BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Wut
    What I meant if I understood your situation correctly

On your wifi AP put 2 ssid. Exemple. Work and public

Tag the public wifi on the ap

Then on the switch set 1 vlan for work ( same as your pc vlan) and 1 vlan tag for the wifi ( all on 1 port)

Then make a 2nd port tagged on the wifi vlan that goes in your firewall and configure stuff accordingly

So then when people will join public wifi they will get an ip Exemple 192.168.0.x and when they join work wifi they get 192.168.1.x ( same as lan pc).

That way both networks are separate and don't need to bridge and Mac filter.

( that is if I understood the situation)

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I don't think his Sonicwall supports VLANs, if I'm understanding correctly. That would make sense to me, our Sonicwall is full of well-intentioned garbage too.

BG Level

Depending what type of sonicwall i guess

https://support.software.dell.com/kb/sw12076

Or you can just go with real switches like Junipers :D

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post
    I don't think his Sonicwall supports VLANs, if I'm understanding correctly. That would make sense to me, our Sonicwall is full of well-intentioned garbage too.
    Egh, Sonicwall is good and all, but yeah it has short comings and can be annoying at times. It is an NSA240, and we used to have two running before I got there. One was supporting the VLAN traffic I was told and someone threw it all into one NSA240 and kept the other for a backup with the config of the other on it in case it goes down. It is however not too far from its traffic limits, and I can see that one being brought back.

Anyway, the reason it was bridged was at the recommendation of Sonicwall. As far as the setup I believe there are 4 or 5 VLANs tagged to an HP Procurve switch, and a couple of others supporting other traffic. LAN, Guest WLAN, VOIP phones, and I want to say the door intercoms are on one, but I don't remember the last one or two offhand.

Juniper Routers? We are not AT&T here Some Cisco routers would do us just fine, but I had no hand in picking the hardware we are using (another before I was here moment), and at the moment I am not running to ask for any changes.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Egh, Sonicwall is good and all, but yeah it has short comings and can be annoying at times. It is an NSA240, and we used to have two running before I got there. One was supporting the VLAN traffic I was told and someone threw it all into one NSA240 and kept the other for a backup with the config of the other on it in case it goes down. It is however not too far from its traffic limits, and I can see that one being brought back.

Anyway, the reason it was bridged was at the recommendation of Sonicwall. As far as the setup I believe there are 4 or 5 VLANs tagged to an HP Procurve switch, and a couple of others supporting other traffic. LAN, Guest WLAN, VOIP phones, and I want to say the door intercoms are on one, but I don't remember the last one or two offhand.

Juniper Routers? We are not AT&T here Some Cisco routers would do us just fine, but I had no hand in picking the hardware we are using (another before I was here moment), and at the moment I am not running to ask for any changes.
    Cisco gear is expensive and SmartNet isn't cheap either, which tends to turn some companies away. I have to wonder if there's not a huge element of "paying for the name" going on with Cisco, but that being said, we've had not one single issue with any Cisco gear we've ever owned at my company.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Are you guys going with Vmware View? Any hardware to lower the login times? Atlantis is pretty impressive.
    Yes we use View. We have a powershell script that will autorun view (Making normal computers work as a zero client, and Zero clients for the rest). The login time i've gotten around 10 seconds from when they put in their password using Profile Unity (This was forced on me (Person i replaced bought it right before leaving) but it isn't that bad). Think of it like normal roaming profiles, but you can pick and choose what people are allowed to carry over. If it wasn't for Lotus Notes (Fuck LN btw, i hate it so very much) and it's emojis that people "NEED", the logins would be amazing.

I only have one user who doesn't like the login times (Takes about 30 seconds) and that is because she has over 3 gigs of emjoi's that she uses for sametime.

Edit: On a side note, i've never had my own office before (Normally share a big room with a few other IT people). I never noticed just how loud some of these servers can get (Poweredge R730) in small rooms. It's like there is a fucking jet in here with me.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Loud servers? Tell me about it...
    Our current (blade) servers are SO loud, when the door of the server room in the basement is open you can hear them in the stairway of the 1st floor (or for 'mericans it would probably be the 2nd floor)...
    Reason for most of the noise: each of the units of the redundant PSU has 2 fans with 2-3cm diameter that always spin at full speed...
    You can probably guess how happy we were when one of them had to be moved to our office rooms for testing purposes... <.<

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Cisco gear is expensive and SmartNet isn't cheap either, which tends to turn some companies away. I have to wonder if there's not a huge element of "paying for the name" going on with Cisco, but that being said, we've had not one single issue with any Cisco gear we've ever owned at my company.
    I assumed this is the reason we have HP switches. Kewlly enough the CLI is very similar to Cisco equipment.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

One of the internet connections at my work to the outside world went down on Sunday due to equipment failure. No inbound emails or wireless internet on our property for two days. Now I am on the phone with google making sure that our email routing from outside sources won't be broken once we bring up the replacement equipment.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    One of the internet connections at my work to the outside world went down on Sunday due to equipment failure. No inbound emails or wireless internet on our property for two days. Now I am on the phone with google making sure that our email routing from outside sources won't be broken once we bring up the replacement equipment.
    How are their hold times?

So I was at a loss for why this piece of shit XP laptop we have (they wanted me to put 7 on it for the warehouse) was not viewing wireless networks. The adapter wasn't disabled or anything. It has not even been turned on for about two years so yippie-skippie lets bring it back into service.

After a good 10 minutes of frustration I lean to kick back and, and see there is a physical switch for wifi underneath the front. It was a right triangle design where the lip hangs over in the front of it so it was impossible to see looking down or straight at the device. Needless to say I feel like a moron (inb4 "u R"), but honestly who designs a switch for wifi at a 90 degree angle underneath the face of something?

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Google is fast. Was talking to a person within 1 minute of getting through the automated phone system. Figured out how to set up a primary ip for inbound mail traffic and a secondary inbound ip address for redundancy. No more outages dammit!

BG Level

It shouldn't be broken if it uses the same IP

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

It shouldn't be broken if it uses the same IP
    We had our outbound traffic going through one public ip (for mail) and inbound traffic using a different public ip. One of the public ip's failed (the one being used for inbound traffic) so I set it up so outbound and inbound use both ips with a primary and secondary fail over system. All is well now. Now I just have to go through and recover emails from purgatory one account at a time. (Google spam filtering sucks for this. There is no admin console or general "deliver all again" command or anything for emails that get lost/stuck in the system.)

BG Level

ah well GL! fun times!

On the other fail from the same new guy, he took 2h to change a PC name and remove + put it back on the domain.

Can't wait to talk with my boss tomorrow

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

ah well GL! fun times!

On the other fail from the same new guy, he took 2h to change a PC name and remove + put it back on the domain.

Presumably if he renamed it without removing/readding it to the domain, it would have instead taken him a speedy 75 minutes.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

ah well GL! fun times!

Wow.

Could hire me instead

We would have a great time.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Someone asked me about
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/1TB-inch-Int...rds=wd+3.5+1tb

I just said "sure why not" (I didn't bother reviewing the prices and other spots but I believe he got some vouchers to burn). It's WD and I'm rather loyal to them (all my HDs are WD). And WD (colour) is their newest line of drives.

It wasn't for him either but he installed it, and something something melted the power cable to it and the hard drive itself set on fire and burned. The back of the hard drive has a massive burn mark on it.

He told Amazon and now Amazon has temporarily ceased selling it lol; there's currently a warning:

ITEM UNDER REVIEW

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page.
    edit: fixed formatting

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

FYI black text on superior settings is barely readable.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I must've pasted and the formatting remained. Fixing.

edit: fixed

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Google is fast. Was talking to a person within 1 minute of getting through the automated phone system. Figured out how to set up a primary ip for inbound mail traffic and a secondary inbound ip address for redundancy. No more outages dammit!
    I'll second Googles helpdesk speed. At one point we migrated almost 10 school districts to google. About 200,000 Accounts (AD, E-mail migration, etc). It was almost too easy to do with their integration tools and API's. The few times i had a problem (One being an account limit that stopped us at 20,000 accounts) i was talking with a live person within a minute of hitting the number. And i never once had someone that didn't know how to fix the issue. I should also note that it was someone in America that picked up the phone (Not to say that makes them better, the VMware guys know their shit).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag