+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I found the issue, it was thenfsilover cluster problem

It was eating all the drives, I just removed the node from the cluster then was able to add the drive, then I readded the server to the cluster

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

My laptop completely shit the bed.

Went from being super fast to dead slow with a bunch of lag trying to do the most menial tasks.

It's ~4-5 years old so I definitely got my use out of it, but its speed difference is night and day.

I'm guessing the hard drive is dying? Any other ideas?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Check for a recent update? Mine does the same thing when Microsoft tries to push a certain update to it. I just uninstall it, block it, and everything's fine again.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Botosi View Post
    My laptop completely shit the bed.

Went from being super fast to dead slow with a bunch of lag trying to do the most menial tasks.

It's ~4-5 years old so I definitely got my use out of it, but its speed difference is night and day.

I'm guessing the hard drive is dying? Any other ideas?
    look at your memory consumption, I noticed a lot of our laptops not enjoying going from 1803 or below to 1809 or above of Windows, consuming all of the memory and then using the storage cache and slowing down markedly.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Correct power cable? Have a Dell work laptop aged 6+ years that was chugging when plugged in. Ended up being an HP power brick plugged in and completely shit the bed doing anything. It was still charging, but it ran better unplugged. Just a random shot in the dark.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

We've got a laptop that's in the field with a remote user. Yesterday, the laptop failed to power on, so we opened a service call on it with Lenovo (warranty, on-site coverage). Today the Lenovo tech arrived with the replacement parts. He opened the laptop, pulled the motherboard out, and confidently told the user, "Has anyone worked on your laptop lately? They STOLE your memory!" The user called us in a panic, and put us on the phone with the tech. He legit tried to tell us that the memory was missing from the machine so he couldn't do anything for the user.

Fuck's sake. The base memory in any modern laptop is soldered onto the board. The empty DIMM slot is for expansion.... Any tech worth a shit knows this.

Got to love the farmed out support to local tech companies. Most of the companies that do that kind of work just grab anyone off the street that can find a motherboard, pay them the least amount as possible, and give them an address.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

so the program i'm going to school for is Cyber Information Security. It seems pretty cool but my god it's a lot of technical stuff to take in all at once. Bopping around with you nerds has helped, though. For example, I already knew what RAID is from rata's earlier post, cos i got curious and looked it up.

i've been skirting around IT stuff for decades but taking the plunge is still pretty disorienting.

Good old' cybersecurity. The knowledge that no matter how well you plan and execute a near-perfect system, a user will figure out a way to fuck it up. Almost every security post review started with a user fucking up. Sadly, the better the security, the more likely it is someone high up on the chain, as those are the people that get special treatment.

GL with school, try your best to get on a cyber def team if they have it, as i learned more on that team in one year than i did in the program itself.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    so the program i'm going to school for is Cyber Information Security. It seems pretty cool but my god it's a lot of technical stuff to take in all at once. Bopping around with you nerds has helped, though. For example, I already knew what RAID is from rata's earlier post, cos i got curious and looked it up.

i've been skirting around IT stuff for decades but taking the plunge is still pretty disorienting.
    I just uploaded a 7 part Prep Course for the Cyber Security Analyst Certification (CySA+) for a few others on another thread. I have links if you're interested, about 2gb total while it is compressed.

I have about 35ish page of notes and not even fully through the first part yet. Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll PM you a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    Good old' cybersecurity. The knowledge that no matter how well you plan and execute a near-perfect system, a user will figure out a way to fuck it up. Almost every security post review started with a user fucking up. Sadly, the better the security, the more likely it is someone high up on the chain, as those are the people that get special treatment.
    Yea nearly every compromised system begins with a user failing to adhere to security policy by either installing a piece of malicious software, removing security software from their machine, plugging in an unknown hardware device, allow randos with fake badges at their work stations.

A popular fail at the system admin level is weak passwords. It doesn't matter if you use Enterprise WPA encryption if your password is the weak or worse, the default. If I can brute force your password in 2 minutes with a dictionary attack you're bad at your job.

WEP passwords can be cracked in 2 minutes with a 200 dollar laptop with Kali linux on it no matter what the password is, it doesn't brute force the password - my understanding is it extrapolates it from the password hash in the captured handshake.

Heard a story about a guy at a trade show who walked around collecting handfuls of USB drives from any vendor that had them. Went back to his hotel room, loaded them all with malware. Went back to the tradeshow and dropped the infected USBs into their respective buckets. Instant botnet, even if people don't grab yours right away those USBs are likely to float around until they DO get used by someone. And if the USB still functions as it should while doing its malicious work behind the scenes the user never even questions it.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i'd be interested in that. i think i remember reading this program results in Security+ certification but more certs are good imo.

thats bonkers. that dude would have gotten me- who expects a flash drive from a booth to have malware on it?

i'm hoping to end up working as a consultant type deal. set my own hours/workload and all that. but yeah, i definitely learn better on the job. i suspect this program is really only going to give me the basic fundamentals i need to understand wtf is going on at a job.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    i'd be interested in that. i think i remember reading this program results in Security+ certification but more certs are good imo.

thats bonkers. that dude would have gotten me- who expects a flash drive from a booth to have malware on it?

i'm hoping to end up working as a consultant type deal. set my own hours/workload and all that. but yeah, i definitely learn better on the job. i suspect this program is really only going to give me the basic fundamentals i need to understand wtf is going on at a job.
    Yea CySA+ combines aspects from Network+, Security+, and the material specific to CySA+. This prep course goes through all of that.

Some of it was review for me, but it was reviewed in more depth than I ever studied the content originally so it was very useful.

I'll send you a link now.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Could use it too thanks

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

While this is super old news this video is hilarious, extremely sad, and mildly infuriating for the fact people like this have jobs many of us would love to have. Bonus points for Bitwit acting like he's Chinese.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

The fail that keeps on giving.

Seriously did they grab some random for that? It's a miracle that thing even started given they put the power supply in the wrong way.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I looked him up and per his twitter he currently spams pokemon crap, his twitch, and other random stuff. Nothing really tech unless you count him reviewing some ear buds. Some sites have him listed as a freelance journalist. I didn't see anything pointing to how he got the job at The Verge or how he was chosen for that video. My guess is he probably knows someone and whatever is education level was at the time possibly played into it (maybe has an associates in something).

Everything surrounding the PSU was so bad. "Every power supply comes with a bag of cables" made me laugh. One guy said the PSU install made it a potential fire hazard. I'm actually curious on that. If it was a cheapo Raidmax or similar unit with the cheapest of guts absolutely. But would the high end Corsair unit catch fire?

When the video starts and he calls zip ties tweezers you just know you are in for a roller coaster of a ride.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Wouldn't surprise me if he knew someone on the inside. Most of these journalist sites are trash.

And oh god that thermal paste job is still cringe. Though the bigger question is if that system still works or if it overheated.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Haha holy shit that video is golden. I have never seen anything so bad. Though whats up with one of the guys reacting who said he built "probably 30" computers? That doesn't seem like very much to me...

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Haha holy shit that video is golden. I have never seen anything so bad. Though whats up with one of the guys reacting who said he built "probably 30" computers? That doesn't seem like very much to me...
    If it's what you do for a living or a side hustle 30 doesn't seem like much. For myself I can't put a definitive number on how many full builds I've done. My pcpartspicker account has 12 completed, but I had around six or so done before that account. I also haven't posted every time I did some upgrades to my main or rebuilding extra PCs I have in spare rooms. It's hard to put a number on how many builds I've done because I've tinkered with my main so many times doing upgrades here and there. And all the cases I tried out...

The entire "how to" was so bad I don't think an honest soul could claim it was a good video. The biggest thing to me was how Vox Media basically went after youtubers who criticized Stefan and he himself acting like a victim of harassment when it was really people just roasting him and he couldn't take it. It will never not amaze me how people cannot just own fault, apologize, and try to learn from it.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I want to know how they didn't vet the video and make sure it was factually correct before posting it. Like who allowed that shit to get through. It was painfully bad.

To add to the thread since I haven't posted an update here in a while: In November my wife gave birth. Which was great. The fail is that the IT manager at my work decided to resign and leave about a week before that happened so my coworker was by herself for 3 weeks while I was out. Then once I got back from paternity leave my coworker left for 3 weeks for a vacation because she was so burnt out so I was alone. Now we aren't getting a replacement manager and we are stuck as a two person IT team without any ability to cover vacations and sick time without incurring overtime. This is for a 24/7 business.

The last two months have been insanely busy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag