+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 LastLast
    United States of Smash!
    BG Level

The internet at my house has been down for 2.5 days. I can't work at all. Also unrelated the cell tower near my house is having issues so my signal strength fell by half. I can't even reliably use that like I used to. I will have internet back by the end of today but this sucks.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

while not relevant for anything but curiosity, are you sure they are unrelated? Those cell towers could easily use some of the same infrastructure to get the signals there.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    while not relevant for anything but curiosity, are you sure they are unrelated? Those cell towers could easily use some of the same infrastructure to get the signals there.
    Yes I am absolutely sure. I get my internet from a different ISP who has a series of microwave towers coming in from the north. AT&T owns the backbone that supplies bandwidth to the cell tower and that comes in from the east. The piece of equipment that failed that brings me internet is 100% owned and only used by my ISP.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Tried to get some testing set up tonight to ensure testing with QA will go smoothly on Friday only to ran into a firewall rule problem. What's worse is since our Information Security team is VERY strict about firewalls even for Development/Testing environments and need these types requests to go through business approval I think I boned myself since the last change review before my deadline was today.

Hope my boss will be fine with my workaround ideas.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I fucking hate Quebec

Currently at a job that pays me 86k per year because of the certs I got (teams, working on Azure and O365 one missing one exam each) because work asked me to but yet all I get is level1 case, Fix the date in someones Excel, investigate logs before windows updates etc.

So then I send some Resumes and get some Senior level interview, that in the interviews ask me fucking level 1 stuff and offers a 50k per year job. Im like im sure I can do my job better then your fucking senior admins and yet all I get is 50k per year offers.

So im im sitting at home charging 1h for a 15min job to change a user password while watching YouTube because since its too easy im going too fast vs the normal employee

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I swear our IT infrastructure is sentient and knows when my boss is out. Every time he's on vacation it seems like something urgent/critical happens. So far he's been gone since Thanksgiving and since then I think I've only had 1 day without shit hitting the fan. Not only that but the rest of the development team seem to have zero fucks and assume I'll fix everything. Hell earlier this week we got an email alert about a critical failure and about 5 minutes later another one of the developers was a big enough dumbfuck to email me that alert and had the audacity to say "Are you looking into this?" when he damn well knows he can log into our incident queue and see if a ticket has been assigned to an individual.

I really need to have a long talk with my boss about this kind of shit. I was supposed to get a legacy application converted over to our new infrastructure but I haven't even had time to look into that because of shit like this.

BG Level

Trying to study really hard

Tomorrow is my MS-101 exam and if I can pass it ill finally be certified O365 expert

Then I can start the AZ-104

So much pressure before xmas lol

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Trying to study really hard

Tomorrow is my MS-101 exam and if I can pass it ill finally be certified O365 expert

Then I can start the AZ-104

So much pressure before xmas lol

I PASSED!!!!

Microsoft taking forever to issue my certificate

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Congratulations on passing. How many water bottles did you have to be hit with before you passed?

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Congratulations on passing. How many water bottles did you have to be hit with before you passed?
    passed it first try 709/700 lol

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    passed it first try 709/700 lol
    Congratulations :D

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Why is it so difficult to fill a PDF form from a database query? Why isn't that a mainstream feature

All of our court hearings have to be recorded. The person that turns on the recording messed up and didn't patch the recording system up to the conference call. They also forgot to turn on the backup recording system that ATT does on their end (Just in case there is a network issue at the court).

There is also a second person in every chambers that is supposed to double-check that these features are turned on, they also didn't bother that day.

So we get a call asking if we can work some magic and get the audio recording "Back". What do you mean back? We never had them, you didn't turn it on. How in the flying fuck could we re-create an audio call that lasted 8 hours and no one recorded...

Sometimes i do think people think IT people are wizards.

BG Level

Got a promotion at work

Promoted to tech leader and 5k increase

If after 3 months everything goes well I get another 3k increase

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Windows updated after I finally had my new monitor and old monitor working together with internet and sound, and now it won't detect my old monitor at all. If I look up the device it says it's there but "device not migrated" because of "partial or ambiguous match."

It doesn't seem to let me try to reinstall drivers. Trying to Uninstaller the device and then reinstall did nothing. Thing is, when I boot it up it displays on both screens, but as soon as the Windows OS loads it reverts to one.

And even though it literally just updated it tells me I can't do a system restore because I haven't updated in more than 10 days.

Why can't I just enjoy my new toys.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Think I just had someone set a speed run record of bricking an iphone.

Sets the home screen unlock. We move to his laptop to reset his itunes password as it's been so long he forgot. Goes to unlock phone, and it appears he made and confirmed a typo when setting the code and it's now up to fifteen minutes lock out with only being able to make one attempt before it doubles in time

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

This is a bit further afield for the thread, but I recently escaped my quasi-management role for a week and managed to get back into doing some modeling (only hands, we're not like the others) and have to scream this into the void.

One of the models we use that's completely central to our product is ridiculously complicated despite the relatively lacking input data and, naturally, it turns out that complication is entirely unjustified. They clearly designed the model, cross validated, and then never thought about what the cross-validation told them about their design. For instance, one of the 5 input models for their ensemble is an LSTM neural net with a token dictionary of only 256 words despite the fact that this is a very sparse lexicon. Most documents have 1 word (95%), and some 0 (4%). They then pad this 0-1 word sequence out to 128 words and throw it into a 2-level neural net. That's a lot of goddamned math to get a lookup table out the back end. I rewrote it yesterday and get better results using only 8 features. My new model takes less time to train than the old one did to predict.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Anyone got assfucked by this today? https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/...soft_defender/

I'm real sore lol

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Anyone got assfucked by this today? https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/...soft_defender/

I'm real sore lol
    Oh that is fun. I haven't heard anything about it. I am not really doing enduser support anymore but I bet we will have a few tickets come in about that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

I'm real sore lol
    I'm hearing a lot of Government groups who, for some fucking reason, still don't understand why most of us delay updates for a few weeks are being hit hard right now.

I get wanting to patch as quickly as possible, but if it bricks your site every few months, you would think you would start putting a delay on things.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag