Sargatanas

humm, doesn't nirsoft have some stuff for that? can't recall

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Well, one program that should be able to "catch them all" () is license crawler. It's only free for personal usage, but the license fees aren't that high when you consider how much trouble it can save you...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Used connectwise as well at my last job; it's pretty nice now. I used HEAT at a previous few jobs as well, and it sucks donkeyballs.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

HEAT is pretty aids, my company just phased it out for Service Now. I'm happier with that system however I wish it didn't depend so much on cached data, you can bring everything to a crawl running a deep search for yourself.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Well, one program that should be able to "catch them all" () is license crawler. It's only free for personal usage, but the license fees aren't that high when you consider how much trouble it can save you...
    Doesn't work for at least office 2016 sadly

BG Level

Fucking Lenovo servers

Had to update the BMC firmware that was like 3 years old 16.10 to 34.00 which went fine. But wheni try to login in the BMC it says The number of session has been reached.

Search the web, i have to reboot the whole server........ urgh

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

can't find any of my code from the Roguelike I had running about a year ago :/

blah. I'm sure it's somewhere. and I would have had to rework a lot of it anyway, so maybe I'll just start from scratch. but man, even if I just had it for reference that would be nice... I might have to keep hunting. I could SWEAR I emailed it to myself...

in any case, this is why we git, people. this is why we fucking git.

BG Level

Job has an old machine that is on Windows XP. and that machine is used for UPS orders only, but sadly needs Internet access (yuk). Boss told me they will change that PC if they find old semi working PC.

Fast forward to yesterday, found an old PC. 4GB ram Windows 7 dual core, and slow as shit. Perfect for that UPS machine that is used max 1h per day.

Tell my boss the plan, and she reject it badly. Ask why

'We will need that PC for production soon I plan to hire'
    'You're not gonna put a Dual core PC in prodction? That PC is like 8 years old' (Just a number i threw like that)
    'OF course we're not gonna buy a new PC when we have one here'

Need to bring this to the higher up ....

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Job has an old machine that is on Windows XP. and that machine is used for UPS orders only, but sadly needs Internet access (yuk). Boss told me they will change that PC if they find old semi working PC.

Fast forward to yesterday, found an old PC. 4GB ram Windows 7 dual core, and slow as shit. Perfect for that UPS machine that is used max 1h per day.

Tell my boss the plan, and she reject it badly. Ask why

'We will need that PC for production soon I plan to hire'
    'You're not gonna put a Dual core PC in prodction? That PC is like 8 years old' (Just a number i threw like that)
    'OF course we're not gonna buy a new PC when we have one here'

Need to bring this to the higher up ....
    This is one of the main reasons computers get tossed asap. We only keep about 10% of older computers, and we keep them in pieces for spare parts so people don't think we have a ton of PC's and they never have to buy more.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    This is one of the main reasons computers get tossed asap. We only keep about 10% of older computers, and we keep them in pieces for spare parts so people don't think we have a ton of PC's and they never have to buy more.
    This is the proper answer; get rid of old computers before someone gets any ideas, then when they ask for something "we don't have any. old ones, will have to order a new one.."
    Your users can never know how much you risk for them.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Time to share a few my friend has shared to me.

Friend finishes setting up a scanner for an employee.
    Client: So if I want to scan something, do I print it out first and then scan it?
    Friend attempts to explain that she doesn't. Client is even more confused. Friend gives up and gives her the go-ahead to scan documents she just printed.

Another situation with a different client.
    Client: My computer died and won't turn on anymore.
    Friend: Are your monitors on?
    Client: Yeah, it says press ctrl+alt+del to logon

And the same client a day later calls stating: "The 190 icons on my desktop have disappeared."

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    This is the proper answer; get rid of old computers before someone gets any ideas, then when they ask for something "we don't have any. old ones, will have to order a new one.."
    YEah won't work like that here, boss is crazier then expected and checks everything. She checks the inventory and make sure it's all set

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Oh no, this magnet slipped out of my pocket and this rock somehow ended up on the mobo.

Sorry.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Client: So if I want to scan something, do I print it out first and then scan it?
    Friend attempts to explain that she doesn't. Client is even more confused. Friend gives up and gives her the go-ahead to scan documents she just printed.
    That is sooooooo cute!

Yeah sometimes I just let people do whatever they want if it's not ground breaking. This is one of them if I cannot explain.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Time to share a few my friend has shared to me.

This feels apt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    YEah won't work like that here, boss is crazier then expected and checks everything. She checks the inventory and make sure it's all set
    I assume you've already brought up the risk of data loss with a main drive that old. You may have more success bringing up the energy cost -- going from a 300watt Core2Duo system to a 45watt i3 NUC will pay for itself in a year, sooner if you're in an area with expensive electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by gattsuru View Post
    I assume you've already brought up the risk of data loss with a main drive that old. You may have more success bringing up the energy cost -- going from a 300watt Core2Duo system to a 45watt i3 NUC will pay for itself in a year, sooner if you're in an area with expensive electricity.
    I always find it funny in government work, where the budget is all cut up and people only care about their own. You can say shit like this, "Upgrading not only helps the user experience, but you will save XXX a year in energy cost

And you will get the respond, "Not going to use my budget to help someone else's"

And it is this shit that makes me hate the way government is setup.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    I always find it funny in government work, where the budget is all cut up and people only care about their own. You can say shit like this, "Upgrading not only helps the user experience, but you will save XXX a year in energy cost

And you will get the respond, "Not going to use my budget to help someone else's"

And it is this shit that makes me hate the way government is setup.
    my boss atm is saving cost today not in the long term

And sadly it will make him look good, because the higher you go, the less they look ahead.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Oh they look ahead all right, just not much further than the next quarterly financial statement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag