+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I recently changed over to mATX build so I had to do a fresh install of W7. After getting everything set up I go into disc management to make sure everything is how I like it. I notice on my 3tb HDD for some reason there was a 100mb partition that I swear wasn't there before. Same on my 512gb SSD. I go to attempt to merge them and I started with the SSD. I somehow wiped the entire drive which had the majority of my gaming data on it. The biggest bummer is I thought GTA V had cloud saving for single player. Nope! Roughly 20 hours or so down the drain.
    That 100 MB partition is used by Vista/7/8 for boot-related tasks. It has to be there for the OS to function. Normally it is created on the drive the OS goes on to, but the installer can sometimes put it on other disks. Touching it after creation is usually a bad idea. I know it doesn't help now, but keep it in mid for the future.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

New tech working at my company varies wildly between super-deep knowledge and absolute novice.

I work at our second largest office, the company HQ is in Montreal (hi2u Rata). My boss and one other tech work in the US with me, the rest of the crew is in MTL, 4 developers and 8 techs, two of which are managers of the other techs.

I went up there four times earlier this year to assist with onboarding of a unit we acquired. This new guy came onboard just before my last trip, where I had to go 'round and migrate about 40 workstations to our domain. So, I got some hands-on time with him and discovered how inept he can be.

The most recent occurrence of stupidity came in when someone from HR gave him a former employee's PC (this happens to be how we found out that this employee had left, normally we have a process for offboarding, but whatever). In classical FNG fashion, he kindly suggests to the rest of the team a new process to make sure we reclaim his Kaspersky license by uninstalling it from the computer and then deactivating it from the Kaspersky console. I tell him "There shouldn't be any need to do anything to the workstation, just deactivate it from the console." He responds (and I'm going to translate this into readable English) "But then it'll just get re-added to the console whenever the client reconnects". I tell him "Good. If it's still on the network, we *want* it to be protected, we'd only deactivate the license if we were decommissioning the machine."

He also asked for us to grant him permissions to delete the computer's AD account. Uh, we have possession of the PC, and it isn't being decommissioned, so why on earth would we do that? (Dumb questions like this are why I fight my boss on giving him any permissions in AD.)

Worst part about it is that the next guy up the totem pole in terms of time served spent almost a year as a "temp" because supposedly we were afraid of hiring someone that didn't pass muster, and didn't want to get stuck with a permanent employee that would be harder to terminate (I dunno what the problem is here, even though it's Quebec we've termed employees for a variety of reasons before). That guy is fairly competent. This new guy didn't have to temp at all. How does that look to the dude that had to suck it up for a year as a temp?

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I sent you my CV and you ignored it, SUCK IT

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I didn't ignore it! I sent it to my boss, and like you said, it probably wasn't the environment you wanted to work in.

BG Level

I said that? sometimes i need to note what i say to people

BG Level

Got a new employee in IT and I have to "train him" he's been here for 3 weeks and he has almost 0 idea of basic IT stuff (i'm not talking about special rules in the company) but really basic stuff. Exemple

We changing a company network address so I do all the 'hard stuff' re configuring the Firewalls adapting the DHCP and all. I ask the new guy to call the client and verify that all is well.

He calls me back 30sec and tells me 'he still have the old IP what do i do?'

I'm like wtf do you mean what do I do?, You know how DHCP works right?, he answers yeah it gives an IP to PC, i'm like OK but how does the DHCP knows not to give the same address to another PC? He has no fucking clue.

I'm like they have an 8 day lease on the address, so reboot the PC to make sure it negociate the new IP, It won't do it alone!.

this is awful lol

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Got a new employee in IT and I have to "train him" he's been here for 3 weeks and he has almost 0 idea of basic IT stuff (i'm not talking about special rules in the company) but really basic stuff. Exemple

We changing a company network address so I do all the 'hard stuff' re configuring the Firewalls adapting the DHCP and all. I ask the new guy to call the client and verify that all is well.

I'm like wtf do you mean what do I do?, You know how DHCP works right?, he answers yeah it gives an IP to PC, i'm like OK but how does the DHCP knows not to give the same address to another PC? He has no fucking clue.

I'm like they have an 8 day lease on the address, so reboot the PC to make sure it negociate the new IP, It won't do it alone!.

this is awful lol
    If it makes you feel better, the senior tech at my site for my previous job could not tell looking in printers the difference between a locally installed printer and a printer connected via print server.

this is awful lol
    No restart... release and renew!!!

Force those new fuckers to use command line.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post

If he doesn't know the basic. I can't tell him that he will blow up the pc

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Not sure where else to put this, but apparently the new AMD 360, 370, and 380 are just rebrands. Mega fail on AMD's end if this ends up being all there is. http://wccftech.com/amd-launches-rad...cairn-bonaire/

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

My immediate thought as well. Always release / renew!

BG Level

well you can technicly skip release and just do a renew but yeah

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I've been building a new VDI environment from the ground up, because the guy i replaced experimented so much with production, it was easier to start new. As anyone who has done anything like this knows, there are little bugs and shit here and there that need to be fixed as you progress to final testing. We have deployed it to about 30 users for testing. Out of those 30 people, 1 has been calling every day about a problem with this or that, 99% of which is just user configuration (How they like it to work). I've been documenting everything i do for the future and my boss walks in and starting reading it.

"You have been fixing all of this shit? These complaints are retarded, stop wasting your time with this nut. If you keep fixing things like this, they will expect too much. Only fix things that affect their performance."

This is the first IT job i've ever had where i can tell a user "No"......
    Are you guys going with Vmware View? Any hardware to lower the login times? Atlantis is pretty impressive.

BG Level

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125...61#post6418461

What was my error? Forgot to add my PC to the domain, no wonder the login didn't work

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Recently bridged our LAN and WLAN at work for a few reasons and changes made in how things work. I am a security minded sort of guy so I make the case "Why don't we have MAC filtering on I don't see a reason not to". I get the go ahead to implement and create a guest network for people to use on their phones, tablets, etc since I wanted people off the bridged network too. I come to find out that the MAC filtering is global on the Sonicwall APs. Check and see we have the latest firmware from the last time I updated it, and I sink time into seeing why the fuck I can specify the filtering as a non-global option.

After a familiar and friendly time on hold that lasts over an hour as usual I get through. After explaining the issue a few times to my Indian friend I get put back on hold after a awhile of troubleshooting the issue. They come back and tell me that Sonicwall in all its glory can not separate the filter, but the early release of firmware they launched a couple of months ago can. So at this point it is time to go home for the day so I say thank you and bounce.

Come in the next morning and go around telling everyone to get off of a few programs accessed over the network (accounting etc) and do the update and separate the profiles. Happy, I think it is finally over, but nope. I soon find out that DNS is no longer working right over the wireless so certain people who are not wired in are not getting mail and things now. Can't ping the servers on the WLAN, but the LAN is fine.
    Eventually suspecting it is the bridge with the firmware I call back up, and once again wait on hold for an hour and a half, and get Nareeja. After

So after a mass amount of time troubleshooting, creating rules to allow traffic, and so on we find out that it was just that. After fighting it we reach the point over an hour later where I get the
    "I am going to have to go to engineering on this and call you back".
    "Please do or else this will be the worst first date ever. Your hold times are brutal."

So Later before I leave I get the email that engineering got back to them, and this issue will be fixed in the next firmware release, but considering I already needed to be on an early release I was not surprised to get back "unfortunately we do not have an ETA on when that will be released."

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

MAC authentication is the worst.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    MAC authentication is the worst.
    It is only setup over the WLAN so I don't have to deal with all the computers on the LAN needing to be added to the list. Free ports are also pulled in the wiring closet too and workstations are static. I feel pretty fine about it. There are not too many sanctioned wireless devices that need to access the main WLAN so it is a short list to have to filter.

BG Level

Why don't you do vlans?

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Why don't you do vlans?

Do O.o