+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I started working on this DB this morning at 9 AM.

I've now replaced 19 SSDs and am waiting for the RAID array to rebuild again.

This host won't die. Or live. Whatever it is supposed to do.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

^ That all sounds like complex tier work haha

--

Brought a new laptop, a budget cheapass one for the purpose of managing my parents iPads and photos and such.

Opened it, removed McAfee and immediately started the Win10 upgrade.
    Something something happened midway and I had to restart it (connection lost I believe).
    So it was stuck on "downloading 0% complete" for 3 hours
    Frustrated, I had to research the problem and found out that I needed to empty the Windows Update cache

From a casual/none technical point of view this was annoying, I wasn't expecting to expend any effort on it and I hoped to have it all "easily done" but ah well
    I just wanted to install it from a none-IT person's point of view, didn't work out too well lol

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Coworker decided to go play in Folder redirection's security options to transfer files from 1 user to another.

I really hate that guy

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I love everything about my job. I love working for Amazon. I love how close I live to work. I even love living in Northern Virginia. I love fixing servers and being involved in building and maintaining the largest cloud in the world.

But seriously, I watch servers boot up 100 times a day. There is a little bit of monotony to it.

wtf is going on that servers are having to boot up that often? Do you mean setting up new servers to cluster and you guys are growing so fast you do 100 a day? I have clustered hosts that have been on for years. It might even be longer if i didn't do upgrades/patches.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Well Amazon has 83% of the world's cloud commercial cloud capacity, so we have a lot of servers in our data centers....

I'm probably staring at 4,000 servers in this one room, and there are 9 rooms on this site.....

So yah, we reboot a lot of servers each day. Repairs, failed hard drives, etc.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I consider myself to be tech savy and it's a dream of mine to have a job like the ones you guys have. My problem? I know VERY LITTLE about networking, servers, etc.

I'm good with software and hardware troubleshooting. But with the way the world is going, everything is going to be online and networking will just continue to get more important.

I tried to major in computer engineering in college but I really didn't like coding at all. is there any luck for me to learn this. Every time I read into network troubleshooting, it's all Greek to me.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Keep reading up on it, find blogs about news in that area, read up on its history, current issues, theory, look at online videos, etc. The major factor here for you is whether or not you're willing to research the things you don't know. If you can do the research, and take notes/ask questions on anything you don't understand, you can get through it. Takes a bit of determination, or a solid group of friends with similar interests, to help you stay motivated.

Or go a different direction. There might be something else that takes your fancy while researching stuff.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

So one of the programs under the agency I work for wants to replace every laptop, buy a shit ton of monitors, and bunch of docking stations so everything is uniformed, and now that she knows it's going to be about 75k for everything and that means going to the board of supervisors for approval is throwing a fit about it and wants it broken up into 25k chunks to avoid that....

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

And it won't be uniformed after

Enjoy having different ghosts for different models and all

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    So one of the programs under the agency I work for wants to replace every laptop, buy a shit ton of monitors, and bunch of docking stations so everything is uniformed, and now that she knows it's going to be about 75k for everything and that means going to the board of supervisors for approval is throwing a fit about it and wants it broken up into 25k chunks to avoid that....
    Welcome to the government system. We have tiers for everything, buying/selling/trashing/etc. To do anything above a certain number things have to get bid out. It is such a pain in the ass. We almost always buy in chunks when the order isn't massive to avoid all that. Once it gets about 500k+ we start bidding, otherwise we split. Nothing like putting a bid out and getting every kid working out of their homes sending you their bid, hand written, thinking they can handle 3k desktop/laptops.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Ardrial, as long as you have some basic understanding and know "how to google properly", you're fine ^^
    How goes the (IT) saying: You don't have to know everything, you just have to know someone who knows or where to find it (aka google )

I started off as the one in my family that gets asked to set up/explain anything only barely technical (from toaster to laptop...) and had no clue about server environments, and today I'm fixing tons of user (and server) problems each day ^^

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Ehh it still will as it would still be ordered within the same couple of months. They are a bunch of special snowflakes and want everything different than the rest of the agency. Drives me insane as I am the only helpdesk for about 100 employees.

Oh and before I made them buy a hdd duplicator and spare drives for images, they never even kept images of the systems (some of which are about 10 years old now). I'm essentially rebuilding the IT department.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Ardrial, as long as you have some basic understanding and know "how to google properly", you're fine ^^
    How goes the (IT) saying: You don't have to know everything, you just have to know someone who knows or where to find it (aka google )

I started off as the one in my family that gets asked to set up/explain anything only barely technical (from toaster to laptop...) and had no clue about server environments, and today I'm fixing tons of user (and server) problems each day ^^
    This is how I got into it. I was good at finding answers and basic logical trouble shooting techniques but no experience with servers. My work sent me to OS X boot camp after I was hired and the rest I am learning along the way.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Yeah, me too, suddenly one day I was an IT-manager, still doing the fake it until I make it thing xD

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Ardrial View Post
    I consider myself to be tech savy and it's a dream of mine to have a job like the ones you guys have. My problem? I know VERY LITTLE about networking, servers, etc.

I'm good with software and hardware troubleshooting. But with the way the world is going, everything is going to be online and networking will just continue to get more important.

I tried to major in computer engineering in college but I really didn't like coding at all. is there any luck for me to learn this. Every time I read into network troubleshooting, it's all Greek to me.
    LEARN LINUX.

I'm not joking. Google, Amazon, Apple, all their clouds are based on Linux. If you go into an interview and can actually talk about times you have used linux and why, you are way ahead of everyone that has only touched Windows.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Built an excel spreadsheet (yes yes i know but that's what people wanted) to replace a word document so everything can be encapsulated into a file via tabs, rather than multiple pages and/or word documents

Handed it over to the team, with a suggestion that spell check doesn't happen automatically and whether I should add a spell check button. Got told by my superiors not to because it will complicate users (lol)

4 months down the line and I've washed my hands of it, the spreadsheet has undergone more additions. In the latest edition I noticed a spell check button. Whoever did that got praised for it being a good idea.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Sounds like a OneNote file would be perfect for them.

On Monday an important server locked up 3 times. While rebuilding the RAID. Bye bye server! Glad it wasn't mine.

One of the hosts in my VDI environments went down yesterday. Cluster of about 20 ESXi's. Shouldn't be a problem, but that host was the one that controlled the replica for over 300 desktops. My environment completed deletes and recreates desktops every night. The host went down before 2am (Right before most of the hosts rebuild) so i came back to work with 543,544 errors on my horizon screen. It's been trying to rebuild all the desktops using a replica that isn't there.... Good thing i get in about 2 hours before everyone else or yesterday would of sucked..... Time to take better look at my rule set...

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I know this is a fail thread but we don't have a random IT work win thread so I wanted to post it here. I helped one of our guests with a tech related issue last week (I work for a hotel type company so we have guests) and randomly today the guest stopped by my office and gave me a brand new 3tb apple airport time capsule as a thank you gift for helping them. I was taken aback by their generosity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag