+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Not a work related one but FML buying a Bluetooth headset but forgetting my PC and TV don't have bluetooth support without an adapter

I wrote a small program to help our a few judges in my court, very customized to their needs. One of the judges apparently likes to blog about what he does and seems to have a pretty big following of other judges (There is a liveblog style thing for judges that only government employees can see). For the 1st time in years, i had my phone off over the weekend because of family events so i didn't want to check my phone every 5 seconds. I wake up this morning with over 100 e-mails from other courts, 23 Voicemails.... wanting my program.

Last time i do this shit for a judge. Can't just have nice things, has to go tell the world about it....

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I get not wanting to support a bunch of randos but that sounds like to opposite of a fail.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

The fail is I wrote it for my court in mind. So the fact that I have this much demand means my clerk is going to want me to "Help the other courts out". This means i have to go back in and re-write half of it in a generic manner so other programmers won't hate me when they adopted it to their court.

That, and as you said, randos will be calling me about XYZ.

Also... I'm not a programmer.... I HATE CODE. I dream about that shit at night if i code too much and it drives me up the wall.

BG Level

Out of curiosity what does it do and what language?

I can't go much into the details, but after reviewing certain documents there are a lot of steps the judges and his staff have to do after the review. I made so they could point to a certain doc, after reviewing, and hit a button. That would then perform all the tasks the staff normally would do. Because this system interacts with many different platforms it is a mix of C++ and PowerShell scripts.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

patent it and sell it?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    I dream about that shit at night if i code too much and it drives me up the wall.
    My dude, this is how I have solved many coding problems

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    patent it and sell it?
    LOL I wish. This was simple enough that another programmer could do it as well. We have two programmers at my court, but they focus on the bigger stuff that i won't touch.

Quote Originally Posted by djzombie View Post
    My dude, this is how I have solved many coding problems
    I can't tell you how often I would hit a wall and think of the solution at 2am sleeping. I would then get up to try it because once this happens i will not be able to get back to sleep unless i know it works or not. That is why i don't like to program (And changed my focus in college because of this), because i enjoy sleeping dammit. I work enough when i'm awake, I want my dreams to myself.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    LOL I wish. This was simple enough that another programmer could do it as well. We have two programmers at my court, but they focus on the bigger stuff that i won't touch.

I can't tell you how often I would hit a wall and think of the solution at 2am sleeping. I would then get up to try it because once this happens i will not be able to get back to sleep unless i know it works or not. That is why i don't like to program (And changed my focus in college because of this), because i enjoy sleeping dammit. I work enough when i'm awake, I want my dreams to myself.
    That behavior isn't exclusive to coding - I used to work 14-16 hour shifts in a bakery and then come home and dream that I was working in the bakery for 6-8 hours. It was awful. I would much rather actually be productive in my dreams instead of it being a second hell where nothing ever really get's accomplished.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah i haven't actually been to work since january and i still have the occasional dream about call center shenanigans.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

This so much. it's worst during the falling asleep phase, but the sheer amount of times I wake up in the middle of the night with the answer to some conundrum and need to get it implemented, or at least tested, before I can go back to sleep... xD
    (I don't code, I admin, but same shit, different wrapping! *hides*)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Reminds me of this

https://dilbert.com/strip/2002-08-03

Shit happens to me too, dreaming about the stress from the day before is the worst.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

BG Level

Working with .NET Core for the first time. Feels like a complete 180 from .NET Framework in some areas. Especially with configuration.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

This seems like the best place to ask...

Later this year I'm going to be tasked with bringing up a full suite of replacement servers (DHCP, fileshare, print server, etc) ... some dedicated, some virtual. I no dummy when it comes to computers but I've never been responsible for something like this before. I'll have some help from a project manager at corporate, but I'd like to spend some time now learning what I can, especially when it comes to best practices. Any suggestions on resources worth reading or checking out? I know that's a loaded question.

Satellite sites are really easy, especially if you have everything put in place already.

The main questions you need to ask yourself.

What is my bandwidth going to be like?
    How many users will use this site?
    How big are the files will the workers use?
    Will i want this to be a good Failover (DR) site?
    Do you already have other Satellite sites?
    Do you already use DFS/Namespaces?
    Will this site grow in the next 5 years? 10 years?
    Will there be a tech on site? If not, how will non-remote support work?

In many cases you want your satellite sites to be bare bones if it is small and not a DR. Less equipment means less support. The problem with random resources is everyone is different. You have to take all the above into account, then look at your budget and decide what you can and can't do. What you can do without and what you can't. There are so many variables, it's really hard to have a standard.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Ok I feel really stupid here

Server is a SuperMicro with a LSI2208 MegaRaid firmware version 3.460.115-6465

On it is a Windows 2016 installed

On the Raid controller there is a RAID1 of 2SSD which where used to install Windows 2016.

Now i created 2 new raids

1) with 2 SSD a raid 1 of about 300GB

2) with 4 HDD a raid 10 of about 3.6TB

The issue is that windows 2016 boot but refuse to detect the other 2 drives I do Scan disk or Rescan disk and they refuse to pop.

If i go to Device manager I see 3x SMC LSI2207 SCSI Disk Drive with a 2006 Microsoft Driver

tried to download this driver

[https://www.supermicro.com/wftp/driv...iver/Windows/)

but there is no 'widnows 2k16 driver' and when i try to W10 one it says that the latest one is installed

Any idea?

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I assume you use disk management for the scan disk etc.=?

Every time i've had issues with windows seeing a RAID drive, it was 100% of the time the RAID card causing the issue or a misconfiguration on the card itself.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag