?

Fucking hell...

EDIT: No they're asking me if I went and talked to the DBAs about the timeout... I can't even...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Who needs verification? You asked for a file, you got a file. Lmao.

BG Level

And to add to that they showed us the file it was the wrong file.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Developer writes a bunch of new code.
    Developer writes new unit test for said code.
    Developer deploys code to QA, unit test runs successfully.
    Developer deploys code to Staging, unit test fails.
    Developer asks me, the admin, to troubleshoot her unit test.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

So todays fail, is mostly my own. We're having a few new power courses (I think the translation would be) installed in the building, so I get one dedicated for servers and one for network. Sweet.

Start at 5 am. Power down all the VMs in advance, then the ESX hosts. Electricians starts to work, all good, new stuff goes up, wee. I spent the time installing an extra UPS for the networking equipment. So start powering things up. One of the ESX hosts crash in bootup, no picture, just stands there looking silly. doesn't respond to anything. FML.

Ok, force a reboot via the power. Loads up, all settings are corrupted, VMs not listing, network settings gone boink, call in outside help from the people who configured the system for us, so I don't have to reinvent gunpowder. 3-4 hours later, most systems are back up and running, except the printers, so daily Fail #1 is almost sorted out.

The printers still aren't cooperating though, so I try to call the tech with our supplier responsible for setting up the secureprint solution. He can't answer the phone right then, so I send off a text.

Now, what I meant to write was that "We're having some post-system crash problems, but I think we'll figure it out". What I did not notice happen was autocorrect kicking in, and what got sent was "We're having some post-breastfeeding problems, but I think we'll figure it out." FML.
    I don't even have kids, why would my autocorrect even think of using "Post-breastfeeding"? I will never live this down.

(Now before anyone asks why the fuck this was partially done during office hours; two words: my boss. A few more words: doesn't see the problem with downtime and maintenance during workhours in a $20m+ company with 200+ computers and several hundred employees).

I think the only real fail here is your boss. Downtime is the primary metric for grading an IT crew..... Time is money, and he should be fired.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

That's my argument as well, but the VP just isn't buying it. "People will work around it". I'm one person dealing with all of it, needless to say my vacations are short and my flexitime (see: overtime they don't want to pay for) account usually easily hits 2-300 hours+ more than I'm able to get rid of each year (and I do enjoy sleeping in), so their answer is forcing me to take time off, which usually means that other stuff stops getting done while I am gone, and still waits for me when I get back since I'm the only one. which means reaccumulating more hours and getting a dressing down by the VP.

The problem is, there aren't that many positions you can practically go up anywhere, paywise or "prestige" without having some nutty specialization, as I am finding out the hard way. either missing specific specialities or brutally overqualified. I'm the fucking RDM of tech, the job has forced me to be a jack of all trades in tech, master of none. Planning to get more into security, but that's a medium/long term plan.

/livejournal

BG Level

Working on Black Friday in the office. Dead as hell and nothing has happened all day. Been trying to get done with my quarterly compliance training but this shit is so boring and doesn't herlp one of the lessons feels like a shitty flash game you would expect to find on Newgrounds in the late 90s/early 2000s

BG Level

So I learned my coworker doesn't know how the debug worth a shit.

Ticket came in today regarding an .aspx page on an old web site returning incorrect page data from a content system we use. I told my coworker the best way to do resolve this would be to run that locally and debug the .aspx page provided in the ticket notes. The entire thing went over their head since the first thing they asked me was how to get to that page (already I'm at a loss for words) and after they finally managed to get to the page (in once instance they didn't include the port numbers in the localhost URL) they still needed help figuring out what to do when all the page had for code was a Page_Load() method and a method used to parse the query string if one was present.

I don't even...

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Get an email about a ticket I submitted, and I thought it was about printer issues.

This is relating to the ticket way back in September. It took 3 months for IT to respond to that ticket.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

A colleague and I had a meeting in town with a product provider wanting to sell us a document and incident management system.

I have no idea in what ridiculous alternative universe it is a good idea to let a complete stranger presenting a product know that we have internal disagreements as to whether or not we meet the legal requirements for technical information security on a general basis. Especially when it's the head of IT (me) that says we don't.

mother fuck.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I hate emails, it's impossible to make a real security.

A sales rep, just exported all his email from O365 (Outlook OST) to PST and imported them all in a gmail account.

Of course guy is fired blah blah, but fuck is there no wya to prevent that?

I know there is a group policy that blocks that stuff, are you using outlook or are they going to the web interface?

Edit: We also restrict file types from being put on certain drives, in this case you would block pst. That is if you don't want anyone exporting.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Can always move to Lotus Notes. You'll never get out of that trap hahaha.

BG Level

So my team was notified of a new email policy going out soon due to some sh*theads in other departments sending personal information of customers over email.

SMH...

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah, we just recently got our access to our instant messenger back. it was revoked because apparently some reps had been having an affair and using their work computer's IM to plan out when they were going to meet up while on the phone with customers. in very NSFW terms.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    I know there is a group policy that blocks that stuff, are you using outlook or are they going to the web interface?

Edit: We also restrict file types from being put on certain drives, in this case you would block pst. That is if you don't want anyone exporting.
    Outlook

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    yeah, we just recently got our access to our instant messenger back. it was revoked because apparently some reps had been having an affair and using their work computer's IM to plan out when they were going to meet up while on the phone with customers. in very NSFW terms.
    I can't tell if that's better or worse than people emailing personal customer information...

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Outlook
    Yea, GPO or block the PST file from the drive itself. You have to go download the GPO files, they are not built in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag