+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Rant time.

A few years back we had a SPA template someone made to help us make everything "easier" when building internal webapps. However nothing about this template could be considered easy because of all the dependencies this thing needed just to function. Hell you needed to run around 3 node.js commands just to generate the necessary files to get the home page to load properly. And this was a sentiment shared by everyone on the team that had to deal with this template except the person who made it. Thankfully the moment he left the company we axed the template and buried it in a shallow grave.

Cut to last week where this damn thing came back from the grave because my boss asked me to look into moving a project I made using it over to our new infrastructure. You'd think since it was already built it wouldn't be that much of an issue but since node has been updated a lot since this thing was built I ran into issues with one of the required libraries called gulp.js not working with my current version of node. So I decide to upgrade gulp to the latest version and that's when hell hits. First it was complaining the gulpfile.js file (which you manually write) wasn't working because nothing was asynchronous in there which is true so I try to make all the functions that and get past that error but learn nothing is building. So after having enough I try to rewrite this from scratch and add into it function-by-function with success until I hit a wall where on of the functions is calling another function to build a variable and pass that into a pipe and that's causing an error that makes no sense to me. It's saying "dest.on" is not a function and all I can make with the limited information I can find is the variable isn't a stream.

I tell my boss this and it would be easier to just say "fuck it" to this entire application but of course I need to "figure it out because of the other applications we need to move over" even though nobody here knows what the hell any of these damn libraries are for. I've even asked the 2 most knowledgeable on our team with web programming about this and they're even at a loss.

Anyway rant over. Sorry if that didn't make much sense but this thing is the biggest pain in the ass I have ever worked with.

While still in school and doing internships, i ran into something like that. It was the reason I stopped bothering with the programming path and went right into system engineering/Security.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    While still in school and doing internships, i ran into something like that. It was the reason I stopped bothering with the programming path and went right into system engineering/Security.
    Don't get me wrong, I do love being a developer but shit like this is what makes it so frustrating. Especially with Javascript since it feels like the rules for that change every few years.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Never trust à développer

Especially with dns zones

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I am trying to install Azure AD connect on a windows server 2012 R2 and I get an error to upgrade .NET framework. So I go to upgrade .NET and I get an error “Access Denied”. Anyone have any ideas? Yes I am logged in as an administrator it never prompts me for credentials.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    I am trying to install Azure AD connect on a windows server 2012 R2 and I get an error to upgrade .NET framework. So I go to upgrade .NET and I get an error “Access Denied”. Anyone have any ideas? Yes I am logged in as an administrator it never prompts me for credentials.
    Just to make sure: So it's the actual .net installatation that fails? did you go the add features route or just download from MS web? Could try forcerunning the installation as admin

A lot of times it is best to jump into a command prompt with "Run as admin" and then execute commands and installers from there.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    A lot of times it is best to jump into a command prompt with "Run as admin" and then execute commands and installers from there.
    Exchange updates a notorious for that

Anytime i'm dealing with exchange or SQL shit, i don't even bother trying the installer the normal way.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Just to make sure: So it's the actual .net installatation that fails? did you go the add features route or just download from MS web? Could try forcerunning the installation as admin
    I downloaded .NET 4.7.1 directly from Microsofts website and ran the .exe while logged into an admin account. I can try forcerunning the installation as an admin but I feel like that might not work as the error pops up after the .exe is already running and the installation starts.

So the first step that I tried is to install the Azure AD connect software and it gave me the error that I needed to have .NET v4.7.1 or newer installed. So I went and tried to install .NET and ran into a generic "Access Denied" error. I guess I only have about 35 accounts to manage for this client so I could scrap the sync and just manually create the same accounts in the Azure AD server but I would much rather get sync working.

The only other thing I can think of is... do you have secondary drives on this server/node?

It is a rare error, but sometimes these installers attempt to use secondary drives to do things and swing that error around. To get around it, temporarily unmount the drives to hide them. Run the installer and see if you get the error with just the C drive available.

Past that, we need error logs to figure out the issue.

BG Level

did you download the installer on a folder redirection folder?

Because if you did, run as will probably not work depending on the folder redirection folder permissions

Just to be safe create a folder like temp in the root of the C drive, put the installer there and try again

Try this too

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tro...ramework-fails

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Check that you don't have some folder access issues,

I am not sure I understand this " I guess I only have about 35 accounts to manage for this client so I could scrap the sync and just manually create the same accounts in the Azure AD server but I would much rather get sync working. " statement properly, but this is probably a terribad idea depending on the objective of your setup. When using any kind of account sync or seamless solution when dealing with a hybrid structure the local DC/forest is authorative, you set an attribute, these days usually
    MS-DS-Consistency-Guid to have an unique immutable ID (sourceanchor) for an object. Seamless/Single sign-on will go out the window (probably) and I doubt intune will cooperate very well, and even if the core setup/requirements now isn't superheavy, it'll be a pain later if they want the full hybrid benefits. Unless you can talk them into moving everything to full cloud instead.

I am fairly certain Azure AD Connect doesn't like 2012 R2 though, the server it is installed on needs to be 2016 unless my memory serves me, and it needs to be a writeable dc. But this wouldn't affect your .net install

BG Level

It took about 4 weeks but I finally got that legacy app I ranted about up and building locally after 2 weeks of constant npm package vulnerability issues. Now I just need to work with the system admins to resolve build server issues after dealing with a second batch of compliance training for this quarter due next week.

BG Level

Does a giant project to migration 200 AD distribution list to Office 365 during the weekend
    Took me 10h to go, send a good report to the customer

Fastfoward to today, client send me giant email to complain about some issues from the migration and they require explanation ASAP, while that their boss sends an email to my boss asking that I get ejected from the project from incompetence

So I get a call from the account manager, project manager to ask WTF is going on, tell them to chill and give me time to analyse the email and etc

2h after I prepare a giant email explaining every point 1 by 1 about why its a non issue, like one is a bug on a new feature they decided to go with anyway, now they bitch its bugged

They wonder why a list doesn't exist anymore, while I show them a email that they send me to rename that said list to another one a few months ago

Anyway I politely crush them on every point 1 by 1

The account manager and project manager are like WTF are they complaining about.

Still waiting for an email from the customer with either apologies or something (P.S it won't happen)

Fucking hate when people try to ruin my credibility with stupid shit

BG Level

Good news!

Yay I passed my MS-100 exam! on the MS-101

Bad news
    Ill have to fight for my raise

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Grats on the first part at least :D

BG Level

This is depressing

So our big customer is in a datacenter where that datacenter has to do an internet maintenance that will affect lots of different compagnies between midnight and 6AM but only for 30minutes

client ask us to call the datacenter and to cancel the maintenance as they refuse to be down during night time as lots of scripts and data transfer occur during that time

<tell them we are more important>

fk i hate this job sometimes

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

That shit will never stop being funny. When I first transferred, one of the first complaints about me was that I wouldn't drop everything I was doing and spend hours attempting a virus removal on their laptop when I told them if I can't fix it in 15 minutes, I'm wiping it due to all the work I'm doing and they threw a shit fit to their manager.

They changed their tune 3 weeks later when I gave an anti theft speech and did my introduction and included for emphasis every program I support and they realized I actually support more than just that one individual program.

BG Level

The good news? The coworker I hate is leaving us the end of the month.

The bad news? I need to go back to general incident support.

The worse news? I realize I'm working on some of their tickets right now that were made way back in summer so I can only imagine what fresh hell awaits me at handoff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag