BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

And while I'm going to sound like a broken record, I've had a blast since being back. Forgot how much I love FFXI's music. $10 game and $12 a month isn't going to change anyone's quality of life so if you're on the fence....do it!

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Out of curiosity, what are the more popular servers?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Asura for NA, Odin for JP, everything else is fairly low pop. Like 200-300 people. Asura and Odin are like 2k+ each.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Right now, 7:20PM EST and Odin has 614 online.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I actually found my original play online box with codes. What else do I need? Didn't I see I just need to know the character names, etc? I know I don't have any of the cards I used, but I think I know the addresses at the time.

Wasn't sure if I should make a new thread for this or if this one would be appropriate, but Kotaku recently reported on people experiencing private servers: https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xis...Kotaku_twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I figured people play on private servers mostly cause its free...

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Rehn View Post
    I figured people play on private servers mostly cause its free...
    A lot of private servers are also pre-Abyssean, which appeals to a lot of folks nostalgia, and a lot of the quality-of-life-hacks that are floating about don't get you banhammered.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If WOW Vanilla becomes a big success I could definitely see SE repurposing one or two of their low population servers and rolling it back to RoZ or CoP era. Maybe including some of the present day QOL updates like armor storage and warping using HP crystals.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I can see them not doing that and continuing to spend zero dollars on FFXI. They are still milking people. The playerbase is barely big enough to continue supporting it. Definitely not worth it for them to do any of that work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I can see them not doing that and continuing to spend zero dollars on FFXI. They are still milking people. The playerbase is barely big enough to continue supporting it. Definitely not worth it for them to do any of that work.
    You're right, but at the same time, they havent invested anything into FFXI in years. I feel its kind of circular logic on their part. They don't invest because there's enough interest/players, but there's not enough interest/players because they don't invest.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    You're right, but at the same time, they havent invested anything into FFXI in years. I feel its kind of circular logic on their part. They don't invest because there's enough interest/players, but there's not enough interest/players because they don't invest.
    It's a 15 year old game. They aren't going to invest.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Technically speaking they recently made some huge deal about getting somebody or another to develop a couple new musical scores. And also did some massive network hardware upgrades. Not a huge investment by any stretch and mostly just to keep things working good and something that is apart of another low depth content to farm ad nasuem for the next year or 2. I could see them doing say addons maybe but that would be pushing it especially with the whole ps2 dev kit fiasco

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    It's a 15 year old game. They aren't going to invest.
    I think the ps2 devkit spaghetti code is the issue, not the age of the game. There are MMOs at comparable ages that still get investment.

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    I think the ps2 devkit spaghetti code is the issue, not the age of the game. There are MMOs at comparable ages that still get investment.
    There are MMOs with comparable ages *and lower user bases* that still get investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Marootsoobutsu View Post
    There are MMOs with comparable ages *and lower user bases* that still get investment.
    Doesn't EQ1 have a lower userbase? If not this second, but in the last few years? They're getting a new expansion in 2 weeks.

I imagine the game would have received more love if it still wasn't a hatch job of a PS2 port.

That said, having not played in many years it does surprise me how much they've done with the game.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's kind of amazing how much they've done. A lot of quality of life stuff that has existed on 3rd party software has become official parts of the game... of course we've improved upon that but still.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Only took 15 years.

I look to it more as SE wanting a better return on their investment than pleasing a few hundred people who play on "classic" private servers. Meanwhile, I'd make an argument that private servers would be that much more popular if they weren't more or less only coded up to CoP.

Either way, let Wildstar be a lesson for those who pine for the good ol' days in today's MMO market. WoW will probably have an okay spike of curiosity at first, but it'll drop off fast depending on just where they set anchor and handle QoL things/UI support.