+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Me to PM: Yeah I know the site isn't working but it's not a code issue. Something is wrong with the environment/network. You need to talk to a system admin because I don't control how a site set up.

PMs response to me:

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

PDU in a remote site went down and brought down 1/3 of the total bandwidth at one of my clients. Happened on Saturday. Did a site visit noticed the PDU was down moved the switch, firewall, and other equipment to be plugged directly into the back of the UPS. Everything came back up. Circuit still isn't passing traffic. Some other simultaneous networking issue is causing issues.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Win follow up. After a week and much over time I was able to rewire the network at both ends of a major microwave link that is a 11 mile shot install a new radio at one end of the link and bring it all back up today. This is one of those problems that I almost felt like crying after I resolved it because I feel like I have been banging my head against the wall all week to get it fixed. Multiple points of failure across the board and configuring a microwave radio that is super old, outdated and out of warranty and not supported anymore made this a complicated issue.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Win follow up. After a week and much over time I was able to rewire the network at both ends of a major microwave link that is a 11 mile shot install a new radio at one end of the link and bring it all back up today. This is one of those problems that I almost felt like crying after I resolved it because I feel like I have been banging my head against the wall all week to get it fixed. Multiple points of failure across the board and configuring a microwave radio that is super old, outdated and out of warranty and not supported anymore made this a complicated issue.
    I love people like you in my job. Too many just go "meh, get a new one", and while that is (often) the best way out, sometimes you really do need the old stuff fixed!

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

LiveJournal Continued: New CEO started last year, thinks security levels are too high (we're barely compliant, but I spent the last decade taking it from nothing to a pretty good technical standard, zero trust as basic concept etc.). New CEO is incompetent but thinks this is way too much. Firewalls between systems is bullshit, we don't need endpoint security or logging systems etc. etc.
    (we process massive amounts of sensitive health information about people, amongst other things).

I am (was) CTO. Needless to say I refuse her demands to strip all our security. I knew it was a risk, but :/
    So she can't legally fire me. But, she can strip away all my authority, responsibilities, tasks and leave me a drone sitting in the basement fixing client computers. So I am now on sick leave (screw them). And in my absence, they've started stripping away all the stuff I spent the last 10 years building up. About to make myself unemployed!
    I'll get a new job, I'm not worried about that part. But what the CEO is doing is stripping away years of works and millions in investments in information security simply because she "knows better" (and this is a person who got upset that internal e-mails were submitted to security scans, and doesn't understand how to change audio source in Teams.
    fml.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Document everything, be ready to testify when this bites them in the ass.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Document everything
    This more than anything.

I had to testify against one of my previous boss and the attorney told me that most of the garbage in work contracts including mine aren't even legal. Don't be afraid to make personal backups of everything that was directly addressed/transferred to you.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Trust me, I am. I have documented and exported what I can and have, but I have been pushed out of every significant process so I don't even know what is going on anymore now :/
    Fortunately she's not the smartest tool in the shed, so "everyone" knows what is going on. should push come to shove, but most instructions have been given verbally, and when I have asked for things in writing, she has refused to have ever said any such thing.

But, I have enough to prove her levels of understanding, or lack thereof.

I feel for those who have to take over, not just because of her, but because of what they need to take over, I've been doing the work of g2-3 people for almost a decade, and a lot of the system/config only exist in my head and in the actual systems. But I am going to be petulant enough to say that they were the ones who decided to squeeze me out.

NewEdit!:

On Thursday I made an appointment with the VP, for Tuesday (today) planning to resign, not having anything to go to.
    On Monday, I got a job offer with a huge European IT company.
    Today I handed in my resignation! FeelsGoodMan!

Someone mistakenly sent out a calendar invite to a mailing list of over 2,000 people.

Everyone is now responding using "Reply all" asking to be removed from the mailing list... 300 emails in less than 5 mins. Fuck these dumb ass people.

Edit: I should also note that i only get e-mail spammed when my system is going down or something really important is happening. I was in the shower when i started to hear my phone's chimes hitting back to back x 300. Nothing like getting your morning routine fucked by dumbshits.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    Someone mistakenly sent out a calendar invite to a mailing list of over 2,000 people.

Everyone is now responding using "Reply all" asking to be removed from the mailing list... 300 emails in less than 5 mins. Fuck these dumb ass people.

Edit: I should also note that i only get e-mail spammed when my system is going down or something really important is happening. I was in the shower when i started to hear my phone's chimes hitting back to back x 300. Nothing like getting your morning routine fucked by dumbshits.
    This happened at my previous job then the reply all chain fed upon itself and created such a huge issue then the original email was attempted to be recalled by the IT department and it completely crashed the email server for a couple hours. It resulted in a heck of a lot of people standing up and screaming over the cubicle walls at people to stop replying to all.

At the time I was a technical artist and this was at a big game company I wasn't in IT yet.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

At Amazon we dedicate wiki pages to those events. The one in November 2017 generated 1.6m emails in 61 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    This happened at my previous job then the reply all chain fed upon itself and created such a huge issue then the original email was attempted to be recalled by the IT department and it completely crashed the email server for a couple hours. It resulted in a heck of a lot of people standing up and screaming over the cubicle walls at people to stop replying to all.

At the time I was a technical artist and this was at a big game company I wasn't in IT yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    At Amazon we dedicate wiki pages to those events. The one in November 2017 generated 1.6m emails in 61 minutes.
    We ended up pulling the email chain because people could not stop fucking responding. A good 40% of the emails were people saying to stop replying all.... which they were also doing.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

My one dream before I retire from IT in 20 years is having a pop up come up every time you click reply all asking if you really want this seen by every person in the chain.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I almost removed "Reply All" from Outlook with my last employer, but chickened out at the last moment, had a GPO ready for testing and all. Then I got the aforementioned narcissistic sociopath as new boss.

BG Level

So that website I mentioned back in April went live awhile back. The group that helped build it had to make some additional changes I had to oversee and now today my boss told me we're no longer working with them and now I need to do some form validation they apparently missed since we're getting SQL injections, invalid phone numbers, etc. sent to the business using a form on the page.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Prepared statements

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    Prepared statements
    Funny how they taught me about SQL injections and prepared statements back in the 90s and yet it's still a problem nowadays. Maybe they should stop outsourcing everything or stop hiring devs that learned to code from a weekend bootcamp.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

As the saying goes, if you want something...

• Cheap
    • Fast
    • Right

...then pick 2, cuz you can't have all 3.

BG Level

Pretty much. Thankfully the form doesn't connect to any data. It's just a form you submit with your basic info + a message then builds an email based off that to send to our business department.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

So with our inevitable migration of personal and network shares being migrated to One Drive, I've been converting the scan boxes on our copiers from scan to directory to scan to email. Everything was working fine, till one copier decided it no longer wanted to do it. Damn fix wound up being changing the smtp server from named to ip address and it decided it would then scan to email again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag