BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhapsodies of Vana'diel     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ok then recently they said fudo was fine balanced by the fact that it relied on good att/def ratio but dagger ws need nerfed sorta implying they don't have similar needs. Then they talked about how non rudra dagger ws have huge multipliers which is far from true. Or when they updated elemental dmg from the testing I remember seeing it did some really weird stuff at negative dints which suggest to me it's not some simple table they input stuff into. Or just the weird interactions and bugs that come up here and there and it being such and old and redone system makes me doubtful there is some simple spreadsheet or something like that holding everything nice and neet. It's probably findable but would probably take a bit of digging and possibly help of people who don't work their no more

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Ok then recently they said fudo was fine balanced by the fact that it relied on good att/def ratio but dagger ws need nerfed sorta implying they don't have similar needs. Then they talked about how non rudra dagger ws have huge multipliers which is far from true. Or when they updated elemental dmg from the testing I remember seeing it did some really weird stuff at negative dints which suggest to me it's not some simple table they input stuff into. Or just the weird interactions and bugs that come up here and there and it being such and old and redone system makes me doubtful there is some simple spreadsheet or something like that holding everything nice and neet. It's probably findable but would probably take a bit of digging and possibly help of people who don't work their no more
    The litmus test for this in MMOs is whether servers have to be 100% shut down in order to change such values.

If servers need to be completely turned off, that leaves 2 things:

The values are written into the program itself, as an Enum or whatever (kids stuff, highly unlikely)

Or there's a nice and moderatly neat table on their server that holds data, and the program parses it on boot.

Id imagine zone data is dynamically loaded, as SE only needs to shut zones down to patch them, and not the whole server.

Most of everything else is probably a parsed tabled, which means SE has to reboot the servers to reparse whatever new values they put in. This is what makes emergency maints much shorter, since they prolly are editting that data before servers go down, and then its just the 1~2 hour boot process.

Theres probably some kind of clipboard checklist a dev has to go through when server is rebooted before it gets opened to service, to make sure everything is kept safe and to prevent any unwanted crashing and etc. Thats probably why we'd never see a maintenance less than an hour or two long.

The main isnt for fixing the bugs, they're already patched in. Maint time is them rebooting and double checking and triple checking everything works before opening the server to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    Pretty sure that was just Matsui speaking off what he thought he remembered. I really doubt he actually consulted with any of the spell mechanic programmers before talking offhandedly about blind's primary stat.
    Unless a dev post specifically has "Matsui here" or "Fujito here", it's being made by one of the community reps (Gildrein and Grazsash usually).

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

They probably assumed because the first post was a Matsui post (March Job Adjustments 3/13) all the ones after it were as well.

It's kinda sad that Rhapsodies is gonna be the last chapter before moving to mobile. But! I'm being hopeful that even if we loose our old character and stuff, the mobile version will be a fresh start and really improve some things. I'm trying to think of it as a chance to re experience FFXI when it was new :D

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How many people would play the mobile version? I definitely won't be one of them.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I hate phone games tbh, so I'll prolly just play it on a lunch break or something.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    I hate phone games tbh, so I'll prolly just play it on a lunch break or something.
    That Vita though!

Well phone games aren't my favorite, but there are a few you can enjoy. And as our smart phones grow smarter the kinds of games we can get will just grow, before we know it we could have a game like FFXIV on our phones.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I'd rather it be on Vita than phone tbh lol but prolly must less profit.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Phone controls are just not comfortable for me. It's not really even going to matter how advanced phones become, they just are not made for playing games on to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    Phone controls are just not comfortable for me. It's not really even going to matter how advanced phones become, they just are not made for playing games on to me.
    Well you could maybe get rich inventing the phone ment for gaming :D

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Maybe like in the movies where the screen projects out and you can type on it or do virtual reality shit, all that future stuff!

Maybe be some day, but I believe if they do the UI right it can still be a fun game, and who knows maybe they'll do on upgraded computer version too. Just because they wan't to do a mobile version doesn't mean computers can't get some lovin' too :D

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by MoogleRune_Sigma View Post
    Sony already made one i think
    Im sure one of their phones slide to reveal a gamepad instead of a keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Sony already made one i think
    Im sure one of their phones slide to reveal a gamepad instead of a keyboard.
    That sounds awesome :D

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by MoogleRune_Sigma View Post
    I thought that's what those huge almost tablet sized phones were for...

Xperia Play, I have one and play PS1 roms on it from an SD card. Unfortunately, it didn't future proof too well and a lot of today's more complex games are unplayable, nevermind the itty bitty built in memory and bloatware you can't remove.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mist Monster
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

damn I really want to come back for this.. but I think all my friends on Fenrir are gone, I haven't played in over a year and I wasn't that awesome of a player anyway. On top of that I have to learn gearswap and spellcast was hard enough.

Well it's not all ways about being the best but just having fun with friends. But I can understand not wanting to go back if all your friends are gone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast