+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast

From your description the base OS is VMware correct? Is there a separate box that's Windows or are those the VMs?

Also, make sure you do a current backup before updating firmware.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    From your description the base OS is VMware correct? Is there a separate box that's Windows or are those the VMs?

Also, make sure you do a current backup before updating firmware.
    Yes VMware is the base which is why I said that I need to do 2.0 then install from 1 of the WINDOWS vm in the host

BG Level

Co worker goes this fail case

Client domain was named domain only

Not domain.local or domain.com or w/e

Then there is a pc on network called domain.

So when they ping domain the pc answer, so he had trouble joining the domain lol

Had to rename pc play with dns a bit

Lol

I.... didn't even know you could do that....

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

This is probably at least partially my own fail. But I had to spend hours changing the AD UPN settings for a lot of company user accounts from @companyname.local to @companyname.properinternetthingie.
    The strange thing is; about half the users had this setting right, and the other half not, already. From both before and after my time. Which makes zero sense. I have been fairly steady in doing it right right away, so what on earth? maybe I have had some bad copy habits somewhere, it took just short enough that I couldn't be arsed to sort out a powershell script for it, but I really wonder what had been going on in here.

The bright side of preparing to move to the cloud is that you really need to tidy up to get it right! My AD has never been this structured and pretty!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    I.... didn't even know you could do that....
    Everything is possible with Microsoft

Also, wtf is wrong with whoever is naming shit.... why in the fuck would you ever name a computer domain....Someone should be fired just for that dumb shit right there.

BG Level

Also, wtf is wrong with whoever is naming shit.... why in the fuck would you ever name a computer domain....Someone should be fired just for that dumb shit right there.
    Well the word domain is used to replace the exact word but the principle is the same

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

We had some equipment die after 2 A/C units tripped off over the weekend. Anyone have a recommendation for some temperature monitors that can do an email notification? Probably looking to cover 3-4 sensors across two different rooms.

If you have a server room with AC units, it normally means you have UPS's, which come with temperature monitors that can e-mail. I can't remember the last UPS bought that didn't have that feature.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

All of our UPS's are centrally located in the electrical room. I don't think any of those are going to work in our situation, I was hoping to do something stand-alone. Plenty of stuff to choose from on Amazon... just didn't know if anyone might have specific recommendations or whatever.

BG Level

Which books would be best for Microsoft certification
    70-410 411 and 412

I thought you were a good 10 years in? Certs don't mean shit with experience behind you. Or is this that, get a raise if you have cert's bullshit, so they can advertise they have certified techs or some shit.

To answer your question tho.... brain dumps if you just want to pass.

BG Level

I thought you were a good 10 years in? Certs don't mean shit with experience behind you. Or is this that, get a raise if you have cert's bullshit, so they can advertise they have certified techs or some shit.

To answer your question tho.... brain dumps if you just want to pass.
    I am 10 year in but company wants certs for exemple Microsoft gold partner and etc

And of course raises

Yea, just brain dumb it. I don't remember off hand the source i used back in the day, but most of them have the questions and answers word for word. Normally a 50 question test would have a question bank of around 3 to 400. I would cram for two days then go grab the cert. I got to "test out" of a bunch of college courses this way, saved a good 5 to 6 grand lol.

This looks like what i used: https://www.exam-labs.com/

But it has been many years.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

So I pretty much inherited an ex coworker's SPA .NET application and the API tied to it and just holy fuck how did this thing ever function. I had an issue come in related to his application where when an account was deleted from the system it wasn't adding it to an archive table. Seems simple enough to look into but hell no...

First off he never checked in all his code. When I tried to build his angular code locally I was getting errors about a method not being found and found a shitload of problems:

-Methods not being defined for some classes
    -The code directly calling the API instead of the .NET code
    -Errors with name casing which was dropping the data returned
    -Some HTTP routes being incorrectly named

So after getting all that sorted out I'm finally able to run and unable to replicate the issue in the development environment. So I talk to QA to try and replicate the problem and we're able to replicate it. However I also found out the authorization was broken in the QA environment so I had to fix that too. After that's fixed I'm not seeing any logging because there was none on the API so I add that an unintentionally break the API. But instead of giving an error it just gave a generic "Account not found message".

After fixing the logging I'm still not seeing anything wrong except it's skipping the insert step for the archive completely. So I decide to add about 10+ custom debug messages and wrap the code that inserts into the archive into a try/catch. Lo and behold I found the problem: The stored procedure which inserts into the archives was missing a parameter in the QA/Production environments but it's in Development.

So now that I found the source of the problem I'm just sitting here trying to figure out how the hell this thing is capable of functioning. You can fuck up the API to the point it can't be called yet the application doesn't give you any indication or is anything getting logged. And more importantly why was the code still executing when the archive record insertion was causing an exception? Actually a better question is why wasn't that all put into a transaction?

Anyway sorry for the rant. This has been driving me crazy all week and I've spent 7 hours off the clock the past 3 days looking into it.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

from your description, the most plausible theory i have is that he never actually made his code live and the system is just running whatever was there initially, while his spaghetti is just there, doing nothing.

i've done that before. "why is this change not doing anything? even if it's not working i should be getting errors!" only to find i'd edited my backups instead of the live files.

anyway, hoping to go to school for more technical IT stuff so hopefully i don't get stuck cleaning up someone else's spaghetti. by all accounts a nightmare. sorry man.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Oh no it's live. I remember our build server being busted for some reason on these apps so we had to compile manually and move to staging.

And he was pretty sour his last month so wouldn't surprise me if he was in "fuck this shit" mode then til he left.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    from your description, the most plausible theory i have is that he never actually made his code live and the system is just running whatever was there initially, while his spaghetti is just there, doing nothing.

i've done that before. "why is this change not doing anything? even if it's not working i should be getting errors!" only to find i'd edited my backups instead of the live files.

anyway, hoping to go to school for more technical IT stuff so hopefully i don't get stuck cleaning up someone else's spaghetti. by all accounts a nightmare. sorry man.
    Was doing some security stuff and trying to find all the nodes on my network using SSH 3 /TLS 1.0/1.1 so i could stop it. I remember working on one server and couldn't figure out why my edit's where not stopping the server from using TLS. It was a good fucking hour of banging my head against the wall.....

O... i was in the testing server, and not production..... but my NMAP scan was hitting the production server.

I wanted to kick my own ass.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

On tuesday, not one but 2 of our customers Veeam B&R installations went a bit haywire out of the blue...

The first one claimed to not have an external HDD available for backup copy (happens sometimes when they forget to flip the switch or a cable isn't properly connected), but checking the server the drive was visible in explorer and fully accessible. So I re-ran the backup repo wizard for the external HDD target, changed nothing, and after it finished the copy job started working right away...

The second one claimed that it couldn't backup "<customer abbreviation>DC" because of wrong login information, so my first thought was that a colleague (who tends to do stuff late night and not always makes notes about it in our ticket system) set up a new VM and didn't integrate it into the domain yet. But, as we checked the server, it wasn't that. Whoever originally set the VMWare environment up called the datacenter that way, so Veeam was complaining that it couldn't access the VM pool... The service account used for authorization hadn't been changed in years (Veeams password manager said it was last altered 666 days ago xD), we just typed the password in once more and saved it, everything back to normal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag