+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Enabled Bitlocker on some new laptops that are being issued due to HIPAA requirements. Had a user come in monday, turned on her laptop, and bam, wanted the unlock key. Had the key on a flash drive and it was fucking corrupted. Had to give her a new laptop and just got done reimaging the old one.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

May want to look into doing some kind of key management database. Being in the medical field myself, we maintain a DB with the decryption keys for all encrypted servers/devices so that just such a thing doesn't happen.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    The fun thing about wsus and windows 10. It will fail, a lot. And if you try to do the larger version upgrades, like => 1607 or 1703, it will fail even more! enjoy :D
    The worse thing atm is that Windows 10 1607 doesnt even detect normal updates like hte 2017-05 may update from WSUS 2kR2 lol

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

More of a Corporation fail, but it has to do with tech so I'm putting it here. I'm working for one of the "big 3" insurance companies. First day at the new agency was today. We only have two scanners and one laser printer. When asked about it I was told, "Corp only gives us x amount of things for 'free'. If we want more we have to rent them each month. We cannot go buy our own equipment." So at my desk I have this massive inkjet printer. Not a three in one, just a printer. Stupid. Also, no wifi at all, even though a few of the other printers are wifi capable. Why? "Too much of a security risk". WTF.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Raging hard today. I don't like to rage really.

Background: I'm a network engineer route/switch/wireless. I work for a ProServ company that also has a sales side.

New Project comes in for new vendor who is becoming a focus partner (we'll just call them Afuba). No one informs engineers of new vendor who is becoming focus partner. So new project already rolling, they are upgrading controller and APs and need config on new controller to mirror existing setup. They wanna put new controllers on the network in tandem with existing controller for testing. Sales: "It's wireless right? Just give it to the wireless guys". There are 2 wireless guys, I am one of them.

Project lands in my task list for new vendor for which neither of us are familiar with. Statement of Work written by vendor.

Surprise configuration and deployment is taking longer than expected.

Surprise, you can't export the config from the old controllers and import them to the new controllers and update IPs ect, because of different OS. Requires clean config.

Surprise, new vendor has various solutions for APs that we've never encountered before, and a whole bunch of new acronyms: RAPs/CAPs/IAPs.

Surprise, for whatever special snowflake reason their configuration process is the opposite of all other vendors I know (Ruckus, Meraki, Cisco, Aerohive).

Surprise, APs take FOREVER to boot, we're talking like 15mins-ish to boot. They must reboot several times during config and OS updates.

Configured port channel on the controllers with a native vlan and allowed vlan.
    Client: "New controllers not coming up on the network". Ended up having to t-shoot their switch side, Port-channel was missing native vlan 10, which is supposed to be for management. They are too scared to change the port channel on the fly to config native 10, gotta wait till after 5. I end up changing the native to 1 on the controller side just to get them online (i never use 1 for management). Client looking at me/us like we crazy and don't know what we're doing. They're partially correct when it comes to this vendor.

Client: "Our old RAPs (Remote Access Point, basically the AP is a VPN client) are joining the new controllers".
    Me: Impossible.
    Client: But I saw them.
    Me: Impossible, old RAPs don't know about the new controllers. Don't know the new WAN IP to reach the new controllers. Don't know the IP address of the new controllers (they don't broadcast discovery message). IKE secret is different on new controllers. Old APs are not whitelisted for RAPs. Literally impossible.
    T-Shoot reveals APs are actually local to the office and are not at remote sites. The APs are named; "RAP1, RAP2, ect". /eyeroll.

Can't wait for this lessons learned meeting (if I ever make it to the end of this project).

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Apparently us, as well as some sister sites, have a new piece of equipment that includes an android tablet as a remote control surface. Tablet loads the program automatically and there's no front-facing way to get at the rest of the system. Said tablet also included ES File Explorer which apparently just started having all kinds of suspicious network traffic to China and Russia.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I worked IT for 15 years. Quit my job to run my martial arts school full time at the beginning of this year.

This thread gives me constant reasons why I'm happy with this decision!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

If you nerds are interested a Lunix Humble Bundle is currently up.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I feel like this lately:

People typically play with cats using laser pointers in a way that frustrates and teases cats. Laser players usually point and dance the beams randomly on the floors and walls for their cats to chase. Certain of a successful catch, they pounce only to find there is nothing under their paws. The bright red dot disappears, or it lingers on the wall or settles for an instant on a paw. Cats are left frustrated, without the opportunity to feel the tactile sensation of their hard-earned prey. Felines need to have the satisfaction of the hunt — to catch and feel their prey beneath their paws.

Basically, for a small string of ticket these days that I assist users with, typically when I turn up at their desk, even if it's a freshly (within 1 hour) problem, it goes away when I turn up. Then I get thanked and praised for doing nothing lol; the users enjoys me having there regardless for the social aspect so I ultimately don't mind, and we always have a laugh about it.

As good as it is that I don't need to do anything, I do feel (not seriously) frustrated lol. The problem (prey) escaped!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Gremlins, it's always gremlins.

Went to take apart my tv a couple weeks ago since it was having backlight issues but wanted to try to see if there was anything obviously burnt out in there or how difficult it might be to fix. Parts for it are actually not that expensive, where a new tv of this model is around $200, just the service parts would have been like $20-$80 or so, depending on the problem (boards super cheap, backlights expensive). Dusted off the boards (with a cloth), reseated some of the connections and cables (there were a couple zero force ones that felt wonky), and gave it power while it was naked: backlight led strips all came on without issue.

Fuck man, I was almost looking forward to trying my hand at fixing it but the backlights have been fine ever since.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Through a series of circumstances starting with the extreme winter I am now suddenly the sole server and network administrator at my work. There is less end user support now but good grief I am in a sink or swim situation as networking isn't my strongest skill.

At least my manager got us all set up on Cisco Meraki hardware before he retired so that really helps make it easier. I really need to learn more about networking though.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Had to remote in at 6am this morning because our antivirus (seemingly) crashed a critical playout engine.

A question though... when I RDP in it logs me in as a second instance of administrator. Years ago I think someone told me there was a switch that could be used that would prevent that from happening but for the life of me I can't find it. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Had to remote in at 6am this morning because our antivirus (seemingly) crashed a critical playout engine.

A question though... when I RDP in it logs me in as a second instance of administrator. Years ago I think someone told me there was a switch that could be used that would prevent that from happening but for the life of me I can't find it. Any ideas?
    It sounds like you're referring to a console session. I haven't had to do that in a long time (or if I have, I log in via the vmware consolse instead of RDP), but it looks like, depending on your version of windows, you would use /console or /admin. But it appears that was removed from Server 2012.
    https://serverfault.com/questions/67...ssion-with-rdp

Maybe look into shadowing a session? Also removed, but it looks like you can work around it.
    http://windowsitpro.com/windows-serv...2-command-line

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Obiron View Post
    It sounds like you're referring to a console session. I haven't had to do that in a long time (or if I have, I log in via the vmware consolse instead of RDP), but it looks like, depending on your version of windows, you would use /console or /admin. But it appears that was removed from Server 2012.
    https://serverfault.com/questions/67...ssion-with-rdp

Maybe look into shadowing a session? Also removed, but it looks like you can work around it.
    http://windowsitpro.com/windows-serv...2-command-line
    Thanks for giving me something to work with ... I'll check all of that out.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i forgot about this thread. does cable tv repair call center count as IT work? cos oh man, my customers. I mean really all I do is manage the interface between human being and giant corporate entity... and between human derp and perfectly functional cable box. so plenty of fails to share.

off the top of my head example, lady calls in. don't remember what her problem was, but I had it fixed in 3 minutes. she then proceeds to spend 2 more minutes telling me how important her minutes are because shes on a metered cell phone.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

One of our customers got a new/faster SDSL connection today and they "forgot" to tell us in advance. So the technician on site calls us because he expected to have someone from IT available. He tells me that everything is wired and tested outside of the patch closet and I'll just have to place it inside somewhere and call their hotline so they can transfer IP and routing information from the old to the new connection.
    I arrive on site, move the hardware inside the closet and wire it up again, everything looks OK. Call the hotline, the guy on the other end has no idea what I'm talking about, takes several minutes to find some records for the customer and puts me on hold to talk to the "project manager". After a bit he tells me the PM said everything on the provider side is finished and it should be just a "client thing", so basically plug in new connection and it should work.
    I replace the old with the new connection on the firewall, and nothing works... After a few minutes of troubleshooting and complaints from the customer because their EC terminals didn't work I plug in the old conn again, make sure it still works and call the hotline again.
    The guy this time is basically the complete opposite of the first one... He asks for the device ID on the new router, finds the customer pretty fast and tells me just about the same thing as the technician. Puts me on hold to transfer me to the right department. That dude walks me right through unplugging/turning off the old router, power-cycling the new one, and it works within 3 minutes.

Why can't all hotline folks be like that second guy...

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I can answer that! If my experience is any indication, the call center likely has a boatload of conflicting information floating around. So tje first guy didnt know the answer, asked someone, likely his next level of support, who either misunderstood or had wrong information. Combined with how long it took to pull up the account, id wager he was new, to boot.

Alternatively, first guy has been there forever and doesnt read any update material and/or doesnt give a shit. You proba ly hurt his stats by calling back in, though.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

every time I log into my school's website, clicking any link will automatically log me back out. I can log in on my phone but that's it - any PC will cause this problem.

I emailed support, and after "cache + cookies" (no help) they told me "this is a problem with the date/time settings on your computer. please call us and reference this ticket # and we will remote into your PC to fix the issue"

so... uh... that can't possibly be right, can it?

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

So I've been at my new job for about 8 weeks now. The web based portion of our systems has in some fashion failed/crashed/something around four or so times. The system that uses a dos like program that looks like it hasn't been updated since 1982 hasn't had one issue ever. I hate the latter so much but damn it it's never going away...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    every time I log into my school's website, clicking any link will automatically log me back out. I can log in on my phone but that's it - any PC will cause this problem.

I emailed support, and after "cache + cookies" (no help) they told me "this is a problem with the date/time settings on your computer. please call us and reference this ticket # and we will remote into your PC to fix the issue"

so... uh... that can't possibly be right, can it?
    It can occasionally screw with things, especially if they're trying to make the connection/login secure in some fashion. Make sure time is synced and time zone is correct. I once ran into an issue like that many years back until I installed a different program to sync time when windows just wasn't feeling like it. Could also try different browsers, like opera, chrome, firefox, IE/edge (if school shit, it's usually IE11 or chrome they write it for, but ask what to use).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag